Opinion Kardinia Park Statue

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't have 2 or more without GAS, and that will never happen, therefore it's one or none
You could absolutely do it at a Cats theme park, where the vibe wouldn't be as serious so no-one is really getting slighted.

Make the dodgems look like ride on lawnmowers and name the ride after GAS.

Doug Wade because he's 80 and I don't think the guy is even 'legend' status in the Hall of Fame.. seems ridiculous. Deserves something.

Bob Pratt got legend status with 1 less Coleman when he was 84 so it's time even though Pratt won his 3 in a row
The requirement for Legend status is that the person caused the game to change significantly for the better. Doug Wade didn't do that.
Bob Pratt kicked 150 goals in a season, and he and Gordon Coventry changed the game by creating the love for high scoring full forwards.

The requirement for Legend status is that the person caused the game to change significantly for the better. Doug Wade didn't do that.
Bob Pratt kicked 150 goals in a season, and he and Gordon Coventry changed the game by creating the love for high scoring full forwards.
There are worse no namers in the legend group already and if Doug Wade (and Dunstall, Ablett Snr) can’t be put into said class of people then I think the whole thing is a sham. Nothing will change my mind honestly.

I don't like having statues of recently-retired players, it's just far too soon and the hero worship is a bit awkward.

The same goes for Ablett Sr. Having a footy groupie half your age OD on your drugs, in your hotel room, in your company, disqualifies you from statue recognition regardless of time or on-field exploits.

IMO if you were going to create a statue, it should be Farmer, Davis, Hickey etc.

Selwood 355 games, more than twice as many for Geelong than Farmer's playing and coaching career combined
Selwood 4 premierships to Farmers 1
Selwood, you see what he has done around the community outside of footy over the years.

But I wouldn't hesitate to back Farmer, led us to the 63 Premiership, revolutionised the game with handball, stood by the cats in the lean times of the 70's. Established a foundation dedicated to helping indigenous children in football and academia. And all this at a time when as indigenous player he stood up to a society that was racist to its core. Now we rightly get upset when once in a while some moron yells something out from the crowd. He had to face it on a weekly basis from opposition players in the middle of the field. I'm proud to think of Geelong having the first indigenous captain and the first indigenous coach. A statute would get kids asking who he is and keep his inspirational story alive.

Selwood's time will come though.
Couldn't we do both?;)

I’m not sure statues are needed.
A wall of half busts will do the trick.
Adhere them to the stadium walls.

One statue is $250,000 to start with.

I’m going straight to Alex Popescu
We wouldn’t even exist without him.

QR code each bust. Tell the story to the generations.

Really like this idea, there are so many who have contributed so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back