emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Thinking back years ago I recall that there were often bossy female characters called Karen in books, TV shows and movies long before the Karen meme, memes themselves and the internet were even a thing.

Karen was a very common name for Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) and Generation X (born 1965-1980) with the name mainly used from 1940-1990 before falling out of fashion after this name occurring frequently in fiction in these decades is understandable, but why that name with that sort of character and why so often? I remember studying a book at high school where a character's bossy older sister was called Karen and she was an absolute bitch. Then there's Karen from Will and Grace, Kevin and Wayne's outspoken sister Karen from The Wonder Years and a character called Karen Dean in Home and Away in the early 1990s whose loud mouth and opinionated nature often landed her in trouble.

Did these authors and script writers somehow sense something about the name even way back then?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Karen: "do you know California 51A, it says you can't discriminate"
Manager: "We have a right to refuse service".

Karen was just itching for a confrontation...camera in hand and .” medical note”...then gets the shits because the girls just closed the door and refuse service.

Screaming she’s going to sue each and every last one you in there.

You’re on private property Karen

#### off ya ####

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thinking back years ago I recall that there were often bossy female characters called Karen in books, TV shows and movies long before the Karen meme, memes themselves and the internet were even a thing.

Karen was a very common name for Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) and Generation X (born 1965-1980) with the name mainly used from 1940-1990 before falling out of fashion after this name occurring frequently in fiction in these decades is understandable, but why that name with that sort of character and why so often? I remember studying a book at high school where a character's bossy older sister was called Karen and she was an absolute b*tch. Then there's Karen from Will and Grace, Kevin and Wayne's outspoken sister Karen from The Wonder Years and a character called Karen Dean in Home and Away in the early 1990s whose loud mouth and opinionated nature often landed her in trouble.

Did these authors and script writers somehow sense something about the name even way back then?
there are Karen's in various homogenous societies... never thought it would be true...

Karen was just itching for a confrontation...camera in hand and .” medical note”...then gets the shits because the girls just closed the door and refuse service.

#### off ya ####

I hope she doesn't waste the $5000 from GoFundMe.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Karen: "do you know California 51A, it says you can't discriminate"
Manager: "We have a right to refuse service".
And in just about every jurisdication I have looked at, discrimination is perfectly legal with the exception of a series of protected attributes, but outside of those protections a person can discrimatate to their hearts content

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes i believe in cancelling dehumanisation based on belonging to sub groups without choice.
Karens have a choice not to be entitled and nasty.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

#### off ya ####

Yep, just another one that obviously cruises round looking for a confrontation.

Best bit - automatic window closes, "they closed the window they won't even serve me!", window opens and the staff appears with her order in hand :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back