Free Agency Kaiden Brand [DFA, signed with Sydney]

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL.com.au believes that Hawks have stalled in talks with Brand.

Brand may look at being traded elsewhere with Lions, Saints, Dees, Roos & many more clubs looking for a Talls.

Brand is a SA boy.

Who would be interested?

This has been on the cards for a while. Players don't remain out of contract at this stage of the year unless the club wants to trade them or they want to go elsewhere. Unfortunately I suspect it is the latter with Brand which is disappointing as we have put 4 years into him and 198cm defenders don't grow on trees. He's worth more to us than what we will get in a trade given he has not cemented himself at senior level. But if he's out of contract and wants out, we will just have to cop what is offered by the club he wants to go to. Fear he will be a bit of a steal for whatever club that is as we won't get a pick better than a late second rounder.

Would love him at Port, Hombsch and Austin would work well with him and allow Trengove to play that second ruck/forward roll that Hinkley wants him in.

Maybe a deal with O'Shea?

This has been on the cards for a while. Players don't remain out of contract at this stage of the year unless the club wants to trade them or they want to go elsewhere. Unfortunately I suspect it is the latter with Brand which is disappointing as we have put 4 years into him and 198cm defenders don't grow on trees. He's worth more to us than what we will get in a trade given he has not cemented himself at senior level. But if he's out of contract and wants out, we will just have to cop what is offered by the club he wants to go to. Fear he will be a bit of a steal for whatever club that is as we won't get a pick better than a late second rounder.
He made his debut this year and is 22. You'll be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him.

The Hawks may have a good bargaining chip with his height. Very few key defenders are his height, and in an era where 2m key forwards are starting to become the regular; he'll be a tempting target. Would love to bring him to Collingwood, 2017 2nd round pick could be on the table, although it's very hard to judge his value. He would be able to relieve a bit of stress down back and allow us to go all out at a key forward this year in the ND.

brisbane really need another KPD or 2 to replace Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke, been on the hawks list for 4 years so must have something. maybe Chris Fagan can convince him to join him in sunny queensland.

i had never heard of him before the last couple of days what type of KPD is he? purely a stopper? intercept marking? any run? would appreciate a bit of insight from those in the know.

i had never heard of him before the last couple of days what type of KPD is he? purely a stopper? intercept marking? any run? would appreciate a bit of insight from those in the know.

When he tore us a new anus at AO earlier in the year, stopper/marker is what stood out for me from him. With his height, could be a top 5 defender in time.

brisbane really need another KPD or 2 to replace Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke, been on the hawks list for 4 years so must have something. maybe Chris Fagan can convince him to join him in sunny queensland.

Started out as a forward so he's got pretty strong hands, he's more of a stopper/quarterback kind of player, tight and neat skills, fairly good spoiler, lacks real rebound though, not much foot speed either which is a major downfall in the modern game.

So similar to a Jack Gunston situation?

Started out as a forward so he's got pretty strong hands, he's more of a stopper/quarterback kind of player, tight and neat skills, fairly good spoiler, lacks real rebound though, not much foot speed either which is a major downfall in the modern game.
He is super quick for a big man, disposal a little shaky. A big loss for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love him at Port, Hombsch and Austin would work well with him and allow Trengove to play that second ruck/forward roll that Hinkley wants him in.

Maybe a deal with O'Shea?

I don't think the idea is to shout out random Port Adelaide players names in order to make Box Hill stronger... Perhaps Port could take Nathan Lonie for Jay Shultz? Anyhow, if hawks lose Brand it will be for unders as he will make it. If your serious about a trade it will likely be for a draft pick. Unfortunately Brand isn't going to attract a best 22 player from another club...

I suggested this a few weeks ago
Hawks get JOM
Port get Brand and Hawks 2nd
GC get Hartlett and Hawks 1st
Picks can be this year or next. Come at me.

That would be an atrocious trade for Port. There's no chance in hell Hamish Hartlett is getting traded for a late 2nd and a fringe player.

Hartlett is under contract. This isn't a matter of Port having to take whatever they can get for him. He'll only get traded if Port are getting something truly worthwhile back, probably a mid first rounder. If the best we were offered was 'late 2nd rounder and a non-best 22 player', he'll still be at Port next year.

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between a fringe player and a developing kpp. I think Hartlett has largely been a disappointment but Gold Coast are apparently keen.

Personally I wouldn't be that keen on Port getting Brand anyway. I reckon Logan Austin showed more this year in the same position.
He'll need some help throughout the year. The Bulldogs have shown just how important depth in a position is. Roberts and Hamling have both played under 17 games of 25 for the year and they're in a Grand Final team. Best 22 is no longer a thing its more of a 30 person season

I suggested this a few weeks ago
Hawks get JOM
Port get Brand and Hawks 2nd
GC get Hartlett and Hawks 1st
Picks can be this year or next. Come at me.
Maybe a swap of second rounds,
Gold Coast get Hawks 2nd and Gold Coast give port an earlier 2nd round as they have shitloads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back