Kangaroos Football Staff are all Idiots & Big Footy Posters know better

Remove this Banner Ad

kymhodgemansmo

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2000
Unbelievable.......

Why is it that people constantly question the ability of individuals that have led the club to two premierships and its most successful era.

All this crap about LIndsay Smith .... God a few grabs in the odd Murray Roos game does not make a player.

We got pick 62, will have five picks in the top 62 in apparently the strongest draft ever, have imporved our position on all but one pick (the 4th), have picked up a player in Porter to shoulder the ruck burden, and have taken a chance on a 194cm defender that has underachieved and played like he lacked confidence for the last three years.

Let us not forget the fact that he was identified as a potential gun of the competition in his debut season (read Rocca & McCartney) and he carved us on Anzac Day at the G.

Now this is not to say that he will necessarily make it - but do you people really believe that Pagan & Co make decisions to deliberately detriment the side.

We have all discussed our deficiencies in defence, and we have a 25 year old with 80 plus games experience who has been in the past identified as a potentially good player, particularly in defence.

With three early picks and some other players idenitified as potential key defenders (Watt, Petrie to a degree), what is the issue with trying a player of his ilk to fulfil a role in the interim.

We have had success in the past with the likes of McCartney, Burton, Rocca - all filled roles where iat appeared we may have had problems - this may work.

Sure there are failures, but drafting isn't always the solution.

We have had more duds through the draft than we've had through trading, and it is the nature of the game.

For every success there is another failure, but it is no different to drafting, remember players the ilk of Woodley, Lasscock, McMahon, Hay, the Kingsleys - none of them have gone on elsewhere - so where is the issue.

Let them do the job - they have led us to some level of success.

And have an opinion - but stooping to childish name calling is typical of the sort of rubbish that goes on at this place, and is that far from a reasoned response it is not funny.

And also note that I do NOT rate David Bourke, but am happy to see where this road takes him.

You make some good points kymhodgemansmo, I'm not that unhappy with our trades.
Once the dust settles, I'll look forward to seeing how Bourke and Porter perform.
I think getting Porter (plus improving our draft picks) was quite shrewd. As for Bourke, well let's just wait and see.

Yes Lindsay was unproven, however , at 21 he had some good natural talent. Doesn't everyone say that tall players generally take longer to develop ? Carlton obviously thought he was worth getting , in my opinion I would have kept him.

I don't for a second pretend that I know as much as Denis or any of the other professionals involved in the club. :)
However, what's the fun of posting at all, if one cannot state their own thoughts without the "you're not the coach" line of rebuttal ? :eek: :)

Speaking of the "you're not the coach" and "how many games have you played?" rebuttals which negative posts usually attract, why is it those comments are never aired when you give a player a rap?

Never gonna happen is it... only raises its head when someone bags a player, never when it's praise. When giving praise, football knowledge is rarely questioned.

With the amount of players that get drafted and DON'T make it, surely there must be some admission that the people who are supposed to know best, don't always.

Porter - Very good trade. Happy with him.(and not just because I get to wave McKernan goodbye.):)
Lindsay who ?? :confused:
Bourke - Surely this is a joke. I'm with Darky on this one.:mad:

Apart from having 3 early picks in the National Draft, one of our most important moves could be having #4 pick in the pre-season draft. With salary cap issues, delistings, etc. still to occur, this could be a very useful pick.

I am always amused that the Roos like to take on a player "who did well against us". Earlier post highlighted Bourke's good game against us this year. Used the same theory to draft Bradley Plain a few years ago. OK OK ... same theory also netted Jason McCartney after some good contests with the Duck.

Originally posted by Daphne

Well I was happy to wave you goodbye a few months back, what a disappointment to see you back here.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Daphne,
Its because of me that he has got you & me on ignore now.

Say what you like about him, he can't hear!
hehe!
;)

Yes I was well aware of that when i wrote it 35eye. I havent cared what he has said for a long long time now as he just repeats himself over and over again. But every now and then something jumps out at me and instead of saying it to myself I have to reply. Of course as you get older you do tend to repeat yourself, others just think that because they have been around a little longer than others that they know what they are talking about.

KHM you are a whanker.

What a crazy world we would live in if we could not question authority. Go back to your fantasy world and say hi to the disciples of Hitler, Hussain & bin Laden. They never questioned their leader.

BTW your fave players don't have to be the best players. :mad:

As much as I hate the thought of Corey in another jumper other than Royal Blue and White, I'm reasonably happy with the trade for Porter. Along with our defensive limitations, our biggest weakness was the lack of a mobile ruckmen, and we appeared to have picked a very well regarded one.

As for Bourke, well Denis obviously has a few ideas about where he can use him otherwise he wouldn't have traded such a low draft pick for him. I'll reserve my judgement on Bourke until after the first trial game.

Denis has had success with McCartney, Rocca, Pike (sort of), Bell (probably too successful), Burton and Grant, so hopefully he can do the same with Porter and Bourke.

"And have an opinion - but stooping to childish name calling is typical of the sort of rubbish that goes on at this place, and is that far from a reasoned response it is not funny."

BSOAT, I don't think that you read KHM's post correctly.

I agree with the above and a similar comment on the See Ya thread. Have an opinion, but no need to get personal. After all, we're NOT Richmond.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um you ask why do we question the powers that be?

If you pay for a high-grade membership, go out of your way to support the club and players financially then do you not have a right to be concerned with performance?

On a tangent, I am always gutted when I read about us submitting paperwork late or the like and copping a $5000 fine. How many f**king memberships did it take to get that money in the first place! But should I not question that stuff because I'm not a CEO myself??

But back on your point, yes we had a successful era and 2 flags. How long would you like to dine out on that for?

We've won 6 games against top-4 teams in the last 2 years. 2 of those were against Geelong.. The margins for the other 4 wins were 1pt, 4pts, 10pts, 22pts... hardly convincing. Our only win against a top-4 side in the last 2 years was the 1pt win against Melbourne.

So after all the excuses, we are not amongst the top-sides anymore.

Therefore i think supporters have a right to question recruiting etc when the club's list (youngsters aside) appears to have weakened (or just kept level) over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Originally posted by King Corey

If you pay for a high-grade membership, go out of your way to support the club and players financially then do you not have a right to be concerned with performance?

On a tangent, I am always gutted when I read about us submitting paperwork late or the like and copping a $5000 fine. How many f**king memberships did it take to get that money in the first place! But should I not question that stuff because I'm not a CEO myself??

But back on your point, yes we had a successful era and 2 flags. How long would you like to dine out on that for?

We've won 6 games against top-4 teams in the last 2 years. 2 of those were against Geelong.. The margins for the other 4 wins were 1pt, 4pts, 10pts, 22pts... hardly convincing. Our only win against a top-4 side in the last 2 years was the 1pt win against Melbourne.

Therefore i think supporters have a right to question recruiting etc when the club's list (youngsters aside) appears to have weakened (or just kept level) over the last 2 or 3 seasons.
I'm with ya.

Darky - I entertained rising like a phoenix as TAFKAK (The artist formerly known as King-Corey) but opted to hitch my carriage to the next big thing our list..

Did try to change the pick but I got nervous editing at work and couldn't meet the stringent pixel guidelines.

BSOAT - thanks mate - btw it should read "6 wins against TOP 8 sides in the last 2 years" - otherwise it contradicts itself.

The fact that it is top 8 sides and not top 4 is also more depressing....

King Corey...

You know what pisses me off??? people who support a club and always complain that the club never looks to the future... never picks kids in the draft... never plays them... and than Bango 2001 arrive and we play kids and we get beat and badly sometimes... and what do these same fools want us to do... trade for name players...

If they can't come up with a better idea they should really just STFU... anyone can be a critic... only true visionaries deliver the cup...

Christ... Pick a directions and head that way... it may hurt for a while but have some faith that those that delivered twice can do it again and again and again...

Darky - I entertained rising like a phoenix as TAFKAK (The artist formerly known as King-Corey) but opted to hitch my carriage to the next big thing our list..

Did try to change the pick but I got nervous editing at work and couldn't meet the stringent pixel guidelines.

BSOAT - thanks mate - btw it should read "6 wins against TOP 8 sides in the last 2 years" - otherwise it contradicts itself.

The fact that it is top 8 sides and not top 4 is also more depressing....
Yes I did realise that but I didn't want to say anything which may have weakened your argument. ;)

RB96 I actually agree with you - don't misunderstand me.

If we're going with kids, great - in fact I think of the Murray prelim final or the Ansett Cup losing final against Port as great games, despite being losses because there were youngsters involved.

But we do generally favour older players over younger players - even ask impartial outside supporters. 2001 Ansett Cup was meant to be a big youth side - yet I saw Carey, Martyn and the usual suspects playing. The only changes was when seniors got injured or were not ready.

Fine - we've picked a rebuilding direction. Let's stick with it. So how did offloading Smith and gaining Bourke fit into that plan again?? How did chasing Barnaby French and Paul Dimmatinna fit into this new direction? What about acquiring Rick Olarenshaw - who he himself said was ready to retire at the end of 2000 -?

I don't have the experience or probably the ability to be a senior AFL coach. But sheesh if something looks wrong, should I just STFU?

I'm generally of the belief we should pursue a mixture of youth and experience - basically focus on securing the best youngsters via good draft picks, but IF an experienced player becomes available, that can immediately fit into our side and do a job, then get him.

No objection to getting a 25 year old, 80-90 game player, even if he is from Richmond. My objection is specifically that we have recruited one of the worst three regular senior players in the competition.

Olarenshaw was a gamble, but he COULD play to AFL standard, same as Sav, and you could even throw Calthorpe into that group. :eek: Concerns with them were mainly general fitness and inury history. Strictly speaking, I don't reckon they are shocking players. Bourke's skills are disgraceful, and I swear I'd rather have Calthorpe back, stretched jumper, fat ankles, grease stained fingers and all.

Fine - we've picked a rebuilding direction. Let's stick with it. So how did offloading Smith and gaining Bourke fit into that plan again?? How did chasing Barnaby French and Paul Dimmatinna fit into this new direction? What about acquiring Rick Olarenshaw - who he himself said was ready to retire at the end of 2000 -?

I don't have the experience or probably the ability to be a senior AFL coach. But sheesh if something looks wrong, should I just STFU?

No... you shouldn't just STFU if you think something is wrong... but I don't see any major problems with the decisions made...

Ricky O... worth a gamble and under AFL rules we had to take a plaayer from Collingwood as part of the Bell Deal...

Calthorpe... the same as Ricky but sadly this man didn't know when his time was up... he should have done the world a favour and retired last year...

Smith and Bourke are seperate cases... it wasn't a trade... Smith for Bourke...

Smith had run his race at North... He wasn't going to make it... he was originally pick up with a 60 odd draft pickand we got one back for him...

Bourke??? you may be right with this but I will wait and see...

French Dimma and Moorcroft... they never happaned so why get stressed... you newver know one may still happen with the pre-season draft...

All I am saying is we have to take a step back after 7/8 years at or near the top... it may take a couple of years... so let's not lose our heads and do anything stupid...

I understand that we have to take a step backwards to go forward again. I agree that we need the blend of both youth and experience. However I get extremely frustrated when a couple of the young guys get picked, and you look forward to see them play - and they spend 3/4s of the game sitting on the bench.

Originally posted by Darky

With the amount of players that get drafted and DON'T make it, surely there must be some admission that the people who are supposed to know best, don't always. [/B]

There are only 22 positions on a football field Darky, and not everyone can make it can they?????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back