Traded Jye Caldwell [traded with #44 and #74 to Essendon for #29 and 2021 R2]

Remove this Banner Ad

The messaging out of Saints has changed for sure, weird that he'd initially indicate he was planning to stay to them

Saints making the finals may have helped. Winning a final even more. Especially with the connection of him growing up as a Saints diehard.

And then:
  • 5 year contract
  • good money
  • less competition in the St Kilda midfield and so more chance for him to play every week
  • that all of our trade targets of last year have gone ok with regular games
All combine to make us a good fit for him.

First up to the Saints supporters great win on Saturday night with the history between the 2 clubs I think most Giants supporters were behind you and good luck for Friday night
And although I would like the club to keep Caldwell as I think he has a point of difference to our mids and he has served his apprenticeship where is the confidence coming from that he has signed with you guys? And some realistic trade proposals if it does happen?

Thanks

First up to the Saints supporters great win on Saturday night with the history between the 2 clubs I think most Giants supporters were behind you and good luck for Friday night
And although I would like the club to keep Caldwell as I think he has a point of difference to our mids and he has served his apprenticeship where is the confidence coming from that he has signed with you guys? And some realistic trade proposals if it does happen?

Thanks
Nothing official yet but there are a few sources very confident he has agreed.

In terms of a realistic trade proposal, we currently have pick 15 in the draft which will likely turn I to 17 after free agency.

That seems pretty close to spot on IMO. There might be a few late pick swaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon making a late play for Caldwell apparently.

Seems a strange target for them. They already have so many similar mids.

They aren't exactly an enticing club to go to at the moment.
Why would any player want to jump ship to the steaming turd that is Essendon right now? Also, not playing finals for a very long time. St.Kilda ticks all the boxes if Caldwell does decide to leave. Saints first will get it done quickly.

SEN reporting its down to GWS, Essendon or St Kilda.

Also claiming the decision will be based off where he can play senior football and fit into a side.

Of course I’m biased, but tell me that the best fit wouldn’t be the Saints.

Also claiming the decision will be based off where he can play senior football and fit into a side.

Essendon tipped to have salary cap to burn.

Well, I mean, if his decision is where can play senior football...we have zero good players haha.

If you're talking about best fit as in overall situation - a combination of chance to win, get a game, play a role etc... then sure St. Kilda.

Players rarely swap clubs only for money. Ablett to GC would be one of the few.

Dons have a new coach, a list in turmoil, more players declaring or hinting that they will go..... look more likely than not to go down the ladder substantially.

Saints offer a known and well regarded coach, an excellent record with incoming players (including Steele from GWS), a young and good list but who need an extra mid or two (hence Caldwell). Reportedly has been offered an attractive 5 year deal.

Add in the Saints have been chasing him for a while and the extra romance of Jye being a passionate St Kilda fan and you have a combination of reasons why he he would fit well at the Saints.

Players also very much want to enjoy their football career. Any player joining the Dons this trade period will be joining a club with a vast array of question marks.

Players rarely swap clubs only for money. Ablett to GC would be one of the few.

Dons have a new coach, a list in turmoil, more players declaring or hinting that they will go..... look more likely than not to go down the ladder substantially.

Saints offer a known and well regarded coach, an excellent record with incoming players (including Steele from GWS), a young and good list but who need an extra mid or two (hence Caldwell). Reportedly has been offered an attractive 5 year deal.

Add in the Saints have been chasing him for a while and the extra romance of Jye being a passionate St Kilda fan and you have a combination of reasons why he he would fit well at the Saints.

Players also very much want to enjoy their football career. Any player joining the Dons this trade period will be joining a club with a vast array of question marks.

Dylan Shiel would be another.

I can't see why he would choose Essendon over St Kilda. Plus, I really hope we go for O'Halloran rather than Caldwell due to list needs although a package deal for both would be enticing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back