News Karl Amon signs a three year deal to stay at Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Never thought this would be a thread but I really feel like Karl has become a priority.

He is playing so much tougher and it has made all the difference. The only questions is, is it just a pre contract bounce or is it permanent.

Either way with Westhoff ageing, Motlop playing poorly and Port not blessed with outside runners all of an sudden re-signing Karl seems like a big priority.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Never thought this would be a thread but I really feel like Karl has become a priority.

He is playing so much tougher and it has made all the difference. The only questions is, is it just a pre contract bounce or is it permanent.

Either way with Westhoff agreeing, Motlop playing poorly and Port not blessed with outside runners all of an sudden re-signing Karl seems like a big priority.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No problems in agreeing. When the Club visited the YP last year , we had the pleasure of having Karl at our table. He is a genuinely nice person and interacted with all around him. I asked what he did after the first game in Shanghai and out came his mobile with a mountain of vids and pics when he visited HK. First time he had ever travelled out of OZ and was still excited as ever.

I understand being a 'nice person' doesn't automatically make you an AFL football player but his transformation has been an absolute highlight. May not be a an elite but he has the tools to be a first pick selection.

Go Karl.

Last edited:

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He is noticeably different this year. He’s standing under high balls and holding his ground and increasingly the mark. He’s chasing now to catch his man and tackle him, not the tokenistic chase of previous seasons. He’s getting to contests with hard running. His OOF count is right down! He is one grabbing the ground ball.

Having Amon and Duursma play the wings properly, with Westhoff also looking better there today, is a big key for us. We have to get the centre square a little better though. R Gray will help there if today’s form continues and I would like Houston to be used there more from now on too.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes and no. I wasn't happy with the Polec deal and he's worth less on the market than Polec is.
At the moment i would compare amon more with young, lobbe and pittard.

We over payed average players who had years of mediocrity then one awesome year, then went back to mediocrity.

At the moment amon hasn't given me confidence he will be anything more than this.

Happy to give him a 2 year extension. If he provides the same output over the 2 years he can have a higher paid, longer term deal.

But if someone comes along with a long term contract for him now and he wants to take it. Let him go.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
At the moment i would compare amon more with young, lobbe and pittard.

We over payed average players who had years of mediocrity then one awesome year, then went back to mediocrity.

At the moment amon hasn't given me confidence he will be anything more than this.

Happy to give him a 2 year extension. If he provides the same output over the 2 years he can have a higher paid, longer term deal.

But if someone comes along with a long term contract for him now and he wants to take it. Let him go.

I compared him with Polec because they're both outside mids. The other players you mentioned are all of different types and had completely different careers. Young showed one good year as a forward, sure, but Lobbe was destroyed by injury and Pittard was given more chances than he deserved.

Amon has been building nicely for a couple of years. I don't see him as a flash in the pan player at this point. We don't have to give him a Lobbe style mega deal but not offering a contract for 2 years (3 if he keeps this kind of form up) would, imo, be negligent.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Happy if he signs and maintains current form.
Getting burnt a couple of times by players who do it for one season and that's it has me thinking I'd like to see 2 seasons before I would say we were desperate to get him done now.

It's win win.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I compared him with Polec because they're both outside mids. The other players you mentioned are all of different types and had completely different careers. Young showed one good year as a forward, sure, but Lobbe was destroyed by injury and Pittard was given more chances than he deserved.

Amon has been building nicely for a couple of years. I don't see him as a flash in the pan player at this point. We don't have to give him a Lobbe style mega deal but not offering a contract for 3 years would, imo, be negligent.
Pittard got an extension off his 2017 year where he made the all Australian squad.

Last year you saw him building?

Maan you saw something i didnt. Thought he was a spud, especially with his kicking.

But hey, it's looking like you're probably right there given his form this year.

Still stand by 2 years max.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Pittard got an extension off his 2017 year where he made the all Australian squad.

Last year you saw him building?

Maan you saw something i didnt. Thought he was a spud, especially with his kicking.

But hey, it's looking like you're probably right there given his form this year.

Still stand by 2 years max.

There was one game where he kicked it out on the full several times, that sticks in everyone's mind. But yes, he's been building. I stand by that.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Always thought Karlito would be some kinda player if he could get enough games under the belt.

Never saw the softness many claimed. Shirk one contest and then people see what they wanna see from thereon.

Would only give him two years on meh money though. Strikes me as the type you want to keep hungry.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He should be so proud of the season he’s putting together. Set the tone today with his intensity from the outset and was rewarded with a few centre square minutes and clearances.
I wonder how much of a boost he got from being given the prison bars mid week.

It might have been just the boost he needed to go to the next level.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1559475262485.png

1559475113195.png

Look at the concentration on his face ... good game Karl ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back