Recommitted Jy Simpkin [re-signed 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

24 next season and one might argue his teams best player. Will jy choose to stick around if his team struggle yet again?

What is his market rate and how much will north offer? Very impressive player imho
Probably our next captain, thinking he will resign for a few years @ 700 to 800.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just won his first b&f he is well on his way and right at the top of his draft.
Yeah okay, but did I dispute that?

He's clearly a whole tier worse than the likes of Petracca, Bont, Oliver etc at the moment.

Not saying it's impossible for him to get there, but it's just the way it is CURRENTLY.

He's clearly a whole tier worse than the likes of Petracca, Bont, Oliver etc at the moment.

Not saying it's impossible for him to get there, but it's just the way it is CURRENTLY.
Not disputing your rating but you have listed players all drafted before him and should be more advanced. Bont was drafted 3 years before Jy.

For a 2016 redraft of midfielders, I'd have it as:

1. Hugh Mccluggage
2. Shai Bolton
3. Jy Simpkin
4. Andrew Mcgrath
5. Tim Taranto

If anything Mcgrath needs to leave Essendon as soon as possible. Being 4th in line (Stringer, Parish, Merrett) when it comes to midfield minutes is going to ruin his career, Mcgrath has the potential to be the best midfielder of this draft.

Not disputing your rating but you have listed players all drafted before him and should be more advanced. Bont was drafted 3 years before Jy.
Ok but I literally said he is outperforming his draft year/draft pick... You guys are just overreacting by me labelling him as a B grade midfield.

Him being a B grade midfielder at this age is a compliment/acknowledgement of his progress.

Ok but I literally said he is outperforming his draft year/draft pick... You guys are just overreacting by me labelling him as a B grade midfield.

Him being a B grade midfielder at this age is a compliment/acknowledgement of his progress.
Again - Not disputing your rating. If he ends up in the top few in his draft class then we have an A grader.

For sure, he’s not at the level of those you list.

But he’s tracking pretty bloody well.

Well infront of Trac at same age. Comparable with Oliver. Comparable with the Bont too.

Does need to hit the scoreboard more, especially in relation to the guns youve mentioned.

For sure, he’s not at the level of those you list.

But he’s tracking pretty bloody well.

Well infront of Trac at same age. Comparable with Oliver. Comparable with the Bont too.

Does need to hit the scoreboard more, especially in relation to the guns youve mentioned.
Again, never have I ever disputed this. This is becoming a very weird and unnecessary debate.

Although, forward craft is not something that can be easily developed, which is why many of these mids train as forwards early in their career because opportunities to learn how to play as a forward is scarce later on.

Don't think Simpkin has the upside of any of the above mids. But think he can eventually be a Zac Merrett/Travis Boak/Luke Parker standard, top 15 - 20 midfielder in the comp level of player.

Again, never have I ever disputed this. This is becoming a very weird and unnecessary debate.

Although, forward craft is not something that can be easily developed, which is why many of these mids train as forwards early in their career because opportunities to learn how to play as a forward is scarce later on.

Don't think Simpkin has the upside of any of the above mids. But think he can eventually be a Zac Merrett/Travis Boak/Luke Parker standard, top 15 - 20 midfielder in the comp level of player.

I’m not debating you, just talking about a good young player.

It’s funny with his forward craft as he looked promising in his first year as a small forward. I think part of his problem now might be kicking depth (can’t really kick goals from outside 50) and he doesn’t rest forward.

There’s an interesting debate on the North board as to where he ends up compared to the other young North mids.

Probably more of a B+

I think he's likely to end up the 4th or 5th best mid at North though, which bodes well.

For a 2016 redraft of midfielders, I'd have it as:

1. Hugh Mccluggage
2. Shai Bolton
3. Jy Simpkin
4. Andrew Mcgrath
5. Tim Taranto

If anything Mcgrath needs to leave Essendon as soon as possible. Being 4th in line (Stringer, Parish, Merrett) when it comes to midfield minutes is going to ruin his career, Mcgrath has the potential to be the best midfielder of this draft.
McCluggage is clearly no 1. I'd have Taranto 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back