Kanye West

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Kanye was pretty good at Good Vibes Sydney (Saturday).
But overall, a pretty s**t event this year. Last year was probably the best with the acts that came down.

Yeah, I feel that the bands are too diverse for anyone to fully enjoy the show. The DJs aren't enjoyed by the Hip Hop fans because they are more houseish and don't play much that rap fans will like, meanwhile they have differing rappers like Kanye and Cypress, where not alot will like both, then throw in other random things like the Rapture and you have a weird concert. For the record I only managed to see a couple bands I liked. Kanye and Pharoe Monch, was looking to see rapture but clashed, and A Love who wasnt even there

Kanye has done more for music than Cypress Hill. He has more creativity, music sense, and energy on stage than most.He may not be the best rapper around, but he makes up for this in his dedication to his fans and passion for music.

Im sick of people hating on Kanye, it seems to be the 'cool' thing to do these days, go cop his album and listen to some of the s**t he has to say. He is more than the ego and attitude that you see. And Chicago music has taken off thanks to him.

You can't be serious? I was going to stay out of this thread as I really dislike him, but comparing what Kanye has done to what Cypress has done. Hell, Kanye is a popper, not a rapper first of all. Secondly the guy has no lyrical ability. Example, "The Good Life". This has to be one of the worst rap/pop songs ever. It's pretty much like Soulja Boy Crank Dat, with the same verse being repeated over and over.

Cypress have brilliant lyrics, with dark humour and subliminal messages. All Kanye has is a good beat and catchy lyrics. Nothing like refining a genre or bringing a new flare to the genre which Cypress did.

Notice how his lyrics and songwriting have taken a downward spiral on his last album as he hasn't got Lupe or Common ghostwriting for him, and all he's got now are his self produced beats and repetative lyrics.

Kanye puts in more effort than any rapper Ive seen live. I dont know about the crowd in Perth, but I know in Melbourne a very large amount of people went just for Kanye, so they got right into him. The sound quality Ill admit was sub par, which is often the case at festivals, but when your having a good time and yelling the words with them you hardly notice
Kanye does put in a lot of effort into his shows. Tupac put A LOT more effort though and was more exciting to watch (Youtube is your friend). He was more eccentric, got the crowd going and was just raw. Some songs of his live sound better then the actual recording e.g "Only God Can Judge Me", "Im Getting Money Freestyle".

Lawl at people crapping on Cypress hill, but then singing praise to Kayne West, some people really dont get music
Cypress Hill are the biggest joke to rap, I dont see ow anyone can praise their crap. They sound like bitches with their baby nut voices and annoying delivery. Anyone who thinks Kanye West has bad subject matter to his raps and is all "pop" should listen to songs like "Diamonds from Sierra Leone", "Hey Mama", "Through the Wire", "Family Business". Cypress are just absolute potheads, Im suprised they have been able to make albums based around a little green plant.

You can't be serious? I was going to stay out of this thread as I really dislike him, but comparing what Kanye has done to what Cypress has done. Hell, Kanye is a popper, not a rapper first of all. Secondly the guy has no lyrical ability. Example, "The Good Life". This has to be one of the worst rap/pop songs ever. It's pretty much like Soulja Boy Crank Dat, with the same verse being repeated over and over.

Cypress have brilliant lyrics, with dark humour and subliminal messages. All Kanye has is a good beat and catchy lyrics. Nothing like refining a genre or bringing a new flare to the genre which Cypress did.

Notice how his lyrics and songwriting have taken a downward spiral on his last album as he hasn't got Lupe or Common ghostwriting for him, and all he's got now are his self produced beats and repetative lyrics.

You think Good Life is a bad song? It has a cool beat and good lyrics for a hit single - thats all it's meant to be. He has other songs with better lyrics, when he's actually tried. I like Kanye for what he has done to music - taken it away from all the busting 9's, ****ing ho's without rubbers and dealing crack on the corner to my homie's mother type stuff. Its more enjoyable to listen to then "Hits from the bong".

Kanye does put in a lot of effort into his shows. Tupac put A LOT more effort though and was more exciting to watch (Youtube is your friend). He was more eccentric, got the crowd going and was just raw. Some songs of his live sound better then the actual recording e.g "Only God Can Judge Me", "Im Getting Money Freestyle".

Cypress Hill are the biggest joke to rap, I dont see ow anyone can praise their crap. They sound like bitches with their baby nut voices and annoying delivery. Anyone who thinks Kanye West has bad subject matter to his raps and is all "pop" should listen to songs like "Diamonds from Sierra Leone", "Hey Mama", "Through the Wire", "Family Business". Cypress are just absolute potheads, Im suprised they have been able to make albums based around a little green plant.

You think Good Life is a bad song? It has a cool beat and good lyrics for a hit single - thats all it's meant to be. He has other songs with better lyrics, when he's actually tried. I like Kanye for what he has done to music - taken it away from all the busting 9's, ****ing ho's without rubbers and dealing crack on the corner to my homie's mother type stuff. Its more enjoyable to listen to then "Hits from the bong".

I disagree, though its opinion really. Kanye is for the more casual listener of rap. Cypress has better delivery IMO. Kanye IMO has one of the most uninteresting rap "voices" and probably the worst as well.

All that busting 9's, doing ho's without rubbers is all 50 cent, The Game, etc.

Kanye is a lot of levels below the likes of Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Tragedy, Pete Rock, etc.

But, honestly Good Life is one of the songs that falls into the Soulja Boy category for me. It's just repetative lyrics and same hook over and over.

LOL @ the folks who reckon Kanye has done more for his genre (which isn't really hip hop anyway TBH) than Cypress Hill.
Regardless of whether you like Cypress or not,and I'll admit some of their work has not been the best,to say Kanye has done more for music is just plain wrong.
Cypress' "Black Sunday" is a classic of the hip hop genre and shits all over anything Kanye has done.

List of Kanye west classic tracks.

Through the Wire
Family Business
Spaceship
Never Let Me Down
Diamonds from Sierra Leone
Everything I am
Cant Tell me Nothing

And thats tracks hes rapping in, and rapping is his worst aspect. If your going to go production he is arguably one of the most influential people in Hip Hop since 2000, his production on Blueprint was outstanding and defined what Hip Hop sounded like for the next few years.

Sure, these feats aren't as good as rapping about taking another hit from the bong, but what is? Cypress dont have a single song that cracks the above list of Kanye classics, and their influence on hip hop has been nothing postive. Honestly, what is one redeeming feature of Cypress Hill?

Some of the most important things in Rap are
Beats
Flow
Rhyming and Lyricism
Subject Matter
Voice

Cypress aren't outstanding on any of those, and are so far down in lyricism and subject matter that they are terrible. Kanye has a passable voice, good lyricism, good subject matter, good flow and amazing beats. Sure, Mr. West is overrated, but his live shows cannot be questioned and he is so far above Cypress Hill it isnt even funny.

to say Kanye has done more for music is just plain wrong.
Infact it is dead set 100% right. Kanye is one of the most sought after producers and guest rappers around right now. He has defined the sound of Hip Hop in the blueprint era, and gone on to leave his genre to work with bands as varied as Fallout boy and Michael Jackson. And you think the band with such hits as Stoned is the way of the walk, Hits from the Bong, Dr Greenthumb and I wanna get high have done more for rap?

Oh, and dont define an artist by one song, as Good Life>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whats your number.

Through the Wire
Family Business
Spaceship
Never Let Me Down
Everything I am
Cant Tell me Nothing

And thats tracks hes rapping in, and rapping is his worst aspect. If your going to go production he is arguably one of the most influential people in Hip Hop since 2000, his production on Blueprint was outstanding and defined what Hip Hop sounded like for the next few years.

Sure, these feats aren't as good as rapping about taking another hit from the bong, but what is? Cypress dont have a single song that cracks the above list of Kanye classics, and their influence on hip hop has been nothing postive. Honestly, what is one redeeming feature of Cypress Hill?

Beats
Flow
Rhyming and Lyricism
Subject Matter
Voice

Cypress aren't outstanding on any of those, and are so far down in lyricism and subject matter that they are terrible. Kanye has a passable voice, good lyricism, good subject matter, good flow and amazing beats. Sure, Mr. West is overrated, but his live shows cannot be questioned and he is so far above Cypress Hill it isnt even funny.

Infact it is dead set 100% right. Kanye is one of the most sought after producers and guest rappers around right now. He has defined the sound of Hip Hop in the blueprint era, and gone on to leave his genre to work with bands as varied as Fallout boy and Michael Jackson. And you think the band with such hits as Stoned is the way of the walk, Hits from the Bong, Dr Greenthumb and I wanna get high have done more for rap?

Oh, and dont define an artist by one song, as Good Life>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whats your number.

Highlighted is all Kanye has got. Flow? Please, he's all over the place, its not funny. Subject matter? Jesus, a good life, oh yer, he's welll known for his subject matter.:rolleyes:

Cypress have released a stack full more classics then Kanye has.

Mate I never defined Kanye by one song and I agree that What's Your Number is a terrible song BTW,hence the reason I said that Cypress have produced some ordinary stuff over the years.

Kanye may have defined this era of hip hop's sound,more due to savvy marketing,radio saturation and record company promotion than anything else IMO, but that doesn't mean the sound is actually anything to write home about.
His music is just....boring. So what if Cypress write songs about smoking weed and getting high. Music ain't about changing the world,it's about having fun and expressing yourself.

Oh and if you think working with Fall Out Boy is something to be proud of then I would beg to differ.

I disagree, though its opinion really. Kanye is for the more casual listener of rap. Cypress has better delivery IMO. Kanye IMO has one of the most uninteresting rap "voices" and probably the worst as well.

All that busting 9's, doing ho's without rubbers is all 50 cent, The Game, etc.

Kanye is a lot of levels below the likes of Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Tragedy, Pete Rock, etc.
Kanye isn't at all for the casual listener of rap. Yes, he does appeal to everyday music listener's - but hardcore rap fans listen to him as well and like his music. Kanye probably doesn't have one of the best rap voices - but his voice suits his beats well and he puts in 100% and pulls it off. LOL@ calling his voice the worse in the same paragraph as Cypress (B-Real).

But, honestly Good Life is one of the songs that falls into the Soulja Boy category for me. It's just repetative lyrics and same hook over and over.
Its a hit single, its not made to be an album classic is it? It has done what he made it for.

LOL @ the folks who reckon Kanye has done more for his genre (which isn't really hip hop anyway TBH) than Cypress Hill.
Regardless of whether you like Cypress or not,and I'll admit some of their work has not been the best,to say Kanye has done more for music is just plain wrong.
Cypress' "Black Sunday" is a classic of the hip hop genre and shits all over anything Kanye has done.
If you think Kanye West isn't Hip Hop then you are a deadset joke. What is he? A heavy metal artist?

He raps quite well for a producer doesn't he? He produces rap beats for rap artists like Jay-Z, Lupe and others doesnt he? He gets nominated for rap awards, doesnt he?

You have to be kidding to question his Kanye's music style. Its Rap/Hip-Hop. Just because his beats are more "happy" then Dr Dre's style, or Eminem's style doesn't mean you can question his music genre - its still Hip Hop.

Cyrpress have done nothing compared to Kanye in terms of the music industry. They have just put out a few records about weed stories, had a fued with Cube and got murked and now at the age of my grandparents tour as backup to Kanye.:p

Through the Wire
Family Business
Spaceship
Never Let Me Down
Everything I am
Cant Tell me Nothing

Beats
Flow
Rhyming and Lyricism
Subject Matter
Voice

PWNED.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kanye isn't at all for the casual listener of rap. Yes, he does appeal to everyday music listener's - but hardcore rap fans listen to him as well and like his music. Kanye probably doesn't have one of the best rap voices - but his voice suits his beats well and he puts in 100% and pulls it off. LOL@ calling his voice the worse in the same paragraph as Cypress (B-Real).

Its a hit single, its not made to be an album classic is it? It has done what he made it for.

If you think Kanye West isn't Hip Hop then you are a deadset joke. What is he? A heavy metal artist?

He raps quite well for a producer doesn't he? He produces rap beats for rap artists like Jay-Z, Lupe and others doesnt he? He gets nominated for rap awards, doesnt he?

You have to be kidding to question his Kanye's music style. Its Rap/Hip-Hop. Just because his beats are more "happy" then Dr Dre's style, or Eminem's style doesn't mean you can question his music genre - its still Hip Hop.

Cyrpress have done nothing compared to Kanye in terms of the music industry. They have just put out a few records about weed stories, had a fued with Cube and got murked and now at the age of my grandparents tour as backup to Kanye.:p

PWNED.

Lol at the pwned comment. How so? Kanye doesn't have good flow, subject matter, or voice or lyrics.

Highlighted is all Kanye has got. Flow? Please, he's all over the place, its not funny. Subject matter? Jesus, a good life, oh yer, he's welll known for his subject matter.

Cypress have released a stack full more classics then Kanye has.
Look ill admit Kanye's flow is average, but its not terrible. Who is perfect anyway? And Kanye destroys Cypress in subject matter, even though his isn't that deep. He touches on deep issues from time to time. College Dropout is full of such songs, whether its Through The wire, Spaceship, or songs on other CDs like Hey Mama. He has more classics than Cypress and less albums

There is a bit of truth to some of these arguments though Kanye isn't the greatest rapper out there. But he is very entertaining. If you listen to Pharoe Monch, Talib Kweli and Common all the time you are not only going to have a very bleek view on the world but probably wind up very bored aswell. Sometimes you need to listen to the more radio friendly songs. Im not saying ones by artists like Soulja Boy or Nelly, but the songs that are both Quality and Radio Friendly. Kanye fits this category. Although Graduation is not a classic cd, it is a great cd to simply listen to in the car with mates or have in the background when your sitting around talking or whatever.

To borrow a quote used by someone on the other side of the argument
Music ain't about changing the world,it's about having fun and expressing yourself.
If you believe that, then Kanye is a great rapper. He is very enjoyable and entertaining. He is very good at what he is there for.

Kanye West is more pop than hip hop. Hell,Nine Inch Nails got nominated for a Grammy for "Best Heavy Metal Performance" a couple of years ago. Does it mean they're heavy metal?

I'm not saying that the guy isn't a good entertainer,I'm sure he is very good at what he does but I dispute the notion that he has put more into the hip hop genre than Cypress Hill. Cypress have been around forever and I'll hazard a guess that they have more respect from the general hip hop population than Kanye.

Lawl at people crapping on Cypress hill, but then singing praise to Kayne West, some people really dont get music

Couldn't agree more. Most overrated artist ever IMO. Is there anyone out there he hasn't bitten. Then he gets lauded with being so original although he was about 10 years late.

Kanye West is more pop than hip hop. Hell,Nine Inch Nails got nominated for a Grammy for "Best Heavy Metal Performance" a couple of years ago. Does it mean they're heavy metal?

I'm not saying that the guy isn't a good entertainer,I'm sure he is very good at what he does but I dispute the notion that he has put more into the hip hop genre than Cypress Hill. Cypress have been around forever and I'll hazard a guess that they have more respect from the general hip hop population than Kanye.

The question is what have cypress done for hip hop? Kanye was massively influential before he was a rapper, in his producing, I think alot of people who arent real hip hop fans hazard to guess this. He was the main producer on the last great hip hop album, the last one to obtain 5 Mics when it meant something and was deserved

And for anyone doubting Kanyes talents, listen to the College Dropout, which is an awesome CD.

Dude I own College Dropout and that's what got me thinking "hmm this Kanye West guy ain't all that he's cracked up to be."
I had high expectations for that album and it did not live up to them or all the hype surrounding it at all.
Anyways,each to their own. You like Kanye,I don't. I can't be stuffed arguing over it anymore.

Are you actually serious? The band that sings such smash hit songs as Hits from the Bong, Green Thumb and god knows how many other pot references? Forget about comparing them to Kanye, they are as bad as Nelly or Chingy or any other commercialised rapper out there
Hate to break it to you but Kanye is just as commercialized if not more commercialized then Nelly and Chingy

Anyway to all these people praising Kanye.
Lupe Fiasco>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kanye
So much better in every aspect its embarassing.
Best in the game ATM by miles

I totally agree about Lupe, not necessarily that it embarasses Kanye though, because as you put it he is far ahead of everyone at the moment.
Its a pity heaps of people fail to recognize this though isn't it and actually think Snoop Dogg represents quality music.
****ing rubbish, its horrible

Well hopefully those people are drawn to The Cool for Snoop Doggs 'awesome' contribution. Snoop hasn't been relevant since Doggystyle, he Dre and Cube are still living like its the 90s, rather than listening to rap now and the likes of Talib and Lupe. I really wish i got tickets to see Lupe when he came out last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back