Free Agency Karl Amon [Unrestricted Free Agent to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh, I get it a bit more now that it's supposed to be "trading cards" but it's just a complete fail IMO

Same get it now, but initially it looked more like like a packet of chips.
My first thought was WTF !

Then maybe wipe the [expletive] out of your eyes. You're the one saying he's played 1 good year and we'd only get a 2nd round compo. That would be something like 3x400k. He's 27 by the end of the season, he had a poor start to his career and I imagine his financial situation reflects this so he has 1 genuine pay day contract. He'll be asking 4-5 years at 500k minimum and likely to get a fair bit more depending upon his year this year. We were actively seeking out free agents with our cap so we are not going to get squeezed out, it's going to require a) him genuinely wanting to return home for unders (which seems unlikely) or b) Someone has offered him a big contract that we're not going to match. He's averaged 19.5 , 16(in 2020), 23.5, and is now around the 23 disposals after 5 rounds, as a quick skilled winger that doesn't need 35 to hurt teams. His form over the last 18-24 months puts him in the top half a dozen proper wingers in the competition. With the compensation that has floated around over the past few years a 2nd round compensation would likely see us threaten legal action and see what a court thinks of the AFL's 'herbs and spices'. The most likely scenario is he'll stay, and if not it will either be next pick 1st round or end of 1st round compo.
Still think the club will threaten legal action if its a 2nd round pick?

Same compensation as Richmond received for Brandon Ellis who was on a very similar per annum salary but with an additional year and was arguably a better performed/credentialed player when he left.

Same compensation as Richmond received for Brandon Ellis who was on a very similar per annum salary but with an additional year and was arguably a better performed/credentialed player when he left.
Vic bias

Gold Coast gave up Ablett, a Round 2 pick (24) and a 2018 Round 4 pick, while the Cats gave up an end of Round 1 pick (19) and a 2018 Round 2 pick.
This is from fox sports on 14 Oct 2017

THE footy world is once again in a tizzy over free agency compensation.

Geelong fans are celebrating after the news that Steven Motlop’s departure to Port Adelaide would earn them an end of first round draft pick - currently Pick 19 - rather than the expected end of second round pick, which would have been Pick 35.

Last edited:
This is the same Brandon Ellis who polled 4 Brownlow Votes in the last 4 years at Richmond compared to the Karl Amon who polled 15 votes in 1 year but Ellis is the better player?

That Vic bias.
All that proves is what a joke the brownlow voting is

Who would have predicted Amon to get 15 votes?

Very strange that was

All that proves is what a joke the brownlow voting is

Who would have predicted Amon to get 15 votes?

Very strange that was
Well its more data than what you guys gave just a Brandon Ellis is arguably a better player

Darcy Byrne Jones is arguably a better player than Dustin Martin but Martin has 2 Brownlows - just proves what a joke Brownlow voting is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well its more data than what you guys gave just a Brandon Ellis is arguably a better player

Darcy Byrne Jones is arguably a better player than Dustin Martin but Martin has 2 Brownlows - just proves what a joke Brownlow voting is.
What do you mean you guys?

It was one bigfooty poster?

Don't really understand your last comment

When people bring up brownlow votes you know they’ve failed. Let’s see where he finishes in their BnF and how many coaches voted he got
No - when you arbitrarily say one player is better than another without providing anything that's the fail.

I used Brownlow votes because its easy to find and its too easy to rack up cheap stats to use that as a guide.

Hinkley is hardly going to be giving him coaches votes everyone knows he's been leaving all year.

Can Play this game for what its worth

1664518460614.png 1664518513631.png

No - when you arbitrarily say one player is better than another without providing anything that's the fail.

I used Brownlow votes because its easy to find and its too easy to rack up cheap stats to use that as a guide.

Hinkley is hardly going to be giving him coaches votes everyone knows he's been leaving all year.

Can Play this game for what its worth

View attachment 1522518View attachment 1522522
Yes Ellis is the perfect example for Port fans as to what Amon was going to net

Yes Ellis is the perfect example for Port fans as to what Amon was going to net
Yeah but here is the difference when you don't get a complete picture

Amon 19th in the league for metres gained
Ellis 61st in the league for metres gained

Amon 37th in the league for inside 50's
Ellis 119th in the league for inside 50's

Yeah but here is the difference when you don't get a complete picture

Amon 19th in the league for metres gained
Ellis 61st in the league for metres gained

Amon 37th in the league for inside 50's
Ellis 119th in the league for inside 50's
2 of the most overrated stats in the game if they’re long inside 50 kicks to the opposition they’re not that useful

Given the choice between Amon or a mid 20's pick. I know which one I'd want.
Amon is a bloody good player.

If you also factor in the amount of coin that Amon will be on at Port, I would rather the pick.

Still for once they seemed to have got the compo right for a change.

Amon getting band 3 was expected. If Brad Crouch couldn't get Band 1 or 2 on similar coin then Amon wouldn't.

Amon is a better player than Ellis.

Maybe Ellis is slightly more versatile, but for impact across a season it’s not even close.

Amon has been one of the best wings in the competition the past couple of seasons and should have jagged an AA spot last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back