Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Kai Lohmann
Height: 185cm
Weight: 76kg
D.O.B: 06-05-2003
Leagues: NAB League Boys
POSITION: Medium Forward
SNAPSHOT: "An elite athlete who has a combination of speed, evasion and vertical leap, making him a damaging forward who is clean overhead and can also get things done at ground level."

Kai Lohmann is an exciting talent out of the Greater Western Victoria (GWV) Rebels who has come on in leaps and bounds this year. The athletic talent can do some serious damage with ball in hand, and is clean in the air and at the coalface. He does have areas to improve such as his off-ball work and accumulation, but his overall potential is quite high and could be one of the bolters in the draft.

The Lions have gone back to a successful hunting ground with the selection of Kai Lohmann with pick 20 in the NAB AFL Draft.

The Club’s second pick comes from the same footballing nursery in Ballarat that produced Hugh McCluggage, the Berry brothers, Tom and Jarrod and Harry Sharp.

Lohmann played on the wing and across half back at 16s level for Vic Country, however he has been used with great effect across half forward this season in a strong Greater Western Victoria Rebels team.

Considered one of the more eye-catching players in the draft, Lohmann roared up the draft rankings this season with his ability to sniff out a goal.

Considered equally dangerous in the air or crumbing at ground level, National Recruiting Manager Stephen Conole describes Lohmann as a competitive player that demonstrates high level AFL traits with his strong overhead marking for his size, pace and willingness to attack the game.

Crusha

Growing Old (dis)Gracefully
Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Difficult trying to find something on-line ...... but:
Found a highlight video of St Pats Ballarat covering their Grand final win in 2021.
Not a lot of football highlights, but I have cut those involving Kai (don't blink), as well as some non playing glimpses as well.
(Credit to the creator of the original - Kade Towk)

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for posting that :thumbsu: I really hope he keeps the long sleeves. It would please the Darryl White fan boy in me greatly!

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
the Tigers chose Brown to add to their talented defensive group and as a partner to Gibcus in an exciting young backline. Eye-catching forward Kai Lohmann was also in the Tigers' mix.

Brown had also been linked to the Swans, who looked at Lohmann but chose Angus Sheldrick, the hard-nosed midfielder from Western Australia who had interest from Geelong early in the second round.

The Tigers remained active, seeing if they could package picks in the 20s to nab Brisbane's final pick of the first round, but the Lions stuck with it and drafted Lohmann, who had also been a chance for North Melbourne's early second-round choice.

ZoBlitz

The Ghost Who Walks
Sep 20, 2004
Brisbane/Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lohmann Excited to Join Childhood Friend

article-size-template.png

Kai Lohmann could not be more excited to be a Lion and join his close mate, Harry Sharp.

Speaking to the Roar Deal, the 18-year-old explained that heading north is a full circle experience.

"I was at Sharpy's house when he was drafted. Hearing him called and seeing the likes of Zorko and Rayner message him I just thought "I hope that can be me next year," and to now be heading up myself, I'm over the moon."

Hailing from the rural town of Maryborough, Lohmann and his brother moved to Ballarat to pursue football, where he quickly reconnected with childhood friend, Sharp.

"I've known Sharpy since I was about 4. We had a caravan down in Ocean Grove and so did his family. My brother and I wanted to advance our football, so we moved up to Ballarat and Harry introduced me to the friendship group."

That friendship still stands strong to this day, with the Lions winger one of the first to contact Lohmann on draft night.

"Harry FaceTimed me as soon as I got drafted. He got emotional and it was a pretty special moment to share.

"He was celebrating graduation at the time and was super excited and I didn't expect it, it was a great moment."

Lohmann's journey up to Brisbane will have to wait a little longer however, with borders not set to open to Victoria until December 17th.

"I think we'll be up after Christmas or early next year. It's pretty frustrating because you're wanting to get up and meet everyone and get stuck into it.

"But it's been nice to spend some time with family before the journey begins. I've been trying to do as much as I can training wise to prepare and organise where I'll live when I'm up there."

With mercurial ability, the GWV Rebels product draws comparisons to the likes of Isaac Heeney and Brisbane's very own Lincoln McCarthy.

"I'm a bit of a high-flying half-forward and like to play a bit through the midfield," Lohmann said.

"I'm pretty quick and love a one-on-one situation. I love the marking contest and bringing teammates into the game."

Asked how he goes in comparison to close friend and running machine Harry Sharp, Lohmann backed his ability.

"Over a short distance I think I've got him, he takes a while to get off the mark... I'm not sure he'll like me saying that.

"But everyone knows how strong an endurance runner he is and he's shown that when he played earlier in the year."

Lohmann becomes the fifth Ballarat recruit for the Lions, joining Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod and Thomas Berry and Harry Sharp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad