Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
Why does it matter about the woman ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
  1. strung_out7 thought it was clever to make an allusion between a story of a car being stolen and the fact an indigenous kid was killed by a white guy who took the law into his own hands, which sparked protests over racist treatment. Freo Big Fella also made a weird comment (that suggests he spends too much time paying attention to angry people) about someone deserving to get their car stolen because they're racist.
  2. Fred asked if that comment was because there was a similar racial dynamic in this story.
  3. Oh, there is nothing in the article about race. You may have missed that due to the thread topic, the above comments, and/or your bias.
  4. strung_out7 didn't know the answer. He had just thought it was super clever to suggest that indigenous people (who have had their ancestors and culture smashed, and continue to have pockets of major issues), were hypocrites if they didn't protest everything remotely unjust.
  5. strung_out7 waits until someone else answers and then tries to claim his cleverness again.
  6. Freo Big Fella's answer is surprisingly a reveal that he was near the incident. There was no mention of that earlier. The chase was mid-afternoon, when most people are at work. Freo Big Fella refers to "the kid" without correcting, even though the car had three kids in it. Of course, that looks to me like someone who just saw a story and decided to hype it up, including odd comments and an emotionally-orientated appeal that "elderly people" and "young people" can't "feel genuinely safe". You may feel Freo Big Fella is telling the truth and took enough of an interest in the story to work out which was "the kid" who was driving, but not enough interest, to add any detail to the initial story when posting it as a short paragraph.
  7. Fred points out he was seeking information. You know, the thing you're meant to do. Because you are meant to care more about reality rather than caring about ideology and propaganda.
  8. You could've genuinely claimed that strung_out7's comment was regarding only light sentences and not the racial angle, but alas, he revealed Fred was correct in assuming it was a race-related comment when he didn't correct Fred and instead awaited a semi-confirmation that it may have been racial.
Get it, now?

Nov 6, 2002
End of the Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Get it, now?

I see no reason that the status of the Grannie is relevant. Grannies hold the community together and are suffering burnout because their complaints are not acted on because subconsciously people assume they are on the side of the perpetrator.

My solution to making things better.
1: Less rotations of Police - they only just start to understand how things work and are moved on.
2: More co ordination between agencies - most damage done to housing is not done by the occupier , so the vandals should be gone after.
3: DCP to have a night shift to deal with problems as they happen outside of businees hours.
4: Ban asking the question "Are you of Aboriginal or TSI decent" on all govt forms.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
  1. strung_out7 thought it was clever to make an allusion between a story of a car being stolen and the fact an indigenous kid was killed by a white guy who took the law into his own hands, which sparked protests over racist treatment. Freo Big Fella also made a weird comment (that suggests he spends too much time paying attention to angry people) about someone deserving to get their car stolen because they're racist.
  2. Fred asked if that comment was because there was a similar racial dynamic in this story.
  3. Oh, there is nothing in the article about race. You may have missed that due to the thread topic, the above comments, and/or your bias.
  4. strung_out7 didn't know the answer. He had just thought it was super clever to suggest that indigenous people (who have had their ancestors and culture smashed, and continue to have pockets of major issues), were hypocrites if they didn't protest everything remotely unjust.
  5. strung_out7 waits until someone else answers and then tries to claim his cleverness again.
  6. Freo Big Fella's answer is surprisingly a reveal that he was near the incident. There was no mention of that earlier. The chase was mid-afternoon, when most people are at work. Freo Big Fella refers to "the kid" without correcting, even though the car had three kids in it. Of course, that looks to me like someone who just saw a story and decided to hype it up, including odd comments and an emotionally-orientated appeal that "elderly people" and "young people" can't "feel genuinely safe". You may feel Freo Big Fella is telling the truth and took enough of an interest in the story to work out which was "the kid" who was driving, but not enough interest, to add any detail to the initial story when posting it as a short paragraph.
  7. Fred points out he was seeking information. You know, the thing you're meant to do. Because you are meant to care more about reality rather than caring about ideology and propaganda.
  8. You could've genuinely claimed that strung_out7's comment was regarding only light sentences and not the racial angle, but alas, he revealed Fred was correct in assuming it was a race-related comment when he didn't correct Fred and instead awaited a semi-confirmation that it may have been racial.
Get it, now?
FBF imo is a generally a good and balanced poster that has lived in Kalgoorlie, I don't have any reason to automatically think he is lying. Kal is not a big place with only a few main roads, 1 house I stayed in was about 200m from the shop where it was stolen. As for being off work mid afternoon that's hardly anything odd as a lot of people work either in shifts or start very early so get back early. As for genuine fear for safety being hyperbole, I'm not sure if you have been to Kalgoorlie but this is spot on, as I said earlier in many ways I like the place but it is genuinely dangerous especially after sun down.

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
I have been to Kalgoorlie. As with most place that are called 'dangerous', the actual chances of running into something dangerous remain very low. There are exceptions to that rule, but Kalgoorlie isn't one of them. The comment on hyperbole was because a story about a woman having her purse and car stolen was caused by kids. FBF mentioned "young people" not feeling safe. That's a very wide term and not reflected in that story, hence why I thought it was an emotionally-orientated appeal. A different way of saying "won't somebody think of the children!!!".
Grannies hold the community together and are suffering burnout because their complaints are not acted on because subconsciously people assume they are on the side of the perpetrator.
Utterly baffling.

As is your 'point 4'. You think crime is caused by a question on a govt form that 13 y.o. kids wouldn't have even seen? Can you get your compadres in the 'safe space' to reveal your philosophies on life - how you see the world? The prism through which you interact with the world is opaque and often perplexing.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
FBF mentioned "young people" not feeling safe. That's a very wide term and not reflected in that story, hence why I thought it was an emotionally-orientated appeal.

I actually mentioned parents with young kids not feeling safe. Not to distract you from your high horse or anything though.

This is one story, but there is an issue with crime out here that is, by and large, caused by young, Aboriginal offenders. That's backed up by statistics, the number of Aboriginal faces you see coming through Children's Court in particular - and also the product of massive issues, intergenerational problems that both the State Government and local Aboriginal Leaders are duty-bound to resolve.

Putting all that aside; coverage of this town in the national media has deliberately obscured or avoided talking to victims of crime (both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal). They also feel like they've been ignored by the people tasked with effectively repairing the divisions in the community.

Until they're included in the discussion, efforts to pursue justice reinvestment programs and other initiatives are going to hit a brick wall.

The chase was mid-afternoon, when most people are at work.

I'm lucky enough to have a job that lets me split time between the office and being out and about in the community.

Nov 6, 2002
End of the Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Utterly baffling.

As is your 'point 4'. You think crime is caused by a question on a govt form that 13 y.o. kids wouldn't have even seen? Can you get your compadres in the 'safe space' to reveal your philosophies on life - how you see the world? The prism through which you interact with the world is opaque and often perplexing.

It's been my long experience that balackfella's are bigger victims of crime than anybody else. Most goes unreported.
Of course they would have seen it. Health Dept , Ed Department , even going to the remote dentist.
They grow up with it being constantly reinforced that they are "different"

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Get it, now?
Or strung out didn't bother replying as it was a certainty the perpetrator was from that background, especially being in rural WA. While at the same time Fred wanted to play the race card, as the article didn't stipulate the culprit, as is the case in underage criminality, which has now back fired?

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
You could've genuinely claimed that strung_out7's comment was regarding only light sentences and not the racial angle, but alas, he revealed Fred was correct in assuming it was a race-related comment when he didn't correct Fred and instead awaited a semi-confirmation that it may have been racial.
I point he has now confirmed by claiming "Or strung out didn't bother replying as it was a certainty the perpetrator was from that background, especially being in rural WA". Obviously he both doesn't understand what a "certainty" is and doesn't get out much from "perth", which is his alleged location.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I point he has now confirmed by claiming "Or strung out didn't bother replying as it was a certainty the perpetrator was from that background, especially being in rural WA". Obviously he both doesn't understand what a "certainty" is and doesn't get out much from "perth", which is his alleged location.
So you are from Northern Africa then yeah? Is this how it works?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I have been to Kalgoorlie. As with most place that are called 'dangerous', the actual chances of running into something dangerous remain very low. There are exceptions to that rule, but Kalgoorlie isn't one of them. The comment on hyperbole was because a story about a woman having her purse and car stolen was caused by kids. FBF mentioned "young people" not feeling safe. That's a very wide term and not reflected in that story, hence why I thought it was an emotionally-orientated appeal. A different way of saying "won't somebody think of the children!!!"

You've been there? A lot of people have been there. I've been to lots of places all over this country and wouldn't know the first thing about most of them unless I have a reason to or I am genuinely interested. Give us some context.

Did you live there? If so, which part did you live in?
Were you just visiting? Visiting friends or for work purposes?
Did you fly in or drive in?
Did you stay in a private residence or a hotel? What part of Kal was the private residence in? Which hotel if it was a hotel?
How long were you there for?
What part/s did you live stay in?.
What did you do while you were there if just visiting?
If you were there for work purposes, did you do anything in your downtime?
How long in total do you think you've spent in Kal? What was the longest you've spent there in any one stint?

Context is everything instead of just saying, "I have been to Kalgoorlie." That doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
FYI - I don't actually consider the town dangerous; I love living here.

But I also understand why people are increasingly nervous - I can shrug off being harassed/abused for money outside Woolworths, it's a more challenging prospect for a mum with the kids in tow.

See it at Woollies everytime I'm down doing some shopping but I reckon the worst I've seen is out the front of the Wizard Chemist on Hannan St. If I'm going to Coles / K-Mart, I never park underneath, always straight up to the roof.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been to Kal probably half a dozen or more times. Have never lived there but you get a different perspective even just seeing the place more than once.

Have spent time in the Pilbara and Kimberley also. You could spend a week in Broome doing the tourist thing and barely come across an Aboriginal person. You could spend a week there and get to know some of the Aboriginal people that live and work in the town and learn about the culture and history of the region etc. You could spent a week there and have your kids frightened by drunken Aboriginal people brawling in the main street in the middle of the day. Perspective is huge.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Good to know facts don't matter when you're protesting.

61a0722ba986b776ecdaaf791356588e

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Not particularly, but I see Parliamemt House as pretty fair game in terms of protest. And as I say, it didn't destroy anything, the windows can be cleaned.
What if I saw your house as fair game?

It wouldn't destroy anything and the windows can be cleaned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back