Club History Kane Cornes picks his best 10 Port Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kornes value to the team was much higher than Francous.

Was a season ticket holder from 1997 through until leaving Adelaide in 2007 - I saw enough to know - as did the coaches that vote for BnF ;)
Be interesting to see what others think.

But in my opinion francou was miles ahead of Cornes.

I’m not sure I’d have Cornes in our best afl 22. Maybe on the bench.

Of course Kane didn't wIn a best and fairest in francou's time and won the majority of them in years where we were a gigantic shower if sh1t. Josh was up against a lot of very good players for b&f honours and managed to poll pretty well in the brownlow in those 2 peak years. Would take peak francou over chip scab kornes all day every day.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Is Josh Francou left out of these lists mainly because of his well-known disdain for the One Club philosophy?

We haven't really had a pure midfielder of his calibre since he retired and no one has done as well in the Brownlow as him.
Robbie Gray in the years after his knee injury was as the best years of footy played by a port adelaide player in our AFL journey. In the midfield he was totally dominant, he won the coaches association medal which in reality has far greater significance than the Brownlow. He actually had a crazy percentage of games where he polled coaches votes over a few years there.

Francou was cut short with his injuries which cost him the prime of his career..
With his anti port adelaide stance and lack of respect for the real legends of the club that got us and him where we are now, im very happy that he missed out on a flag for us.. Disrespectful fkwit.

Of course Kane didn't wIn a best and fairest in francou's time and won the majority of them in years where we were a gigantic shower if sh1t. Josh was up against a lot of very good players for b&f honours and managed to poll pretty well in the brownlow in those 2 peak years. Would take peak francou over chip scab kornes all day every day.

You have not yet addressed the biggest indicator of a players worth - BnF voting by coaches. Francou did not finish in the top 5. This cannot be brushed over. It automatically puts him at the very most as the 6th best of all time in that era, but then you have the likes of Boak and Gray that are superior footballers too.

List based purely on service, impact,
exploits, longevity at Port interspersed with my ethereal biases and whimsy at the time - such as putting extra weight on things done when the club was at the pointy end, or certain individuals who at their peak were well in the discussion for best player in the league (so yes Chad/notsomuch Kane).

As a result my 4-10 shuffles a bit when this sort of thing comes up despite not a lot of new evidence:

01. Tredrea - (4 x AA, 4 x BF, 1 x MVP, 1 x SM) 🏆
02. Gray - (4 x AA, 3 x BF, 1 x MVP, 5 x SM)
03. Wanganeen - (2 x AA, 1 x BF) 🏆
04. Boak - (2 x AA, 1 x BF, 1 x SM)
05. C. Cornes - (2 x AA, 1 x SM) 🏆
06. Lade - (2 x AA, 1 x BF) 🏆
07. K. Cornes - (2 x AA, 4 x BF) 🏆
08. Wingard - (2 x AA, 1 x BF, 1 x SM)
09. Francou - (1 x AA, 3 x SM)
10. Primus - (2 x AA, 1 x BF)

Can I just say, the simultaneous overrating of Silk™ and underrating of his older brother from a portion of our mainstream on social really emphasises just how important playing on the eastern seaboard is for an individual’s reputation and legacy.

If Shaun Burgoyne is counted as something of a great of the game now, then Tredders and Roberto would have suburbs named after them by 2050.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this is a good indication of just how little the melbourne market saw of tredders or appreciate just how good he was. Gavin was a pretty to watch footballer but tredrea was a dominant chf in a time where he was getting pretty much mugged every week by defenders.
Wanganeen a pretty to watch footballer? What does that even mean?

The guy did literally everything you could ask of a football player to an elite level.

I understand rating Tredrea on the same level, but Wanganeen was as good a player as you could see without having the ridiculous physique some players have.

Dangerfield is the perfect example of how far being physically suited to footy can get you. His pace and strength are second to none, but you cannot say he has the skill, smarts and vision that guys like Ablett, Wanganeen, Tredrea, Hird, or even Robbie Gray have/had to play the game. His complete lack of a defensive side rules him out for me as well.

As a side note the way Tredrea and Wanganeen were both cruelled by injury often goes unmentioned. Tredrea in particular could have been considered the GOAT even outside of Ports had his body held up better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I assume Kornes has left Primus off his list based on their falling out after Primus dropped Kornes while coaching.
There's probably a bit, but its also just 10 players. Not being listed doesn't mean that they're not rated as a player.

Primus probaly also suffers from the fact that he got injured and we went and won a flag without him. I mean sure, we replaced him with another player that is also stiff to miss out on the list.

Probably also a bit of underrating the importance of a ruckman.

James was a fantastic player and one of the most criminally underrated players in the AFL of all time.. far more integral to us winning a flag than old skin-out when it's tough Junior Burger.

Even being super generous:

2001-2009

1. Tredrea
2. Wanganeen
3. Lade
4. Cornes
5. Kornes
6. Francou
7. Primus
8. Shaun (maybe)

2010-2019

1. S. Mitchell
2. Hodge
3. Roughead
4. Franklin
5. Gibson
6. Lewis
7. Rioli
8. T. Mitchell
9. Shaun (maybe)

= 2001-2019

1. Shaun

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shaun Burgoyne is nudging fellow Hawthorn longevity master Michael Tuck as one of the most over rated players of all time.
He's got the Eddie Betts syndrome, you won't see him for a quarter and he'll pop up for a handball receive to cue Bruce *oooHHHHHHH SILKKKKKKKKKK*

*unpopular opinion* Jarman Impey will be a better and more influential player for Hawthorn.

It's funny in the AAMI ad they think it's necessary to tell us who Shaun Burgoyne is, but not Brian Taylor.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What do ya think of Kane's top 10 Stewy.

mnbgf.jpeg

**** Kane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back