Prediction Kangatech

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a lot more professional than I thought it would. I guess Saunders wouldn't associate himself with anything amateur. What's the target market? NFL and NBA teams?
College programs initially I'd say. So much frikken money in that arena.

Sell it on an annual retainer basis? $1m pa? Reckon the big football colleges in the SEC would be all over it if it actually works.
Reckon the idea would be that they pay a flat fee for the product with further payments for upgraded tech and analytical capability. It probably wouldn't be very expensive initially but that would be dependent on the number of measurement units sold. The larger the program the more measurement units.

Anyone know the business model? Completely Saunders designed and funded with the club just lending it's name to the support etc? Club funded to help Saunders but receives % profit? Other?

Anyone know the business model? Completely Saunders designed and funded with the club just lending it's name to the support etc? Club funded to help Saunders but receives % profit? Other?
External developer joined with Saunders' design and format, NMFC branding, proof of concept and $$.

I guess....

The KangaTech package includes a portable stainless steel frame, detachable dynamometers to measure the force, consistency and control so athletes are able to apply pressure against the frame in different positions, and unlimited user subscription to cloud based software and anonymous athlete data.
Saunders and NMFC teamed up with a technology company called Biarri to create something that they felt didn’t yet exist.

From an article on the website.

Gotta say it's awkward browsing on a mobile.
Maybe, but I doubt the intended audience are likely to be browsing mobile.

The embarassing thing I found was an article they use to promote it is paywalled and inaccessible by the Herald Sun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club funded. Discussions underway with a small number of teams from the major US codes and some Australian ( non AFL) teams.

Club funded. Discussions underway with a small number of teams from the major US codes and some Australian ( non AFL) teams.
That's very positive.

External developer joined with Saunders' design and format, NMFC branding, proof of concept and $$.

I guess....

Proof of concept and funding was a combination of club and external.

Latest "News and Media" post:

North Melbourne has found the fountain of youth after 6-0 start to the season
Herald Sun, May 7 2016

I'm surprised the site is still up.
The article is posted somewhere in the commentary thread.

North Melbourne has found the fountain of youth after 6-0 start to the season
16 minutes ago
GLENN McFARLANEHerald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/4d549a82160182b94e2aadf3dbd18049

origin:video_integrator.9vYWxhMzE6ws5fw8iPRyCYliZ_c1xub2

HE’S been called the football equivalent of a horse whisperer. One former colleague swears he has ‘Zen Master’ qualities; another insists that if the human body was an engine, he would be the mechanic fine-tuning it.

His name is Steve Saunders, and if you haven’t heard of him, don’t feel left out.

Few footy fans know who Saunders is, other than hard-core North Melbourne supporters contentedly watching their team streak to a 6-0 start to the 2016 season off the back of a healthy playing list, the best injury-prevention program in the AFL and a core of veterans playing some of the best football of their careers.

But the AFL industry — indeed the sports industry as a whole — knows a lot about Saunders.

For more than two decades, he was one of the leading go-to men for groin injuries — he was once dubbed ‘the groin guru’ — and he is now into his sixth season as North Melbourne’s high-performance coach and managing director of sports science and training services.

That relative anonymity might change if the Kangaroos can turn their exceptional start this season into the club’s fifth premiership.

story-fni0cx12-4d549a82160182b94e2aadf3dbd18049

There is still a long way to go for that to happen, but what is certain is that AFL rivals are watching on enviously at the healthy state of the North Melbourne list.

In Saunders’ time at the club, over the past five seasons, the Kangaroos have had — by far — the fewest soft-tissue injuries in the AFL — 47 per cent lower than second-ranked Adelaide, and 50 per cent lower than the league average.

940050-left.gif
I played with ‘Waitey’ and he always had a few issues. Now he knows he has got his body right. His body is like an engine and Steve’s the mechanic tuning it up.

- Brendan Fevola

940141-right.gif

North Melbourne was at pains to point out this week that the welfare of its players was a collaborative effort from a wide-range of staff members, not solely because of its highly-rated, high performance coach.

In many ways, this state of the Kangaroos’ list has been something that has been meticulously mapped out by Brad Scott even before he agreed to become senior coach in late 2009.

Scott has long held an interest in sports sciences.

941a7a176907d51f980824ed4bc2ff7c

Brent Harvey turns 38 next week. Picture: Michael Klein
He and Saunders, as well as strength and conditioning coach Dan Meehan, and nutrition and conditioning coach Jona Segal, have been instrumental in setting up the program that has had many of the club’s older bracket flourish.

“North are absolutely humming at the moment,” former AFL star Brendan Fevola, an advocate of Saunders’ healing powers, said this week.

“Just take a look at what they have been able to get out of their older guys.”

“I played with ‘Waitey’ (Jarrad Waite) and he always had a few issues. Now he knows he has got his body right. His body is like an engine and Steve’s the mechanic tuning it up.

“’Boomer’ (Brent Harvey) and Drew Petrie are flying, and we know Daniel Wells is a superstar when he is fit and firing. North have just got all those guys humming along at the moment and that’s a huge bonus.”

Fevola went to see Saunders at his private clinic in Adelaide, along with Lions teammate Jonathan Brown, when the two suffered adductor injuries during the 2010 season. It was several months before Saunders accepted a lucrative offer to join the Kangaroos.

He said Saunders worked miracles: “He just knew exactly what was wrong with me as soon as he saw me ... he’s a guru and he’s showing that now at North Melbourne.”

Six Kangaroos who will take the field against St Kilda today are 30 and older, including Brent Harvey who turns 38 this month, and 33-year-old Drew Petrie, who will represent the club for a 300th time.

88ec4d1d07d973b83654d071dd1587b8

Shaun Higgins with physio Steve Saunders. Picture: Hamish Blair
Two others, Scott Thompson and Sam Gibson, will be join the Kangaroos’ 30-Something club before the end of this month.

And the average age of the Kangaroos’ team last week, which beat the young, impressive Western Bulldogs, was a ripe 27 years and 330 days.

No team older than that has ever won a flag, but there is a growing feeling that this North Melbourne side is perfectly poised challenge for this year’s premiership, after back-to-back preliminary finals.

Petrie laughed this week when asked about the perceived “fountain of youth” at Arden Street: “I can tell you there is much more to it than just a couple of glasses of special water we drink.”

“The credit must go to the people who implement and plan what our preseason looks like, and what our weekly program is from a training point of view.”

Much of it revolves around strengthening the core muscles, working hard on massage and manipulation, on pilates and on what the club calls “injury prevention”.

Ask anyone at Arden St to speak about exactly what takes place, and they are reluctant to talk specifics, not because it is anything underhanded or out of the ordinary, but because they want to retain the competitive edge they believe they hold.

c650b18f2561f584eb00be45cd1cd63d

Jarrad Waite hasn’t been plagued by injury at North Melbourne. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Former Kangaroos chief executive Eugene Arocca said Brad Scott’s mindset was always fixed on making the club a destination for players who wanted to get the best out of their bodies.

Arocca said: “We interviewed Brad the first time and at the end of it, we said: ‘Is there anything you want or desire if you get this job?’”

“He said ‘Yes, there is this bloke in Adelaide called Steve Saunders, I would love him to come across.’ We knew of him, JB (chairman James Brayshaw) knew how good he was, but we didn’t think we could afford him because he had a private clinic.

“Then a year and a half later the opportunity to get him came up.

“I think it became a really seminal moment for the club. We thought if this bloke is as good as we believe he is, and with the new ($15 million Arden Street redevelopment) facility coming on board, the club was going to be in a position to provide the players, and Brad, with everything they could possibly need.

“There are some key moments in this club’s recent history (after deciding not to go to the Gold Coast). There was getting the Arden St. facility built, getting rid of the shareholders (and returning the club to the members), employing Brad Scott as coach, employing Heath O’Loughlin as our media man, and employing Steve Saunders.

“It was a real step away from well-meaning volunteers who loved the club to a really professional outlook, and Steve has been an important part of that.”

c573d6e38b217ba72189ba6cea7f27aa

Drew Petrie plays his 300th game this weekend. Picture: Getty Images
At that time, Saunders was consulting with up to eight AFL clubs, Cricket Australia, the South Australian Cricket Association, the Australian Track and Field team, the Australian Ballet as well as other overseas sporting clubs and organisation.

A PhD who also lectured in universities around the country, Saunders was noted to have “a special interest in the relationship between neuromuscular control of the lumbo-pelvic region, injury and athletic performance ... Much of this work has dealt primarily with the evaluation and training of lumbo-pelvic control and the assessment and treatment of lumbo-pelvic dysfunction and pain.”

It was a long way from the time as a substitute fieldsman for South Australia in a handful of Sheffield Shield matches while working as a physiotherapist with the team that also boasted a promising young cricket named James Brayshaw.

“He wasn’t a great fieldsman,” former Adelaide Crows star Chris McDermott recalled this week.

“But he was the best in getting your body right.”

McDermott was an early advocate of Saunders when groin injuries threatened to derail his football career. Against the wishes of the Crows, he went to see Saunders and ended up taking half the team because the success rate was so strong.

“He would work on strengthening your core,” he said. “He was huge with all that, and was way ahead of his time in teaching you about core stability. He didn’t hook you up to machines and wait for the light to go green.

“It was pain like I’d never experienced. But he kept me on the park.

“Clubs were always trying to get him to work with them full-time, but he wouldn’t do it as he had his own private clinic. It took Brayshaw to get him (to North Melbourne) ... no Brayshaw, no Saunders. That’s how it was.”

97eae3108a3e9c8f1cb5b92f73070ec7

Daniel Wells is fit and in top form. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Scott said this week: “The goal right from the start was to present a vision to our current players and our future players to create an off-field environment that was going to enable them to play their best football.”

That has come to fruition with the likes of Shaun Higgins and Jarrad Waite joining the club, and thriving, despite enduring injury-prone careers elsewhere.

Alex McDonald, from McDonald Sports, confirmed this week that one of the reasons why Waite chose North Melbourne was because of its sports sciences program, driven by Scott and Saunders.

Scott acknowledged Saunders’ importance, but emphasised “you are only as good as your support team. I don’t want to individualise, they all put in ludicrous hours and have a real passion for the footy club.”

He added: “I still hear some people talk about sports scientists taking players off the ground, and not letting them train or kick for goal. What we wanted was to have a sports science medical team that would support the football program we had, not a sports science medical team that would inhibit the football program.

“We have put an enormous amount of work into it, the players have bought into it and we are now reaping the rewards.”

f3b1ca3a2a418332ee1a87f5fc6b3d93

Michael Firrito is still holding his own in defence. Picture: Colleen Petch
THE ARDEN ST ELIXIR

North Melbourne’s 30-something stars (game averages and Champion Data rating in 2016)

BRENT HARVEY, 38 on Saturday week

SuperCoach pts: 95 — Elite

Disposals: 20.5 — Elite

Uncontested possessions: 15.7 — Elite

Score involvements: 8 — Elite

JARRAD WAITE, 33

SuperCoach pts: 126 — Elite/Career high

Disposals: 17.8 — Elite

Goals: 3.7 — Elite/Career high

Score involvements: 9.8 -Elite/Career high

DREW PETRIE, 33

SuperCoach pts: 67 — Ave