Ghost/Paranormal Katabasis: Hughes, Goya & the descent into the psychic underworld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I have always been a huge fan of the noted historian & renowned Aussie Art Critic Robert Hughes (1938-2012.) Ever since I read his 'The Fatal Shore' in my early 20's & then saw his rightly acclaimed Tv series 'The Shock Of The New'....A phenomenal tour-DE-force of the history of modern Western society as depicted in it's art movements.

After Hughes was involved in a near fatal head-on car-crash in Broome, W.A in 1999...He then spent the next 5 weeks in a coma while recovering in intensive care....What happened over the course of those 5 weeks remained with Hughes thereafter....He was haunted throughout his unconscious sojourn, by nightmarish images of ghoulish figures that populated his psyche....But instead of running from those 'realer than real' images & going mad once he awoke from them, he actively sought them out & found them, in the personage & works of Francisco Goya. (1746-1828)

His subsequent documentary that followed entitled: Goya: 'Crazy like a Genius' (2002) was a magnificent insight into the subterranean underworld that populates the human psyche beneath our conscious will.....About which the ancient Greeks knew full well. (Orpheus & Eurydice, Odysseus descent into the underworld, The Persephone cult & the Hymn to Demeter)

Goya went deaf at around the age of 50, from 75 onward he spent his life as a recluse & daubed the plaster walls of his isolated farm-house with what is termed his 'black paintings'....It is these paintings & images that directly struck a chord with Hughes & resonated so deeply with him.

As a kid, I distinctly recall watching episodes of Spider-man in the underworld, prior to heading off to primary school in the morning....For some reason those images also 'stuck-fat' & struck a haunting chord with me, to the extent that they were a foreboding of what was to come....Indeed, Western art throughout the centuries has also depicted this decent into the psychic underworld & yet, we do very little by way of initiation of our children into & about the path that lies before them.....Knowing what I know now, having endured a similar nightmarish path in my late 20'S & early 30's, this is truly shocking to me.

These are well worn archetypes of ancient wisdom....And yet our naive, puritan, one-dimensional Christian fear of what lies beneath, has only served to suppress & crush such emotional psychic truths - about the human predicament - to the point of ostracizing & alienating each & every individual who attempts the journey.....Our Western industrialized & mechanized world has only served to exacerbate the problem further....And now, we sit upon the precipice of a nuclear Armageddon because of such a repressive & tyrannical code.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Pics or gtfo

But seriously, post pics to encourage discussion...

Okay:

upload_2017-11-7_10-53-18.jpeg upload_2017-11-7_10-53-39.jpeg upload_2017-11-7_10-54-30.jpeg upload_2017-11-7_10-54-44.jpeg

These are samples of what is termed Goya's 'Witches paintings', which adorned the walls of his house as a deaf old hermit....They're no Dante's inferno granted....Highly symbolic of Hades/Hecate's underworld realm....A fully explicated Classical Greek archetype of the human subconscious.

upload_2017-11-7_11-0-30.jpeg Saturn devouring his son....The look of self-conscious awareness of one's own insanity here is absolute genius....A metaphorical exemplar for what many parents do to their children's souls....Also a highly prevalent archetype in ancient Greek mythos, as explicated in Hesiod's Theogony.

• Banned
upload_2017-11-7_18-59-16.jpeg Another fav of mine....Goya's "The sleep of Reason"....Although it does not inform a part of his 'Dark Paintings' group as such, it very much belongs to the genre & serves as a precursor to them.

So rather than humanizing mankind, The one-dimensional aspect of advocating Reason alone, & the move to suppress & repress the irrational/emotive aspects in man, leads to him being haunted by the ghosts & demons of the subconscious under-world.

.https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.us5kSeGoI2_AUtjMTzIFlgEgDY&pid=15.1

Goya came out of the other side of the Enlightenment world & saw first hand the result of 'Reason enacted' in the form of the Napoleonic wars, where many Spaniards were massacred by the French....His "The Disasters of War series" is every bit as perceptive & chilling as his 'Black paintings' were.

upload_2017-11-7_19-11-28.jpeg 'May the 3rd' (1808) is likely his most famous work from the Napoleonic wars....And is generally considered by many to be a masterpiece.

upload_2017-11-7_19-10-49.jpeg A sample of his hundreds of sketches encapsulating the savagery of the upload_2017-11-7_19-24-22.jpeg disasters of war.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_19-9-53.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-7_19-9-53.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
A thread celebrating Robert Hughes seems in pretty poor taste after his incarceration.

Same name, different bloke.

One is a well-known & respected Aussie historian & art critic on the international stage, while the other was a mere Aussie soap actor-paedo.

The one in this thread also passed away some 6 years ago now.

It's a bit like comparing an intellectual monolith to a piss-ant provincial pleb.....Unless you're just having a laugh.

Same name, different bloke.

One is a well-known & respected Aussie historian & art critic on the international stage, while the other was a mere Aussie soap actor-paedo.

The one in this thread also passed away some 6 years ago now.

It's a bit like comparing an intellectual monolith to a piss-ant provincial pleb.....Unless you're just having a laugh.

Joking mate. The thread itself is quite interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back