News Karl Amon signs a three year deal to stay at Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god please let's cool our horses. Has had alot of very average performances this year and only a few ok games. We would be crazy to give him a contract longer than one year.

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
That is absolute rubbish ... he has played head-turningly well from his first game this year! The injury came as he was looking to breakout, but he has steadily got better & was brilliant on the weekend.

Not sure there is egg on anyone's face, he was probably the worst semi-regular player in the senior side last year. Gifted so many games when he should have been in the SANFL. I remember when Hawthorn were set to sign him I was ecstatic.

Don't feel that way at all now though. Fantastic turn around and credit to him - absolutely on the Amon-wagon now and hope he continues this new level for the next decade at Port. If we gave him 3 years I'd actually be ok with it (though 2 would probably be optimal just to make sure he backs it up).

Two years I think is the ideal from a list management perspective I think. One year is betting on him dropping off. As keep the form up and he'd be able to ask for more. Sign him for 2 years now and we'd get him at a price that will be unders if he keeps performing.

That is absolute rubbish ... he has played head-turningly well from his first game this year! The injury came as he was looking to breakout, but he has steadily got better & was brilliant on the weekend.

lol. Rose coloured glasses much?

We likely lose Westhoff by the end of the season, which will mean we need another wing man to take his place, we have Watts and of course Duursma, but it's possible that we lose both Amon and Bonner by the end of the season, which may be harmful, unless we want to start putting Rozee on the wing or give Burton a go

He's hard, he's tackling, he's running, and most importantly using that left leg.

Well done Karlos.

Always thought he was a footstep hearing soft utensil but he is, as you say, hardening up. His tackling is becoming a great part of his game also.

Always thought he was a footstep hearing soft utensil

Carn.

Resilience and bravery can be demonstrated in different ways. How many other people would be attempting to forge an AFL career after undergoing 5 hip surgeries when they were younger?

He's not the first and he won't be the last player to step on a field and fail to put his body on the line when the moment comes. Our only 300 game player has been accused of this across his career.

Those sort of comments are peak FB stuff.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

His tackling, chase and willingness to utilise a more laser-like kick shows he has become far more decisive and effective player.
I'm actually recalling a few plays on the weekend where he made an impact and changed the flow of the game.
No more a tentative link man and passenger! Good on him!

Carn.

Resilience and bravery can be demonstrated in different ways. How many other people would be attempting to forge an AFL career after undergoing 5 hip surgeries when they were younger?

He's not the first and he won't be the last player to step on a field and fail to put his body on the line when the moment comes. Our only 300 game player has been accused of this across his career.

Those sort of comments are peak FB stuff.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was and is just my view, Jimmy.

I think it is great he has the guts to go thru what he has done, that doesn't have any bearing on what I have seen on the field.

You may have noticed I stated he is hardening up ( in my view) and his tackling is becoming a weapon as such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon has improved some aspects of his game. He has reduced the clanger kicks this year, is going in harder and getting more of the ball since he came back into the side after going out injured after Rd 2.

Story was that we shopped him around in trade week but there was no takers, so as he was contracted we kept him. Might have been the wake up call he needed to improve. I want to see how he goes over the next few weeks when its wet and cold before i say give him a 2 year contract.

No rush.

Let him continue finding consistency and playing on the edge.

He is more solidly built this year and less the middle to long distance runner we have seen in the past. Perhaps this too is why he is more able to tackle, stand under the ball and put his head over it.

He is one of two players remaining from the 2013 draft. Polec and Impey - traded, Harvey delisted. Our lowest two picks in the draft have arguably been our most successful. He is the right age and has the right skill set for us. He seems a good lad and has worked hard at his craft. His story is a great one and I’m stoked he is finding his groove. Hopefully he keeps going.

That being said no need to pay overs. If he walks or there is strong interest, then great. I would imagine a mid second rounder would be about right. If he wants to stay, then great. 2 years with a trigger for a third, on middle road money.

lol. Rose coloured glasses much?
Nah ... not at all mate. He has just been a terribly inconsistent and frustrating player over the last few years, one that I would have been glad to see leave Port last year. No rose-colored glasses there at all!!

The turn around in his game has been exponential, in that he has gone from a "discard," to an absolute keeper or me! A total surprise, and I am quite happy to give credit where it is due.

I want to see him get some more consistency with his kick, but aside from that it’s good to see he’s added a physical element to his play.
So you admit you were wrong then?

I think you owe old mate Karl an apology for the tirades of abuse he has been subjected to from Pike pocket.

So you admit you were wrong then?

I think you owe old mate Karl an apology for the tirades of abuse he has been subjected to from Pike pocket.

Not sure there are too many people on this board who don't owe Karl an apology TBH. It's pretty much just Macca19.

im sceptical still on Amon.
has his good and bad games....
I dont want it to be a contract year type of performance.
He is playing for his career, but so are all the players really, especially fringe players, so nothing wrong with that. What impresses me is that from day 1, he went Bang this season, and besides the injury, he hasnt missed a beat - In fact getting better each game, to the point that he is getting midfield time now.

We all knew he had it in him, but he has gained something extra this year ... IMO it has something to do with more than just "contract" related improvement. I reckon its the direct influence of Schofield as his line coach.

He is playing for his career, but so are all the players really, especially fringe players. What impresses me is that from day 1, he went Bang this season, and besides the injury, he hasnt missed a beat - In fact getting better each game, to the point that he is getting midfield time now.

We all knew he had it in him, but he has gained something extra this year ... IMO it has something to do with more than just "contract" related improvement. I reckon its the direct influence of Schofield as his line coach.

No references to Schofield until North and Carlton have their positions filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back