Free Agency Karl Amon [Unrestricted Free Agent to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers management were disappointed with the compo that was given for Ellis and rightly asked for clarification, based on the fact that Motlop and Lycett (who got identical contracts as Ellis) got band 2 compensation the previous year, the answer came back that the inflation for 1 year put Ellis compo into band 3.

Amon will make the All Australian Team next year and the d**kheads will say look at what a better player Amon is at Hawthorn and he'll be just the same. But you are a 50% better player if your postcode starts with a 3.

You can put an alarm on this post for 12 months.
Hawks are rustled on to finish bottom 3 next season. Going to hard for any player at Hawthorn to make the AA Tea.

No - when you arbitrarily say one player is better than another without providing anything that's the fail.

I used Brownlow votes because its easy to find and its too easy to rack up cheap stats to use that as a guide.

Hinkley is hardly going to be giving him coaches votes everyone knows he's been leaving all year.

Can Play this game for what its worth

View attachment 1522518View attachment 1522522

Please tell me you didn’t just roll with a one season stats comp and ignored the comparable salaries (main factor) and that Ellis had about half a dozen decent years under his belt and a runner up in the B&F and two premierships at the time he moved compared to Amon’s two decent seasons.

You got the same compo for roughly similar players on almost the same contract. FMD vIc BiAs.

Yeah but here is the difference when you don't get a complete picture

Amon 19th in the league for metres gained
Ellis 61st in the league for metres gained

Amon 37th in the league for inside 50's
Ellis 119th in the league for inside 50's

Also depends on role as dictated by the coach. Ellis played a sweeper role a fair bit from memory. Happy to be proven wrong but what were their respective D50 exit stats

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Amon will make the All Australian Team next year and the d**kheads will say look at what a better player Amon is at Hawthorn and he'll be just the same. But you are a 50% better player if your postcode starts with a 3.

Explain James Sicily then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no chance Amon makes All Australian. Not because he’s not good enough, he just plays the wrong position. They don’t pick genuine wingmen.

Explain James Sicily then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explain what? I assume you are asking why Sicily hasn't made the All-Australian team. So you're also assuming he is the best centre half back in the league which he isn't and that's why he hasn't made the All-Australian team.

Please tell me you didn’t just roll with a one season stats comp and ignored the comparable salaries (main factor) and that Ellis had about half a dozen decent years under his belt and a runner up in the B&F and two premierships at the time he moved compared to Amon’s two decent seasons.

You got the same compo for roughly similar players on almost the same contract. FMD vIc BiAs.
Playing in premierships does not make you a better player just means you are in the right place at the right time.

No - when you arbitrarily say one player is better than another without providing anything that's the fail.

I used Brownlow votes because its easy to find and its too easy to rack up cheap stats to use that as a guide.

Hinkley is hardly going to be giving him coaches votes everyone knows he's been leaving all year.

Can Play this game for what its worth

View attachment 1522518View attachment 1522522

Why would we be comparing Amon's season this year with Ellis's this year? Surely we'd be better off looking at Ellis's stats in the season prior to his move?

Disposals: 21.1
Kicks: 11.7
Handballs: 9.4
Marks: 5
Tackles: 2.5
Clearances: 1.5
Disposal Efficiency: 77% (vs 71.7%)
Kick Efficiency: 74.8% (vs 63.2%)
Score involvements: 4.6 (vs 5.3)

They are not so different from one another. I do agree Amon is the better player, but compared to Ellis's 2019 season you can see why the compensation would be similar (Richmond's compensation ended up as pick 44)

Explain what? I assume you are asking why Sicily hasn't made the All-Australian team. So you're also assuming he is the best centre half back in the league which he isn't and that's why he hasn't made the All-Australian team.

Sicily was easily the best defender this year. He was also robbed in 2019. The AA selectors show time and again that they are terrible at their job.

Leading the 4th worse defense in the League of course he was easily the best defender in the league. <hint sarcasm>

GWS finished 3 spots below us and managed to get a defender in the AA.

A defender who didnt have as good a year.

If people understood football they'd know its not just about the defenders. A s**t midfield will leak defensive inside 50s.

GWS finished 3 spots below us and managed to get a defender in the AA.

A defender who didnt have as good a year.

If people understood football they'd know its not just about the defenders. A s**t midfield will leak defensive inside 50s.
Sicily is just not as good as what Taylor is and is prone to head explosions and Taylor is only getting better.

In 2019 McGovern was the centre half back who at that time was also a better player than Sicily.

Prone to head explosions? How many this year?

Its not 2018.
The head explosions is a silly comment, but it’s a tough call between Taylor and Sicily, Sicily isn’t the clear winner.

Sicily got a lot more of the ball, but Taylor ranked better in spoils, contested marks, intercept marks and contest loss %. Suggesting that as an actual defender Taylor performed better.

The head explosions is a silly comment, but it’s a tough call between Taylor and Sicily, Sicily isn’t the clear winner.

Sicily got a lot more of the ball, but Taylor ranked better in spoils, contested marks, intercept marks and contest loss %. Suggesting that as an actual defender Taylor performed better.
Sicily defended as well, with conceding the same amount of goals as Taylor for the year, Steven May too. While being similar to Taylor for intercepts, and I’m not sure on spoils but it wouldn’t be far off either. Then Sicily was clearly better in winning the footy, rebounding using his elite kicking skills etc

Sicily was the best defender in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back