Opinion Kane Cornes media career thread

Still a club champion? Or journalist s**t stain?

• I still think he's alright

Votes: 54 28.7%
  • Total s**t Stain

Votes: 96 51.1%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 20.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How about comparing Simpkin's 2021 to the guy who won Melbourne's? Its not that different. The only big standout is the difference in contested possessions. And I mean, he's 11kgs lighter than Oliver so its a bit harsh to expect him to be as much of a contested bull.

I mean outside of that contested possessions, there's not much of a gap that you might expect to be covered by shifting Simpkin into a team with significantly better quality around him.
Interesting perspective but I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Oliver's possessions are way more damaging and his game impact is way higher I think.

No kid or adult ever went to port games to watch kane cornes play footy.

Soild footballer and great endurance athlete but the fact he was top 20 in our clubs history based on the 150 yr list that the advertiser made was a disgrace

Troy Chaplin was our second highest vote poller from 2007-2012 when Kane won his 4 BnFs.

“I’m not just sceptical of the way Port Adelaide use it, (but) it’s the third time they’ve used it in a way that I think could be questioned,” Cornes told SEN SA Breakfast.

“Last week (Robbie) Gray was subbed out but played again this week, and now (Mitch) Georgiades is saying (he had) a tight calf - there’s no way to fact check that. It is coincidental that he (Georgiades) was subbed out and (Port Adelaide) got fresh legs at three quarter time.”

Cornes proposed a mandatory one-week rest if a player is subbed off, as this would be a minimum recovery period for genuine injuries.

“That would stop coaches using it … to gain an advantage late in games,” Cornes said

Yeah, it's been obvious for some time now that we are a club that is happy to exploit the rule for whatever advantage we can get out of it. I'm glad we're not one of those clubs who sits the sub out all day because they don't want to exaggerate an injury. If the AFL introduce a stupid rule then there's nothing wrong with clubs exploiting it.

Yeah, it's been obvious for some time now that we are a club that is happy to exploit the rule for whatever advantage we can get out of it. I'm glad we're not one of those clubs who sits the sub out all day because they don't want to exaggerate an injury. If the AFL introduce a stupid rule then there's nothing wrong with clubs exploiting it.

In high performance environments, EVERY rule is exploited for advantage, not just bad ones.

We've got some yokels running our game that make rules on top of rules to fix circumstances that were only created because of a rule change several iterations ago. It's ruining the game as a spectacle and it's making the game ridiculously hard to officiate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I’m not just sceptical of the way Port Adelaide use it, (but) it’s the third time they’ve used it in a way that I think could be questioned,” Cornes told SEN SA Breakfast.

“Last week (Robbie) Gray was subbed out but played again this week, and now (Mitch) Georgiades is saying (he had) a tight calf - there’s no way to fact check that. It is coincidental that he (Georgiades) was subbed out and (Port Adelaide) got fresh legs at three quarter time.”

Cornes proposed a mandatory one-week rest if a player is subbed off, as this would be a minimum recovery period for genuine injuries.

“That would stop coaches using it … to gain an advantage late in games,” Cornes said
I wouldn't mind the change of a player subbed out has to sit out the next game. We've used it for minor niggles, but there's been clubs that blatantly have used it for obvious non-injuries. The downside of the week off is Ken would probably have kept MG out there until his leg fell off, as player welfare is so far down the list compared to saving his paycheck, that you could read War and Peace in the time moving between the two.

Just extend the bench to 5.

And what was the benefit of interchange caps again? Something about tired players meaning the spectacle would improve because reasons?

As a raw product, footy has devolved into absolute garbage.

No it ******* wouldnt. You would just use it on the guy that is getting rotated out the next week.

In high performance environments, EVERY rule is exploited for advantage, not just bad ones.

We've got some yokels running our game that make rules on top of rules to fix circumstances that were only created because of a rule change several iterations ago. It's ruining the game as a spectacle and it's making the game ridiculously hard to officiate.
Bingo.

Bill Belichick has been doing this since he was a teenager, started off helping his old man who was the assistant coach of United States Naval Academy football team at Annapolis. Bill was the video assistant and learnt from guys who actually had fought in wars and had to do some tough things to survive. Some of the dodgy rule breaking he has done the last 40 years in the NFL has pissed off a lot of people in the NFL industry, and the NFL almost seems too scared to stop him.

Classic do anything you can to win attitude and why as NFL head coach + as NFL assistant coach, he's won more championships than anyone else. 6+2.

Just extend the bench to 5.

And what was the benefit of interchange caps again? Something about tired players meaning the spectacle would improve because reasons?

As a raw product, footy has devolved into absolute garbage.

If the bench in extended to 5 and a team loses a player to injury then they'll whinge that they only have 4 to the opposition's 5.

If the AFL rules committee turned on the heater at their latest meeting and then the room got too hot, they wouldn't turn off the heater, they'd turn on a fan.

If the AFL rules committee turned on the heater at their latest meeting and then the room got too hot, they wouldn't turn off the heater, they'd turn on a fan.

Brilliant analogy.

Back