Traded Jye Caldwell [traded with #44 and #74 to Essendon for #29 and 2021 R2]

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid is legit, you could see it in our game on the weekend.

By the end of the year he's going to be hot property, maybe the hottest property of trade week in terms of young players if he doesn't re-sign by the end of the year.

He actually reminds me of a young Ryan Griffen, possibly even a bit quicker. He's very explosive off the mark around stoppages.

I'd be perfectly happy offering one of our first rounders for him if it fell between 6-14, I think he would compliment our midfield group perfectly.

I think they will get rid of Hately before Caldwell if they have to.

I think he will be in and out of their team this year

I don't think that would really dissuade teams.

He went #11 in what was likely the strongest draft of the last decade and potentially the next decade.

Everything I've seen so far justifies that and he may even end up one of the better players of that draft.

His leg speed in a genuine midfielder is pretty much wanted by every side in the comp atm.

I don't think that would really dissuade teams.

He went #11 in what was likely the strongest draft of the last decade and potentially the next decade.

Everything I've seen so far justifies that and he may even end up one of the better players of that draft.

His leg speed in a genuine midfielder is pretty much wanted by every side in the comp atm.
Neither more so from a value stand point.

They’ve let high fringe draft recruits go cheap

Caldwell probably won’t be as cheap. But a second rounder I think is what he will end up

Caldwell probably won’t be as cheap. But a second rounder I think is what he will end up

Depends on a few factors like contract value, demand etc

It's also down to what some clubs are willing to pay.

If there's 4-5 teams in for him, then he's not going for a second rounder, especially if he plays 15+ games and is basically a legitimate 19 year old best 22 player in a strong side.

No chance he goes for a second rounder. Clubs will be lining up for him. GWS have let some players go cheap due to their salary or injuries, but Caldwell is on stuff all, fit and playing seniors.
He will possibly be in and out of the side a bit, but so are a lot of players in their second year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No chance he goes for a second rounder. Clubs will be lining up for him. GWS have let some players go cheap due to their salary or injuries, but Caldwell is on stuff all, fit and playing seniors.
He will possibly be in and out of the side a bit, but so are a lot of players in their second year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think that’s the point he is on little but will be due for a fair pay rise that giants will likely not be able to accomodate with players like Cameron OOC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already been said o the Lions board by other posters, that they’d trade both our firsts for him.

Yep. Will be a jet. It’s why GWS even though they don’t want to lose either will let Hately go first

Yep. Will be a jet. It’s why GWS even though they don’t want to lose either will let Hately go first
Unfortunately - because I like Hately - I agree: Jye is too much of a potential gun for us to lightly part with him, so would be higher in the priority list to retain. In the end it would come down to two things - best list balance given spots & $, and x-factor vs solid performance.

Hopefully the list management folk rate Jye highly too & don't give him away for a third round pick.

Unfortunately - because I like Hately - I agree: Jye is too much of a potential gun for us to lightly part with him, so would be higher in the priority list to retain. In the end it would come down to two things - best list balance given spots & $, and x-factor vs solid performance.

Hopefully the list management folk rate Jye highly too & don't give him away for a third round pick.

That's just not going to happen. He's worth a first rounder in this coming draft, unless he does an ACL before years end.

It does seem that something unseen is always somehow better than for someone who has been in the system for a couple of years with little opportunity.
I know Silvagni rated Caldwell highly....very highly, for what that's worth.

That's just not going to happen. He's worth a first rounder in this coming draft, unless he does an ACL before years end.

It does seem that something unseen is always somehow better than for someone who has been in the system for a couple of years with little opportunity.
I know Silvagni rated Caldwell highly....very highly, for what that's worth.

He's not really unseen.

He played on the weekend and at the end of 2019.

Was one of my favourite players pre-draft. He would be a perfect fit for port next to our young stars but I can’t imagine he goes anywhere but back to Vic really. There will be interest there.

Understatement.

Will be Chris Judd by the end of trade week after the media beat up.

The 'unseen' was a reference to this years draftees.
Surely recruiters have not forgotten what they saw of Jye in 2018 and for the little that has been on display in his AFL career. Big mistake if they have.

With the exception of Academy and what not I’d rather give our first to Caldwell this year anyway and that’s a minimum I’d do.

He'll still be worth a pick somewhere in the 10-20 range at worst if he stays on the park and plays senior footy most of the year, mids with his speed and x factor don't grow on trees.

This kid is legit, you could see it in our game on the weekend.

By the end of the year he's going to be hot property, maybe the hottest property of trade week in terms of young players if he doesn't re-sign by the end of the year.

He actually reminds me of a young Ryan Griffen, possibly even a bit quicker. He's very explosive off the mark around stoppages.

I'd be perfectly happy offering one of our first rounders for him if it fell between 6-14, I think he would compliment our midfield group perfectly.

I think they will get rid of Hately before Caldwell if they have to.

His little exposed form at AFL level is seriously impressive. His movement around the packs is something that our next wave of mids currently dont have. We have plenty of good, young insiders that are a bit one-paced but this kid is the POD mid that compliments what they do. The last sentence sums it up exactly for me. Hately will still get us back into the first round.

Suns also were keen on Jye Caldwell, if Ben King was taken at Pick 6 he would of been a Sun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back