Traded Jye Caldwell [traded with #44 and #74 to Essendon for #29 and 2021 R2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying you havent seen him play tagging roles?
No, I haven't seen him play as a tagger. Said that twice now. I've seen him line up close to players in stoppages, but not tagging for full games.

I didn't watch the Essendon game, which other games did he play as a tagger?

Are you still saying he played backline against GC?

Last edited:
Shiel, played backline against GC. Has spent minimal time in the centre square.

Edit, was part of the rotation on Tim Kelly, him and Hopper.
So I thought I'd have a look on Kayo this arvo to see what kind of a tagging job Caldwell did on Shiel.

I can tell you that just about every midfielder from the Giants went to Shiel at the stoppages at stages, except for one... Caldwell. Could not see him next to Shiel at one stoppage and played pretty much the full game forward (seemed like Saad was on him most of the night).

So no, he didn't tag Shiel.

Not sure why you'd lie about that to be honest.

So I thought I'd have a look on Kayo this arvo to see what kind of a tagging job Caldwell did on Shiel.

I can tell you that just about every midfielder from the Giants went to Shiel at the stoppages at stages, except for one... Caldwell. Could not see him next to Shiel at one stoppage and played pretty much the full game forward (seemed like Saad was on him most of the night).

Why argue this crap thing , what matter is after trade period which team Calwell choose . If he look for money like jack Martin, could go pre season draft .Hawthorn , Sydney , north could all afford to paid him well.

Last edited:

Complete bollocks.

Good kid, obvious talent, will flourish at a new club with greater opportunities, and I bet you he knows this too.

Why would a young mid at GWS compromise his career and fight for a spot with Hopper, Taranto, Kelly, Green, Williams (part-time inside), Whitfield (wing) etc, when he can just get an accelerated career elsewhere?

Good kid, obvious talent, will flourish at a new club with greater opportunities, and I bet you he knows this too.

Why would a young mid at GWS compromise his career and fight for a spot with Hopper, Taranto, Kelly, Green, Williams (part-time inside), Whitfield (wing) etc, when he can just get an accelerated career elsewhere?
Didn't you just say in the Finlayson thread that our midfield is garbage?

If the kid really wants to leave (we dont know if he does)

He would be better off going to a team thats's going to play finals where the midfield is reasonable set but he can see a spot opening up for him in 1-2 years time. Welcome to Richmond Jye you will have to wait for the #8 jumper for 2 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit to the Saints, that is a passable imitation of a North offer. But still good footballer and all as the kid might be, he has a fair way to go. Tom Green is way ahead and imo Hately offers more than Jye

Looks like a good source
Was a direct quote from Mick McGuane's article in Yesterdays Herald Sun.

I like it. We obviously rate him (tried to trade for an extra pick during live trading on draft night, so that we could pick him), so why not go hard for him.

We need someone like him who we can plug-and-play more than we need a raw kid from the draft- especially this compromised one.

Build our midfield around Steele, Jones, Gresham, Clark, Bytel and Caldwell.

We went similarly hard for Draper this time last year (with a multi-year deal, on way more money than anyone thought he was worth), but we probably wouldn't be complaining about that now, if we'd gotten him.

Last edited:
Its just another rumour.. but.. If the following is correct..

View attachment 964282

Its a bit hard to offer that much coin and at the same time claim he’s not worthy of a first round draft pick!..

Ahh the old bigfooty fallacy of “big contract offer must = good pick offer”.

Caldwell is uncontracted. Whilst he cannot decide his fate entirely, unfortunately AFL clubs largely kowtow to player demands in this situation. As such, the Saints offer a larger contract than anyone else to persuade Caldwell to nominate St Kilda, and only St Kilda.

Why? Because if he does that, then that almost eliminates other suitors. So what does that mean, if other suitors are eliminated? There’s no pick bidding war; therefore they can offer a lower pick than if Caldwell had multiple equal suitors vying to give the best deal to GWS.

It’s basic supply and demand. A big contract offer kills the “demand” by making a player exclusively nominate one club. No

Caldwell is uncontracted. Whilst he cannot decide his fate entirely, unfortunately AFL clubs largely kowtow to player demands in this situation. As such, the Saints offer a larger contract than anyone else to persuade Caldwell to nominate St Kilda, and only St Kilda.

Why? Because if he does that, then that almost eliminates other suitors. So what does that mean, if other suitors are eliminated? There’s no pick bidding war; therefore they can offer a lower pick than if Caldwell had multiple equal suitors vying to give the best deal to GWS.

It’s basic supply and demand. A big contract offer kills the “demand” by making a player exclusively nominate one club. No
4th round pick ,you happy now .

Anyone that reckons their club isn't gonna have to give up a first round pick this year is kidding themselves. Already a first round pick this year is worth less in other years due to a lot of father sons and academy players not to mention most vic prospects have not played a game this year.

You just made all that up..

Here.. now I’ll do exactly the same as you have done.. and make my own bs comment up..

Caldwell, if he decides to leave GWS, will pick the club he wants to go to... if that club also wants him and is willing to pay him $500-$600k for his services then that club can hardly turn around and say “but we dont think hes a first round draft pick at the trade table” without being laughed at.

But St Kilda have normally always been a fair club to deal with at the trade table.

A second round draft pick this year will be close to junk in value..

A young lad taken in the first round of the 2018 draft, which has lived up to its “superdraft” title, and has two years under his belt learning his craft with some of the comps best mids is a hell of a lot more valuable than a speculative pick in this years compromised draft.. especially given none of the Victorian draftees have even been playing to enable clubs to access them.

Cant really see GWS are going to be too happy to accept a second rounder for Caldwell that could end up pushing out to a pick in the 30’s after compo picks are allocated and all the Academy and FS bids come in..

If thats the case GWS may simply think “if we get cant get something of any value for him we might aswell take a stand and just send him to the PSD instead.. he can take his chances there”..

You just made all that up..

Here.. now I’ll do exactly the same as you have done.. and make my own bs comment up..

Caldwell, if he decides to leave GWS, will pick the club he wants to go to... if that club also wants him and is willing to pay him $500-$600k for his services then that club can hardly turn around and say “but we dont think hes a first round draft pick at the trade table” without being laughed at.

But St Kilda have normally always been a fair club to deal with at the trade table.

A second round draft pick this year will be close to junk in value..

A young lad taken in the first round of the 2018 draft, which has lived up to its “superdraft” title, and has two years under his belt learning his craft with some of the comps best mids is a hell of a lot more valuable than a speculative pick in this years compromised draft.. especially given none of the Victorian draftees have even been playing to enable clubs to access them.

Cant really see GWS are going to be too happy to accept a second rounder for Caldwell that could end up pushing out to a pick in the 30’s after compo picks are allocated and all the Academy and FS bids come in..

If thats the case GWS may simply think “if we get cant get something of any value for him we might aswell take a stand and just send him to the PSD instead.. he can take his chances there”..
Totally agree with your logic here. I think a lot of on BigFooty people get really stingy with draft picks pre-trade period, and most of the time it isnt reflected in the actual trades that happen during trade week. Often times people say what they'd want to pay, and then find the logic to support their desires, not necessarily the real value.
Just one thing though, and something I think a few on here are forgetting when talking specifically about The Saints and Caldwell, we don't actually have a second rounder this year (we traded it to Freo as part of the Hill deal). So any talk about Saints and second rounders doesn't involve either this years compromised draft, or our draft position this year (though hopefully we will finish in a similar postion next year).
Value wise, Calwell in my opinion sits between 15-25. This year, maybe a bit higher because of the shitty draft. Our first this year with something coming back seems fair, and we have a good trading relationship with GWS so I can see it getting done, if Caldwell wants the Saints and GWS are happy to let him go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back