AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Out for extended period with stress fracture in foot - 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

My mail was Hank was found wanting in the professionalism stakes. Could play a bit but bit of a loose canon when it came to preparation. One comment was "would have been a star in the 70's and 80's when you did not have to prepare at 100% week in and week out.

I have not seen a lot of Baldwin but the little I did see of him as an under 16 was good.

Professionalism, bah!

A long way beneath Hank.

If he gets a fair run of it he will be our very own Jack Darling

On the flip side, if you know you’re going to be crap, you may as well just hoard talent. Tbh I would have thought another running defender would have been handy as well

Agreed. Love the draft strategy, the mids we need aren’t there, let’s just sort out our KPP for ten years so we can target picks for the next few.

If he gets a fair run of it he will be our very own Jack Darling
If he stays injury free, it means we're sorted for KPPs. We were missing that strong contested marking forward.
Just how Essendon can a guy get? I bet Dodoro had him rated pretty highly...
Not just Dodoro. He could have been a first-round pick if not for the two ACLs. Worth a shot with nothing to lose.

Why does it sound like his injuries are worse than your averge knee/ACL? Talented kids get picked up injured all the time Kemp, Burton, Georgiadis etc.

eDPS why did he slip till now? Glad we've taken a punt on him he looks good in highlights
The back to back ACL is the only reason he didn’t get taken, not on his ability whatsoever

Free hit on a talented kid that we absolutely require. Let’s hope we do the right thing and put him in rehab for the year to strengthen that knee right up and let the graft settle.

The percentages say kids with 2 acl injuries don’t make it but he has the talent, the medicos just need to be patient and take a different path to the norm.

We are definitely in rebuild mode so no pressure on the kid, I don’t expect us to have a successful season, bottom 4 expectations, but that’s okay with me if theirs light at end of the tunnel with the prospect of bringing in 2 top 10 midfielders in next years draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's the last star that's come from 2 recos in the early stages? I cant think of one.

Who's the last star that's come from 2 recos in the early stages? I cant think of one.
Gawn is the best example, although he’s probably more the exception and not the rule. There’s countless young players who never make it because of ACL injuries suffered when they’re young and there’s a reason we don’t know who a lot of them are.

That being said, given the wraps on the kid and our need for a quality player in his position I’m more than happy with this free swing.

Free hit on a talented kid that we absolutely require. Let’s hope we do the right thing and put him in rehab for the year to strengthen that knee right up and let the graft settle.

The percentages say kids with 2 acl injuries don’t make it but he has the talent, the medicos just need to be patient and take a different path to the norm.

We are definitely in rebuild mode so no pressure on the kid, I don’t expect us to have a successful season, bottom 4 expectations, but that’s okay with me if theirs light at end of the tunnel with the prospect of bringing in 2 top 10 midfielders in next years draft.
Sorry to come back on your board again but that is the best approach to take imo..have him in cotton wool this year and slowly build loads etc and play the long game. This kid IF he can get through his acl problems could be a very very good long term forward for you guys. At age 16 he was a real standout. Once again good luck and fingers crossed for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back