News Kane Lambert, Jason Castagna, Jayden Short and Nathan Broad train their way across Europe

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Kane Lambert, Jason Castagna, Jayden Short and Nathan Broad train their way across Europe
DECEMBER 20, 2018
When tourists typically hit Europe, it’s all hop-on hop-off buses and queues at the landmarks. Not for a swag of Richmond players, who took in some of the world’s best sights as part of their off-season training regime.

Midfielder Kane Lambert — who has re-signed with the club until the end of 2022 — joined four of his teammates on the three-week off-season jaunt that he admitted left fellow premiership Tiger Nathan Broad wondering what he had signed up for.

SUPERCOACH: 9 RISKY PICKS FOR 2019

BIG WIN: BLUES SECURE TOP YOUNG GUN

“Broady was complaining that Burgey, our head of fitness (Peter Burge), had sent him on a trip away with us because he felt like it was a training camp,” Lambert laughed.

“We spent a lot of time training. But we had some fun.”

9ed6b2ef4c7261a5d3699626e8bfb484

Richmond players Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert, Jayden Short and Nathan Broad pictured in Amsterdam. Picture: Instagram
The trip took Lambert, Broad, Jason Castagna, Dan Butler and Jayden Short from the crystal clear waters of the Adriatic Sea to the motherland of England — where he says it was “two degrees” — with the hard work not letting up along the way.

“We obviously had our program that we had to follow, and we had to modify with only certain surfaces to run on,” Lambert said.

“But we were running in Dubrovnik along the beach which was beautiful scenery and up mountains.

“Then in London, we were running with beanies and gloves on, so we had a real array of different scenes and weather. But it was all character-building, I suppose.

“It was a good way to see the cities and the towns, rather than walking for three hours.”

2da82c3b1d14ead748dcbf152a38abf5

Richmond players Jason Castagna, Jayden Short, Nathan Broad, Dan Butler and Kane Lambert at a Tottenham game.
The 27-year-old and youngsters Ryan Garthwaite and Callum Coleman-Jones have all signed on for four, two and three years respectively.

Lambert, who finished runner-up in Richmond’s best and fairest this year and kicked 15 goals, said the ankle that forced him into surgery late in the season has not given him any trouble since.

And he said he wants to continue to repay the faith the Tigers showed him after he was overlooked in six drafts.

“For five or six years, no other club showed any interest in me, so Richmond were the one that believed in me. This is a place where I feel valued and that I belong.

“I’m trying to do them proud and repay their faith in me in giving me an opportunity.

“I’m rapt to be here for another four years.”

List boss Blair Hartley said Lambert’s value extended beyond the field.

“We’re always so impressed by Kane, whether it’s his commitment and determination as a player, or his impressive character as a person,” he said.

“He gives us everything each day — we’ve loved watching him develop, continue to take his football to another level, and make others around him better.”

Full Story: https://outline.com/VYNMLy

Love the commitment these guys show, training over in Europe. I guess there is no hiding when they return back to the club but I love the fact that they are still having fun seeing the world but maintaining their fitness at the same time. Bring Broady along and keeping him honest, will only help him out in 2019. Another great example of the exceptional culture we have at Richmond now

Great to see the commitment from the boys with taking their training to another level during the off season , Sign of professionalism required to be the elite in the comp.
Short & Broad would have gained so much from this trip with Lambert who is an amazing character and person coming through to the AFL system the way he has and getting to become a runner up in the JD medal in a year that could have been perfect apart from 1 quarter in the prelim.

These boys show the younger group what its going to take to make it to this level,Im loving the amount of leaders and leadership in the group and this pretty much holds the club in good stead for many many years with great culture and professionalism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back