Senior Kai Lohmann (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Qscan Injury Update: Season Over for Young Lion

The Lions however confirm exciting forward Kai Lohmann will miss the rest of the 2023 finals series after fracturing his collarbone in Saturday’s VFL Semi Final.

The 20-year-old, who landed heavily after taking a high-flying mark on Saturday, had surgery on Tuesday morning.

Lohmann is expected to return to running within the next four weeks and build towards pre-season.

Young guns Lohmann, Wilmot extend stay at Lions den

230297_Wilmot_Lohmann_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have completed an impressive double signing to have young guns Darcy Wilmot and Kai Lohmann extend their time with the Club.

With plenty of excitement already surrounding the Lions ahead of Saturday night’s home Preliminary Final at The Gabba, it has been amplified by securing two of the Club’s future stars in the lead up.

Wilmot, who was already contracted until the end of the 2025 season, has signed a two-year extension to remain a Lion until at least the end of 2027.

While Lohmann has resisted the temptation from rival clubs trying to lure him back home to Victoria by instead penning a new two-year deal with Brisbane.

“We are thrilled to have Darcy and Kai staying at the Brisbane Lions as they are both promising talents who we believe will play important roles in the future success of our Club,” Lions general manager of football, Danny Daly said.

“Darcy made his debut in the finals for us last year and from that moment he has just looked at home at AFL level and continues to improve each week.

“Kai has worked hard and was rewarded with several AFL games in what was an injury interrupted year, but we know what he is capable of over the next two years.”

Wilmot has come along in leaps and bounds since making his debut in last season’s Elimination Final win against Richmond.

As a result, the dashing and charismatic defender has helped the Lions become a true contender in 2023 and at the same time was named the Round 14 nominee for the AFL Rising Star.

Now the 19-year-old from Melbourne, who was the Club’s first pick in the 2021 NAB National Draft with selection 16, wants nothing more than to call Brisbane home.

“I am pumped to sign on for two more years with the Brisbane Lions because I couldn’t imagine myself being anywhere else than here with this Club and this group,” Wilmot said.

“I love the culture of the Club which is due to the quality of people here including players, coaches and staff. And Brissy (Brisbane) is a beautiful place to be.

“We have a bright future ahead of us and I want to help the Brisbane Lions continue to be successful and give this Club what it deserves by going all the way.”

Fellow Lions young gun Lohmann echoed the words of his teammate when explaining why he is staying in maroon, blue and gold for another two years.

The 20-year-old forward known for his high-flying marks and craftiness around goals made six appearances at AFL level this season before it was cut short due to a broken collarbone.

Though with a taste for the top level Lohmann has taken plenty of confidence and is determined to hit the ground running when he returns to play in 2024.

“What made me re-sign was the great group that we’ve got here, the support and love everyone has for each other is like family and the relationships I’ve made are great and I have so much fun with my best mates every day,” Lohmann said.

“I’m excited for the next couple of years ahead and what it might hold for this footy club and myself individually - I’m ready to work hard and learn off the coaches and my teammates to get better every day and to achieve what I want to achieve.

“I feel like I haven’t achieved what I was hoping in playing more AFL so I’m excited to do that over the next few years and really make a name for myself.

“It’s obviously shattering being injured but I’m over the moon the boys are doing so well and ready to bring energy to the group in these exciting weeks ahead hopefully.”

The signings of Lohmann and Wilmot cap off a big week for the Brisbane Lions as they come just a day after Irish defender Conor McKenna also committed to the Club for two more years.

Quick little story re Kai: I went to the Prelim at the Gabba and I’d spent the previous 24 hours really ill from a food allergy incident…I was running so rough I wasn’t even having a beer!

Anyway, as Carlton kicked their 4th in the first qtr Carlton onslaught, I got a bit overwhelmed…low blood sugar, all the noise and of course the crushing disappointment of our game start has me running for some fresh air in the concourse…as I was heading down the stairs, I nearly cannoned into Kai and his partner and despite how I was feeling I managed to blurt out a “hey Kai, great news on the signing…welcome back mate”

He gave me a little fist bump and a smile and I was reminded that this was just one game and that our future is bright for years to come with guys like Kai prepared to be patient and stick around the group…I swear I started to feel better immediately and as I walked back to my seat a few minutes later, I had a sense of calm and watched Hipwood kick the first of many, many Lions goals and enjoyed the best live football experience of my life!

So a big thanks to Kai, even as an injured spectator, he was making a difference for the fans 🙏

Lions break duck in ruthless fashion to leave Roos in disarray

Cobra Kai could be the guy

After three games as the sub to start his season, Kai Lohmann was given a full game – and boy, he made the most of it. The talented half-forward that turned his back on rival offers to stay with Brisbane at the end of last season kicked two goals from his 18 disposals (that included eight score involvements) and looked lively any time the ball was forward of centre. The 20-year-old should now get an extended run of games to show whether he can impact consistently at the top level or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back