Free Agency Karl Amon [Unrestricted Free Agent to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't get close to round 1. We lost Ellis for that same contract, 25 years old, 2 flags and a couple aa squad nominations, and only got pick 39
Who are you referring to, Brayshaw?

I'd imagine he would go close but even if he was band two it's the same pick

Edit, sorry just saw the post you quoted.

It will come down to how desperate the club is to get him but I doubt he gets band one. More likely 2 to 3 IMO

Make no mistake the Blues are a destination club and Karl Amon wants to be reunited with his former coach.

It's just what it is.

Won't get close to round 1. We lost Ellis for that same contract, 25 years old, 2 flags and a couple aa squad nominations, and only got pick 39
Ellis reportedly got 3m over 5 which is 600k, not 650.

Ellis got band 3 for a $3m contract, and lycett got band 2 for the same reported contract.

Which suggests that Ellis was right on the cusp of getting band 2.

afl reported that crouch is getting 600-650k and fell into band 3.

From that it’s reasonable to say that 650k would get you a very good shot at band 2.

I doubt Amon gets an offer that gets near band 1. Tho teams have made worse offers (Zac Williams lol).

He didn't actually say that's what he is or would be offered. He said that if he did get that he would be close to first round compensation.

"Ralph said if Amon signed a five-year rival offer worth around $650,000 per season, Port could get “close to” a first-round free agency compensation pick."

I think he'd need to get north of that looking at the last couple of years anyway
As A saints fan, would you want Karl Amon in your team?

aussierulesrules , your thoughts? Do you want him in Moorabbin?

Anyone would take Amon without having to trade

Its the money that would be the issue

If he takes a basic offer then yeah, but if he's chasing a big pay packet I don't think we'd be that desperate for him

You should think of Band 1 compensation starting between $750,000 and $800,000 a year. It fluctuates depending on how many players are in the age group.

The season Amon has put forth so far, I would be very surprised if Port got band 1 compo.

Reckon they will get what the Crows got for Brad Crouch tbh.

I would be very surprised if Port got band 1 compo.

The circumstance that could lead to Port getting a Band 1 pick that I can think of:

Port wants a player from where Amon ends up
Port indicates they will send the compensation pick for that player
The club Amon ends up at makes the deal two years front loading it up to $800,000 a year and then after a year extends him for three more.

He’d be nice to have, but if we had everyone on the park then he arguably wouldn’t be in the starting 18, and his inclusion would make it harder for Wanganeen-Milera (who’d be fighting for the same position) to get a game, and we wouldn’t want to stifle his development, or make it easier for him to be lured home, so I definitely wouldn’t want us to break the bank for him, or give him say 5 years.

If he agreed to come on say $550K PA plus incentives for for 4 years then I’d be happy with that.

Would not even consider him for anything like $650-$700K PA x 5.

The season Amon has put forth so far, I would be very surprised if Port got band 1 compo.

Reckon they will get what the Crows got for Brad Crouch tbh.
Joking surely, crouch was coming back from multiple groin surgeries, hardly played a game and had a less then savoury run in with the law at end of that trade yr. No comparison at all.

Last edited:
He’d be nice to have, but if we had everyone on the park then he arguably wouldn’t be in the starting 18, and his inclusion would make it harder for Wanganeen-Milera (who’d be fighting for the same position) to get a game, and we wouldn’t want to stifle his development, or make it easier for him to be lured home, so I definitely wouldn’t want us to break the bank for him, or give him say 5 years.

If he agreed to come on say $550K PA plus incentives for for 4 years then I’d be happy with that.

You say if Amon goes to the saints, you claim Wanganeen Milera and Amon will be fighting for that same spot.

How is that a bad thing? Saints are creating depth and both blokes will work harder and train harder for the same spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this line is utter rubbish.

Who are the all-aus level wings / mids that the saints would be picking over Amon?
Firstly, Amon has never made an AA team, so that question is irrelevant, secondly, it’s not 2021 anymore and Amon is back to being a LONG way off AA level, and no guarantee of ever getting back to AA squad level.

Seb Ross once made an AA squad and so did Dan Butler, but it doesn’t mean they’ll ever get there again.

It also needs to be remembered that so far this year we haven’t gotten a single game out of Billings, Clark, or Coffield, and only got Jones back for his first game last week, so that’s 4 guys we need to find spots for in the team that we’ve had for most of the year, and all 4 of them are clearly best 22 when fit, in form and available. And if so would or could be picked ahead of Amon in his current form.

You say if Amon goes to the saints, you claim Wanganeen Milera and Amon will be fighting for that same spot.

How is that a bad thing? Saints are creating depth and both blokes will work harder and train harder for the same spot.
It would be fine if Wangmil wasn’t from SA, but he is, so if he’s not getting games next year because we’ve recruited Amon, and because he’s also behind the likes of Clark, Billings, Ross, Jones and co for a spot on a wing, it greatly increases the risk that he’ll request a trade home at the end of his current contract.

If he re-signs in the meantime then that of course becomes pretty much a non concern.

Firstly, Amon has never made an AA team, so that question is irrelevant, secondly, it’s not 2021 anymore and Amon is back to being a LONG way off AA level, and no guarantee of ever getting back to AA squad level.

Seb Ross once made an AA squad and so did Dan Butler, but it doesn’t mean they’ll ever get there again.

It also needs to be remembered that so far this year we haven’t gotten a single game out of Billings, Clark, or Coffield, and only got Jones back for his first game last week, so that’s 4 guys we need to find spots for in the team that we’ve had for most of the year, and all 4 of them are clearly best 22 when fit, in form and available. And if so would or could be picked ahead of Amon in his current form.
If Amon, one of the top handful of wings in the game would not make your 18 as you claimed, the obvious inference is that you must have AA level wings already.

I asked you to name those players? You didn’t really name them, you threw some random names out. None of those players you named would keep Amon from a wing spot. Like naming coffield lol.

Melbourne could be a dark horse for him particularly if Brayshaw leaves. Would suit them and give them the best wing combo in the league. Wont be offered overs though.

To be honest I doubt any Vic club in finals contention would offer overs to get him. Unless he wants to go to a rebuilding club for what is left of his prime I doubt he gets more money elsewhere then if he stays at Port. Reckon offers range from 500k-650k x 4-5.

Where he goes will probably depend more on where he wants to play rather then some club blowing the lights out contract wise

Last edited:
Melbourne could be a dark horse for him particularly if Brayshaw leaves. Would suit them and give them the best wing combo in the league. Wont be offered overs though.

To be honest I doubt any Vic club in finals contention would offer overs to get him. Unless he wants to go to a rebuilding club for what is left of his prime I doubt he gets more money elsewhere then if he stays at Port. Reckon offers range from 500k-650k x 4-5.

Where he goes will probably depend more on where he wants to play rather then some club blowing the lights out contract wise
There’s just no way he’s getting near as low as 500k.

Didn’t Brad crouch get something like 600-650k on the back of barely playing due to being injured, looking cooked, and a bunch of other s**t that didn’t look good right before leaving? Has there even been a quality free agent in their prime who has gone for 500k? Ellis and lycett went for substantially more than that. Rockliff went for way more than that after being injured for 2 years.

Free agents always get big contracts to pull them away.

He will get somewhere from 650-700k.

Didn’t Brad crouch get something like 600-650k on the back of barely playing due to being injured, looking cooked, and a bunch of other s**t that didn’t look good right before leaving? Has there even been a quality free agent in their prime who has gone for 500k? Ellis and lycett went for substantially more than that. Rockliff went for way more than that after being injured for 2 years.

I said a range. I also doubt he goes for 500k (probably slightly low I agree). More likely 600k-650k.

Will also depend where he goes. Ellis got that contract because he was willing to go to the goldcoast. Nobody else would have paid him that much.

Of the four clubs that have been mentioned (St Kilda, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Carlton) the only one I see willing to pay him 700k+ is Hawthorn and if he goes there they will be rebuilding for whats left of his prime.

I also wouldnt be surprised if we experience a change in climate regarding these mega money contract offers. A lot of clubs have been burnt by them in recent years. Signing a player like Amon on massive long term money screams risky. He is a good player but plays an outside role and has only had a few great years. Never been AA. If it was 2 years ago I would be more confident that someone forks out 750k+.

Is there a reason everyone thinks hes leaving PA btw? Is it an assumption that he will get offered mega money elsewhere that port wont match or something else? From where I stand I think he is worth as much to Port as any of the clubs being mentioned as potential homes.

I said a range. I also doubt he goes for 500k (probably slightly low I agree). More likely 600k-650k.

Will also depend where he goes. Ellis got that contract because he was willing to go to the goldcoast. Nobody else would have paid him that much.

Of the four clubs that have been mentioned (St Kilda, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Carlton) the only one I see willing to pay him 700k+ is Hawthorn and if he goes there they will be rebuilding for whats left of his prime.

I also wouldnt be surprised if we experience a change in climate regarding these mega money contract offers. A lot of clubs have been burnt by them in recent years. Signing a player like Amon on massive long term money screams risky. He is a good player but plays an outside role and has only had a few great years. Never been AA. If it was 2 years ago I would be more confident that someone forks out 750k+.

Is there a reason everyone thinks hes leaving PA btw? Is it an assumption that he will get offered mega money elsewhere that port wont match or something else? From where I stand I think he is worth as much to Port as any of the clubs being mentioned as potential homes.
There’s lots of really questionable stuff here.

1. What evidence is there that teams are going to become shy about free agency contracts? There’s absolutely zero evidence that this is happening, it’s just your gut feel, and I disagree. if anything it’s been slowly and steadily trending the other way.

2. What teams have been really burnt by massive free agency contracts? I think you’re really overplaying it here. At a guess there must have been 40+ free agents signed since it came in.

3. You said range, and included an amount that there’s no way he would move for, and now seem to be walking that back while also not at the same time?

4. 650k is not massive money. For top 15 at club players in the prime age range between 27-30 nearly all of them would be on that, close to that, or more.

It’s naive to think clubs have top end players in that age range getting paid considerably less than 600k, and it takes money to get players to move clubs.

5. He made the all-aus squad. If the criticism of him is that he hasn’t made the aa team (and doesn’t deserve a good contract) how many of the past band 2 and 3 players have been aa selections? I’m going to say it would be a very small fraction.

6. I don’t know what your talking about when you ask why people are assuming he’s gone. There’s really nothing more than speculation here and there isn’t a lot of people adamantly claiming he’s staying or going.

Yeah he’s certainly worth more to port than an uncertain draft pick. Most port fans would want to keep him, and the only reason any want him to leave is because we are probably the best stocked team in the league for running / outside mids and we have some real issues in other positions and a lack of draft picks to try to fix those needs.

Wing is one of the hardest spots to fill / draft in the league. There’s a massive hole in quality wings in the league and lots of clubs have had trouble trying to find them in the draft.

Carlton for instance have busted on drafting wingers for ages.

If his pay demands are reasonable then I would certainly be interested. I think the Saints will be too as I believe that he is a good fit for us. .
I think he will not be too expensive as he is a very good player, rather than a Big Fish.

Saints still need to improve in order to be a genuine contender.

One key area that Saints can get better is by improving our ball use, and Amon is a better user of the ball than many at the Saints. His pace also makes him attractive.

NVM was taken because he is a superb kick.

Now McKenzie and Wood have been good for StKilda this year. But I could see Amon displacing either of them.
Amon could also play HB.

Again St Kilda need to improve the quality of our ball use.

However it is important to remember that to acquire a player from another club, that they have to want to choose your club. And not just that you want them.

While money is important to a player, they also consider other aspects that are important to them.

ie Buddy to Swans to be able to live in a non-AFL mad town. Dangerfield to Geelong for the lifestyle.

With Amon the Saints have a few of these non-monetary reward factors going their way:

• He grew up and played near Moorabbin. His parents still do.
  • He (pre-AFL) and his family are all St Kilda diehard fans.
  • His mum now works at the Saints as the Indigenous Development Manager (which will increase his faith that the culture will be a good fit for him).
  • St Kilda now have a large number of indigenous players. This will assist in him fitting in, and in having confidence that he will fit in.

Now the above points do not make him a lock to the Saints, but they certainly will help in securing him if the Saints are interested.

Crouch missed a handful of games in 2020 after playing every game in 2019 and winning a best and fairest in that year.

Hes is also better footballer than Amon

Crouch missed a handful of games in 2020 after playing every game in 2019 and winning a best and fairest in that year.

Hes is also better footballer than Amon
Highly debatable. Also positional needs change a players value. There is a plethora of much better players than Crouch is his position out there, not so much for Amon.

Would take the midfield at the Blues to the next level. Our wings are probably our least impressive line
Depends on how much and how long. He had a good year last year granted but his career before that wasn't spectacular and although he ranks elite for Meters Gained his kicking efficiency is at 59.6% so is turning it over 4/10 times and has kicked 2.9 so isn't finishing off his work. He is not a bad player but dependent on how much you're paying I don't personally see him as a significant upgrade especially when you can probably target someone in this kind of position early in the draft with your midfield and KPP depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back