News Karl Amon signs a three year deal to stay at Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it with people losing their minds over mouthguard colours?
I'm glad you asked.
Mouthguards protect the teeth. The issues people are having point to a deep subconscious anxiety. In dream analysis the loss of teeth indicates feelings of helplessness and lack of control over one's circumstances. They can even represent fear of death. Obviously the people obsessing over mouthguards are expressing these emotions based on the circumstances of their football club, rather than personal circumstances. They reveal a deep anxiety about the current state of the club, the lack of influence or control over instigating necessary change, perhaps even an existential fear for the future of the club.

Or they've just had a gutfull of everything and will vent over any trivial thing that gets up their noses.

What a difference a little signature has.

Here we are weeks later and not a single long post to explain in detail, fictitious or otherwise, why Karl was the sole reason we were sheet. :D

We’re many surprised at the votes Amon got in the B&F after the year he had? About the same as Bonner & SPP?

CD have Karl as an elite wingman due mainly to his Above Average ball use and Elite score assists.

Sometimes what you need the most is right under your nose. This is almost the one who got away.
Karl stopped kicking the ball out on the full so often in 2019. He has a beautiful kick, but for someone who has a beautiful kick he shanked it too often and put it out on the full too bloody often before this year.

I think part of his improvement is that he has actually dropped his pace for the last couple of steps, so it means he is more balanced when he kicks and has improved hitting his target compared to previous years.

Karl stopped kicking the ball out on the full so often in 2019. He has a beautiful kick, but for someone who has a beautiful kick he shanked it too often and put it out on the full too bloody often before this year.

I think part of his improvement is that he has actually dropped his pace for the last couple of steps, so it means he is more balanced when he kicks and has improved hitting his target compared to previous years.
Could also be that without Polec in the team he is playing a role that doesn't require him to run flat out every time he gets the ball. That could be deliberate or even subconscious.

Could also be that without Polec in the team he is playing a role that doesn't require him to run flat out every time he gets the ball. That could be deliberate or even subconscious.
Nah its got nothing to do with Polec. Its probably just more efficient practice and maybe some good coaching.

Amon is like me, a left footer but a right hander. The A grade coach when I was playing at Adelaide Uni told me after I had played at the club for a couple of years, but he would take lunctime training in my 3rd year, that I should bounce the ball left handed.

I said why, I'm right handed. He said because you guide the ball down with your left hand to kick, so if you go for a run and bounce it right handed, you waste time to bring it back to your left hand side to kick the ball, and if you are under pressure after a bounce, that can cause you to make ball handling and/or kicking error.

Initially I thought it was irrelevant, but the coach was persistent, so I practiced it. I was pretty poor at first bouncing left handed, but by the end of the season I could bounce the ball at pace with my left hand. After that I would every now and then, in a game if I had 2 bounces or more, do one with my natural right hand and one with my left hand. Most times it was left. It became automatic that even to this day, I bounce the ball with my left hand, despite doing just about everything else right handed.

I remember Wanganeen around 1999 in a game was running flat out bounced right handed, then left handed and the commentator was stunned by it and went on about it.

I went to the China game in 2017 and I sat behind the southern goals - I usually watch footy on the wing or flank. Amon went for 2 or 3 of runs where he ran flat out and had a couple of bounces. Because of my position at the ground I could see what he was doing with his bounces.

He seemed to throw the ball out wide to his right hand side and have to stretch a bit to grab the ball back and then have to make a big movement to drag the ball to the left hand side of his body to kick the ball. All his kicks after his running bounces were crap.

I thought after that game, he has to learn to bounce the ball left handed if he is going to be a player who is going to do a lot of run and carry and use that pace he has.

I don't think Karl has had many bounce runs since 2017, as 2018 he was injured most game and I don't remember any this year. Looking up his stats he had 2 games this year that he bounced the ball once in a game.

Polec is very good at backing off his pace the last couple of steps before he kicks after running flat out, but Matt White is probably the best player I have ever seen kick the ball well after he has run flat out, and has had a bounce or four and being chased, and then hitting targets or kicking goals.

Hopefully Karl's kicking improvement has been as a result on a good observant coach, like I was advised all those moons ago, to practice backing off his pace for the last step or two to help improve his kicking and to hit targets rather than burn the ball.

I want to see Karl run and carry and bounce the ball a lot more than he has done so far in his career and I want him to finish off his searing runs like Matt White used to.

Nah its got nothing to do with Polec. Its probably just more efficient practice and maybe some good coaching.

Amon is like me, a left footer but a right hander. The A grade coach when I was playing at Adelaide Uni told me after I had played at the club for a couple of years, but he would take lunctime training in my 3rd year, that I should bounce the ball left handed.

I said why, I'm right handed. He said because you guide the ball down with your left hand to kick, so if you go for a run and bounce it right handed, you waste time to bring it back to your left hand side to kick the ball, and if you are under pressure after a bounce, that can cause you to make ball handling and/or kicking error.

….

Hopefully Karl's kicking improvement has been as a result on a good observant coach, like I was advised all those moons ago, to practice backing off his pace for the last step or two to help improve his kicking and to hit targets rather than burn the ball.

I want to see Karl run and carry and bounce the ball a lot more than he has done so far in his career and I want him to finish off his searing runs like Matt White used to.

I'm the same REH, right handed, left footed.

I made a similar change by using my computer mouse with the left hand rather than the right.
A month or two later I was doing some painting around the house and was shocked with how natural it had become to swap the paint brush into my left hand to paint the corners etc.

Will be watch Karl closely this year thanks to your insight, cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Initially I thought it was irrelevant, but the coach was persistent, so I practiced it. I was pretty poor at first bouncing left handed, but by the end of the season I could bounce the ball at pace with my left hand. After that I would every now and then, in a game if I had 2 bounces or more, do one with my natural right hand and one with my left hand. Most times it was left. It became automatic that even to this day, I bounce the ball with my left hand, despite doing just about everything else right handed.

I remember Wanganeen around 1999 in a game was running flat out bounced right handed, then left handed and the commentator was stunned by it and went on about it.

I went to the China game in 2017 and I sat behind the southern goals - I usually watch footy on the wing or flank. Amon went for 2 or 3 of runs where he ran flat out and had a couple of bounces. Because of my position at the ground I could see what he was doing with his bounces.

He seemed to throw the ball out wide to his right hand side and have to stretch a bit to grab the ball back and then have to make a big movement to drag the ball to the left hand side of his body to kick the ball. All his kicks after his running bounces were crap.

I thought after that game, he has to learn to bounce the ball left handed if he is going to be a player who is going to do a lot of run and carry and use that pace he has.

I don't think Karl has had many bounce runs since 2017, as 2018 he was injured most game and I don't remember any this year. Looking up his stats he had 2 games this year that he bounced the ball once in a game.

Polec is very good at backing off his pace the last couple of steps before he kicks after running flat out, but Matt White is probably the best player I have ever seen kick the ball well after he has run flat out, and has had a bounce or four and being chased, and then hitting targets or kicking goals.

Interesting observation REH. One question I have that I cant see that you have alluded to is whether or not Amon actually has learnt to bounce with his left hand now??? If not, I really think you should send this information to Port because, although Amon has already improved, this change could result in Amon becoming a superb deliverer to Port's forward line. And that's something Port sorely need!

I still reckon the biggest change for 2019 was mental. Definitely does things differently but it's his aggression, composure and focus that saw him live up to his potential. Can't wait to see what he can do in 2020.

Agreed.

Having more confidence to give and take a hit may even be what has allowed him to compose himself more before kicking.

Karl definitely toughened up in 2019. It was incredible the difference that made to his game.

He's always been an elite runner which means that if he can run a bit smarter, he can get more of the ball and take another step yet. According to the CD guy on afl.com.au, this is all he needs to become an elite wingman.

Karl is 24, I think. This should be a reminder to people who are writing off Atley. He's 21. Sometimes just adding one element to your game can make you as an AFL footballer.

I'm hoping Karl's toughening up rubs off on Bonner. He's in a similar position to where Karl was 12 months ago - harden up or the negatives in his game outweigh the postitives
so true. Bonner could be an elite player. His next 2 years will be telling. With the right coach, we do have some genuine runners with big tanks and high quality ball use. But when playing under a coach with a strategy brain equivalent of a peanut, it all gets flushed down the toilet....

Interesting observation REH. One question I have that I cant see that you have alluded to is whether or not Amon actually has learnt to bounce with his left hand now??? If not, I really think you should send this information to Port because, although Amon has already improved, this change could result in Amon becoming a superb deliverer to Port's forward line. And that's something Port sorely need!
Yeah I didn't answer that because he didn't go for many runs post my observation in 2017 in China.

I guess what I was trying to get at, was that he has improved his balance whilst running and therefore his kicking.

That may have been coach driven from watching footage and like I was given some simple coaching advice re bouncing, he may have been given some simple advice re backing off the last step or two before kicking to improve his balance.

What I saw in China in 2017 stood out like a sore thumb to me was that if he was going to improve his kicking after going for a run and bounce play, he had to improve his balance and that would only come from not throwing down/ bouncing the ball so wide on his right hand side then having to gather it and bring it across to his left hand side to guide it down and kick, whilst running at top pace and being chased.

He played bugger all game in 2018 and only ran and bounced in 2 games in 2019. He obviously post 2018 season, has been working on improving his disposal when he has run and carried the ball up to 15m. All good stuff no matter how it came about.

Yeah I didn't answer that because he didn't go for many runs post my observation in 2017 in China.

I guess what I was trying to get at, was that he has improved his balance whilst running and therefore his kicking.

That may have been coach driven from watching footage and like I was given some simple coaching advice re bouncing, he may have been given some simple advice re backing off the last step or two before kicking to improve his balance.

What I saw in China in 2017 stood out like a sore thumb to me was that if he was going to improve his kicking after going for a run and bounce play, he had to improve his balance and that would only come from not throwing down/ bouncing the ball so wide on his right hand side then having to gather it and bring it across to his left hand side to guide it down and kick, whilst running at top pace and being chased.

He played bugger all game in 2018 and only ran and bounced in 2 games in 2019. He obviously post 2018 season, has been working on improving his disposal when he has run and carried the ball up to 15m. All good stuff no matter how it came about.
Thanks REH. It's unfortunate you are unable to tell due to his lack of bouncing the ball last year but I'd still pass this info on to the relevant coaches at Port (you seem to know the right people there) as this may even take him to the next step of his improvement, along with adding confidence to carry the ball with a run through the midfield. KA is one of the few success stories Port have had in recent times, thank god his trade request was unsuccessful!:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back