Kalgoorlie Racism (government endorsed)

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well this is pretty shithouse.
Kalgoorlie Mayor defends lack of drop-in centre, blames Aboriginal parents for social problems

By Sarah Dingle for Background Briefing

Kalgoorlie's Mayor has defended the town's lack of a drop-in centre for young Aboriginal people, while claiming that each generation of Aboriginal people is "worse than the one before".

In an interview with Background Briefing, Mayor John Bowler also defended millions of dollars in funding for the WA Goldfields town's golf club, where he is a member.

Calls for the drop-in centre from community leaders have grown louder since August, when Elijah Doughty, a 14-year-old Aboriginal boy, was found dead with a stolen motorbike after allegedly being hit by a ute.

Mr Bowler said the cash-strapped Kalgoorlie Boulder Council did not have the "spare hundreds of thousands of dollars" a drop-in centre would cost.

However, he said the council was "working towards that", and that social problems in Kalgoorlie began with older Aboriginal people living in the area.

"Everything comes, in a way, down to the parents," he said.

"What I'm saying is, it seems that each generation gets a little worse than the one before.

"I worry ... what's the next generation going to be like in 20 years' time?"

No conflict of interest: Mayor

While it has not been able to fund a drop-in centre, the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Council has subsidised the town's golf club by more than $25 million since November 2010.

The course is not expected to turn a profit for another six years.

Asked whether his membership of the golf club could be seen as a conflict of interest, Mr Bowler said the question was "stupid", and the club was a fantastic facility built by a previous mayor.

WA Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Peter Collier refused to condemn the Mayor's remarks about Aboriginal people, saying Mr Bowler was free to say what he liked.

"John's a friend of mine, but there's some few things I disagree with him on," Mr Collier said.

"I disagree with him on that one. Aboriginal people are beautiful people."

Mayor blames 'native title'

Mr Bowler said he thinks increasing Aboriginal social dysfunction is explained by a reliance on social handouts and the granting of native title rights.

"I think native title has been a big disruptor," he said.

"People in capital cities just don't get what you're talking about. Native titles, wonderful. Well, it's just destroyed them.

"Native title means a handful of the claim leaders get a lot of money, a lot of money. A few of the close relatives get a bit, and the bulk get nothing.

"Sadly, a lot of the native title money ends up in the hotel bottle shop or the TAB."

Kalgoorlie's main Aboriginal community, the Wongatha people, have no recognised native title claim.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-...boriginal-parents-for-social-problems/7972308

It's a bit of a running gag on this board to call Western Australia racist, but when the relevant WA ******* cabinet minister declines to condemn a mayor over this...

Last edited:

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
I would like to hear the opinion from a well known poster on this who is in exile and really knows his stuff on these issues.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It happened to the mob round 'ere a decade or so back. One family had flash cars and a few years of pokies and grog. Everyone else got squat.

They died young.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Pokemon is Life Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Check under your feet. You might have stepped on some black soil and found racism! :drunk:
Either you don't actually understand what racism is. Or you are a racist.

How do you not see the racism in this statement---- "each generation of Aboriginal people is "worse than the one before"."?

I can't even begin to understand what your saying about checking under foot for blacksoil, and thinking racism is below you and doesnt exist, because your above it.

Actually what do you mean with your comment?

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
How do you not see the racism in this statement---- "each generation of Aboriginal people is "worse than the one before"."?

What about the journalist and editor of that story?

when Elijah Doughty, a 14-year-old Aboriginal boy, was found dead with a stolen motorbike after allegedly being hit by a ute.

You have no problem with that racist bullshit they printed?

It was his bike he was run down on.

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors

I don't see how the reporter is racist for just reporting on the information presented.
I looked up to see if the bike was stolen or not, and I read what the grandfather said about the murdered boy.
He said the boy stole the bike, so it's hardly racist that the reported reported that the bike was stolen.

Where did you get your information from?

Mr Doughty said his grandson had two bikes of his own which had been stolen — “a lot of bikes go missing” — and admitted that Elijah had stolen bikes in the past.

“It’s been brewing for a while now,” Mr Doughty said.

Mr Doughty said his grandson had stolen his last bike, and “paid with his life”.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...t/news-story/1893e0c90d2e3f842083d48349187703

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Peter Collier looking almost as bad by refusing to condemn the comments, saying they are mates and adding a pandering comment like "Aboriginal people are beautiful people", thinking that will make him look any less of a twat.

check this s**t out.

To my knowledge no evidence has been presented that suggests that cannabis use is beneficial to a person’s health.On the contrary, there is overwhelming evidence that prolonged cannabis use can be deleterious to a person’s health, particularly to the male and female reproductive systems, the immune system, the heart and the lungs. There is also evidence that cannabis use is addictive, impairs learning and frequently leads to the use of higher-order illicit drugs. In fact, the Western Australian President of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Paul Skerritt, is quoted in The West Australian as recently as 2 March 2005 as saying - The drug is provoking manic depression, schizophrenia, depression and panic attacks among the users, some of whom had tried it for the first time, . .

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/par...3783348257006001DB2DF/$file/Inaug+Collier.pdf

Fancy spreading fake science in your inaugural speech to parliament, I thought only Pauline Hanson did that.

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
What about the journalist and editor of that story?

Everything I've read has pointed to the bike being stolen (Even if he didn't steal it, it wasn't his and it was reported as being stolen.).

So I don't think it's fair of you to call the editor racist.
Unless you are being over the top with racism apologism?

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://junkee.com/justiceforelijah-kalgoorlie-protesting-death-14-year-old-indigenous-boy/84028

Oi sis this kid had 2 motor bikes an he was riding his own , not stolen, the only thing that was stolen was a scooter the ones with no motor which the other kid who was 10 years old had not the kid on the motor bike, and the reporters don't tell the truth so really if the reports report the truth, maybe the general public would understand it was 3 kids who was involved an that the motor bike was not stolen but a stupid ass $50 or less scooter, far out the reporters need to get thing correct,

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Koshanta said Elijah was often followed by police while riding his motorbikes. Before his death, he owned three bikes, and had built another from spare parts – but over time, all were stolen."I know he had police chasing him on motorbikes, even when they were his," she said."He had his own bike one time and police thought it was stolen so they locked him up and he sat in a cell for hours."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/e...-generation-without-hope-20160902-gr7g3m.html

It was a scooter the bloke was looking for. Worth fifty dollars.

On Monday, Koshanta's boyfriend Elijah Doughty, a 14-year-old Aboriginal boy, was killed after he was allegedly run over by a 55-year-old white man because of a stolen scooter.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Bowler is a loud-mouthed campaigner, but even his stupidity can't disguise the issues we've got out here.

I've been broken into twice this year - the first time my car got stolen and was trashed. Second time I had two smashed windows. I'm comparatively lucky - there's people I know who've had to deal with 10 or more.

No-one was charged for the first one - the second one they picked up two indigenous teenagers, one of who was on his fifteenth property-related charge. He'd previously absconded from whichever responsible adult who he was bailed to, but the Magistrate decided to go for round 16 and send him off to live with an aunty in Coolgardie, who he promptly walked out on and started stealing again.

Multiply that writ large, and then add in the fact that the State Government has spent the last three years stripping a string of key positions in health, education and Aboriginal Affairs out of the region and top it off with the fact that - unlike most of WA's other regional centres - the Aboriginal population of the Goldfields is made up of groups that, by and large, detest each other (to the point that Wongutha stay in Kalgoorlie, Spinifex stay in Boulder, Martu have considerable problems dealing with Wongutha etc).

It's meant that - despite the best efforts of a core group of elders - there's often very little will to adopt in community solutions. The Drop in Centre is a fantastic idea, and the bloke who's pushing it (Elder Trevor Donaldson) is a deadset inspiration. But it's worth noting that Maku Stadium, where he hopes to set it up, was established 15 years ago for that particular purpose and has been run into the ground by a succession of failed Aboriginal corporations.

It's left police having to play social worker when, quite frankly, it's not their job. And it's left residents increasingly frustrated with the fact that a core group of young criminals seems to be able to offend with impunity. Is (allegedly) running down someone for a $100 stolen bike justifiable in any way? s**t no, but offhandedly dismissing the situation that put this bloke in that mindset is only going to see more like-minded people taking this sort of vigilante action.

I'm not one of those lock them all up-type retrogrades, but there's a tipping point where the right of people to feel safe in their own homes needs to be considered as well. Right now, Magistrates dealing with youth offenders have short-term custody, bail and basically no other sentencing options - that's something that needs to change immediately. And (again, without trying to get into Aus editorial territory) all the after school sports and kids programs in the world aren't going to do a lick of good without buy-in from the parents, which isn't really there in a lot of cases.

That's not to excuse the Council either, which is too focused on it's pet projects, and not doing tangible things which will benefit the community.

TL;DR: If your immediate response is "Oh gosh, if only those West Australians were a little bit less racist, everything would be ok" - you don't have any real understanding of the complexity of the situation.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Oi sis this kid had 2 motor bikes an he was riding his own , not stolen, the only thing that was stolen was a scooter the ones with no motor which the other kid who was 10 years old had not the kid on the motor bike, and the reporters don't tell the truth so really if the reports report the truth, maybe the general public would understand it was 3 kids who was involved an that the motor bike was not stolen but a stupid ass $50 or less scooter, far out the reporters need to get thing correct,
Sounds like a credible source.

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
Bowler is a loud-mouthed campaigner, but even his stupidity can't disguise the issues we've got out here.

I've been broken into twice this year - the first time my car got stolen and was trashed. Second time I had two smashed windows. I'm comparatively lucky - there's people I know who've had to deal with 10 or more.

No-one was charged for the first one - the second one they picked up two indigenous teenagers, one of who was on his fifteenth property-related charge. He'd previously absconded from whichever responsible adult who he was bailed to, but the Magistrate decided to go for round 16 and send him off to live with an aunty in Coolgardie, who he promptly walked out on and started stealing again.

Multiply that writ large, and then add in the fact that the State Government has spent the last three years stripping a string of key positions in health, education and Aboriginal Affairs out of the region and top it off with the fact that - unlike most of WA's other regional centres - the Aboriginal population of the Goldfields is made up of groups that, by and large, detest each other (to the point that Wongutha stay in Kalgoorlie, Spinifex stay in Boulder, Martu have considerable problems dealing with Wongutha etc).

It's meant that - despite the best efforts of a core group of elders - there's often very little will to adopt in community solutions. The Drop in Centre is a fantastic idea, and the bloke who's pushing it (Elder Trevor Donaldson) is a deadset inspiration. But it's worth noting that Maku Stadium, where he hopes to set it up, was established 15 years ago for that particular purpose and has been run into the ground by a succession of failed Aboriginal corporations.

It's left police having to play social worker when, quite frankly, it's not their job. And it's left residents increasingly frustrated with the fact that a core group of young criminals seems to be able to offend with impunity. Is (allegedly) running down someone for a $100 stolen bike justifiable in any way? s**t no, but offhandedly dismissing the situation that put this bloke in that mindset is only going to see more like-minded people taking this sort of vigilante action.

I'm not one of those lock them all up-type retrogrades, but there's a tipping point where the right of people to feel safe in their own homes needs to be considered as well. Right now, Magistrates dealing with youth offenders have short-term custody, bail and basically no other sentencing options - that's something that needs to change immediately. And (again, without trying to get into Aus editorial territory) all the after school sports and kids programs in the world aren't going to do a lick of good without buy-in from the parents, which isn't really there in a lot of cases.

That's not to excuse the Council either, which is too focused on it's pet projects, and not doing tangible things which will benefit the community.

TL;DR: If your immediate response is "Oh gosh, if only those West Australians were a little bit less racist, everything would be ok" - you don't have any real understanding of the complexity of the situation.
Similar situation in Geraldton
Some are getting sick of the revolving door on the courts and detention

Mr Gurns

Senior List
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If your response to this is "western Australia is racist" you have no grounds to get offended when anyone else makes a general statement about any group of people in the future

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Either you don't actually understand what racism is. Or you are a racist.

I can't even begin to understand what your saying about checking under foot for blacksoil, and thinking racism is below you and doesnt exist, because your above it.

Actually what do you mean with your comment?
What is racism? On BigFooty it is any criticism of Aborigines, Muslims, any race that the Left pretends to care about.
Now, in the real world we all know that most Muslims will mostly be polite but actually really despise us because they believe we are going to hell.
Aborigines aren't anywhere near as bad as Muslims. Most of them will be friendly too you. However, when it comes to a choice between their own and you, they can be as racist as a white person.
I still believe that racism in Australia is only a minor problem. The Kalgoorlie mayor is probably referring to Aborigines who look mostly white. They do, in the majority of cases, have a chip on their shoulder.

Jafa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2002
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi
Koshanta said Elijah was often followed by police while riding his motorbikes. Before his death, he owned three bikes, and had built another from spare parts – but over time, all were stolen."I know he had police chasing him on motorbikes, even when they were his," she said."He had his own bike one time and police thought it was stolen so they locked him up and he sat in a cell for hours.

Makes the young boy sound like a good little Dindunuffin. Problem is that Kalgoorlie is a city divided by a dry creek that has a lot of bushland running thru the middle of town from Boulder to Kalgoorlie. It is quite possible to traverse the town only crossing a few roads and these kids do on a regular basis. They do it illegally, often with passenger and rarely with a helmet. They don't give a crap about road traffic and cross roads at speed without looking.

It is more likely that the boy was chased "often" because he was simply riding on roads unlicensed.

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
What is racism? On BigFooty it is any criticism of Aborigines, Muslims, any race that the Left pretends to care about.
Now, in the real world we all know that most Muslims will mostly be polite but actually really despise us because they believe we are going to hell.
Aborigines aren't anywhere near as bad as Muslims. Most of them will be friendly too you. However, when it comes to a choice between their own and you, they can be as racist as a white person.
I still believe that racism in Australia is only a minor problem. The Kalgoorlie mayor is probably referring to Aborigines who look mostly white. They do, in the majority of cases, have a chip on their shoulder.
Take a good hard look at yourself.
Can't believe you could post that with a straight face.

I mean, jeezus. You know there are aboriginal muslims, right? Are they doubly evil?
What about half caste muslims?

Give yourself an uppercut.
"Aboriginies who look mostly white". You just condemned people for the color of there skin.

Back