Game Day Katamatite South v City (City vs Country Intraclub @ Arden Street)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its definitely looking like a development year now.

I went last week and compared to previous years we certainly appear to lack finesse.

Our skills are rubbish. We really need blokes like Wagner, J Williams and Simpkin to come on fast. Andserson and Garner on the park would also be noice.

Improvement, i think, will come in-season. So hopefully we are playing some better footy by the end of the year.

Watch Swans field a bunch of kids and not care. We will still get shalacked. Having said this, Swans were probably the best team last year and likely flag favourites this year. But the point is we will be a long way off the top four and unlikely against top eight this year.

Im taking dome low expectations in for the year and hoping to be suprised. Development of our kids will be worth the price of admission aswell as some breakout games from Wood, Preuss, Mvdonald etc.

Its definitely looking like a development year now.

I went last week and compared to previous years we certainly appear to lack finesse.

Our skills are rubbish. We really need blokes like Wagner, J Williams and Simpkin to come on fast. Andserson and Garner on the park would also be noice.

Improvement, i think, will come in-season. So hopefully we are playing some better footy by the end of the year.

Watch Swans field a bunch of kids and not care. We will still get shalacked. Having said this, Swans were probably the best team last year and likely flag favourites this year. But the point is we will be a long way off the top four and unlikely against top eight this year.

Im taking dome low expectations in for the year and hoping to be suprised. Development of our kids will be worth the price of admission aswell as some breakout games from Wood, Preuss, Mvdonald etc.

You will get rubbished for this post, but the truth is that you're right. The skills were really poor. The game looked like a faster version of an Amateurs praccy match. The only saving grace is that 60% of the participants were actually VFL players. No reasonable person watching that game would hold out hope of a top 8 finish.

You will get rubbished for this post, but the truth is that you're right. The skills were really poor. The game looked like a faster version of an Amateurs praccy match. The only saving grace is that 60% of the participants were actually VFL players. No reasonable person watching that game would hold out hope of a top 8 finish.
I don't think it's an unpopular opinion.

Goldstein
Tarrant
Thompson
Brown
Daw
Jacobs
Garner
Simpkin
Anderson
Wright
Gibson

Were all not playing.

How anyone could possibly judge the outcome of a 22 game season based on this is being a bit harsh.

In reality, all we needed to do is replace Wells, Petrie, Firitto, Dal Santo and Harvey.

And with a combination of Higgins, Hrovat, Mountford, Atley, McKay, Marley, Turner & Thomas -----> we did.
And Successfully.

Nielson, Vickers-Willis and Durdin are getting miles in the legs too and noticeably played better after the break.

Don't underestimate how good some of the kids were either, the rookies, JWillo, Souva etc all showed plenty.

Yep it did often look like Arden St was a suburban oval hosting a suburban game, but the class players stood out like dogs balls and many others were on the sidelines or delivering water bottles. I think it will be the Hawks game, when a lot of the rehab boys are expecting to have a run around (Goldy, Maj, Thommo, etc), that we will get a sense as to where we are at. The best thing from the last 2 praccies was getting a preview of the kids and recruits. All of our 2015 draft contingent (McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner, Mountford) look the real deal. The new kids Larkey, Watson, Zurhaar, and Junker all impressed. Williams and Hrovat are readymade. And the improvement in Wood, Dumont, Durdin, EVW, and Preuss is easy to see. I am expecting a slow start to the season, especially with our injury list, but wouldn't be surprised if we build momentum through the year and finish strongly. All speculation.

Goldstein
Tarrant
Thompson
Brown
Daw
Jacobs
Garner
Simpkin
Anderson
Wright
Gibson

Were all not playing.

How anyone could possibly judge the outcome of a 22 game season based on this is being a bit harsh.

In reality, all we needed to do is replace Wells, Petrie, Firitto, Dal Santo and Harvey.

And with a combination of Higgins, Hrovat, Mountford, Atley, McKay, Marley, Turner & Thomas -----> we did.
And Successfully.

Nielson, Vickers-Willis and Durdin are getting miles in the legs too and noticeably played better after the break.

Don't underestimate how good some of the kids were either, the rookies, JWillo, Souva etc all showed plenty.

Yes Gibbos defence work was sorely missed.

I remember leaving practice matches in the 90's thinking we wouldn't win a game. And this was a practice game before the practice games even begin.

We were always going to be s**t.

Yes Gibbos defence work was sorely missed.

City missed him badly.

He would have been a knightmare match up at full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke is going to get his head smashed in this year, possibly even by an opposition player.

JMac gave him an almighty serve for bombing away from defence too.

"WHAT DID WE JUST DISCUSS LUKE!"

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but I will anyway.

The guys we already knew were good, were good. Higgins, Cunners, W80, JZ, LT.

If Wood stays fit he's going to be one of the breakout stars of he league this year.

Super impressed with Hrovat. Smart and composed with the ball, worked the whole ground.

Marley's disposal was diabolical at times but his defensive work is best-22-worthy.

Ats was ok in the midfield. If they're going to do it they have to persist though, because he's going to have the odd quiet one as he adjusts.

Set shot kicking aside, McKay's ability to generate scoring shots was very encouraging.

Even though he wasn't up against much, Preuss' touch with his tapouts to advantage is super impressive.

While he flashed in and out of the game a bit, I liked Wags' ability to read the play when he was on.

Would have liked to see more than glimpses of what they can do from Hibberd and EVW. Both did a handful of nice things but will need to be more consistently involved to earn a senior game. The good news I guess is that they have both done that pretty well in the VFL.

Durdin was a mixed bag. Looked promising at times, a few real basic stuff-ups too.

Of this year's crop I only noticed Watson, Larkey and Zurhaar. All of them showed a few good things. JWill and Watson were out there but I can't remember much of them. If JWill was wearing 36 then he was ok.

If Wood stays fit he's going to be one of the breakout stars of he league this year.

Super impressed with Hrovat. Smart and composed with the ball, worked the whole ground.

Marley's disposal was diabolical at times but his defensive work is best-22-worthy.

Ats was ok in the midfield. If they're going to do it they have to persist though, because he's going to have the odd quiet one as he adjusts.

Set shot kicking aside, McKay's ability to generate scoring shots was very encouraging.

Even though he wasn't up against much, Preuss' touch with his tapouts to advantage is super impressive.

While he flashed in and out of the game a bit, I liked Wags' ability to read the play when he was on.

Would have liked to see more than glimpses of what they can do from Hibberd and EVW. Both did a handful of nice things but will need to be more consistently involved to earn a senior game. The good news I guess is that they have both done that pretty well in the VFL.

Durdin was a mixed bag. Looked promising at times, a few real basic stuff-ups too.

Of this year's crop I only noticed Watson, Larkey and Zurhaar. All of them showed a few good things. JWill and Watson were out there but I can't remember much of them. If JWill was wearing 36 then he was ok.
Good summary RZ. Agree that Durds, EVW, and Hibberd were slightly underwhelming and was hoping for more. Will likely play all the JLTs so still have time to make their cases.

2017 really is the year of Mason Wood. He looks like he is ready to explode. He has the perfect mix of hunger, ability, physical attributes and confidence. Cannot wait to see him play this year, he is a real light in what looks to be a bit of a dark year on field.

Goldstein
Tarrant
Thompson
Brown
Daw
Jacobs
Garner
Simpkin
Anderson
Wright
Gibson

Were all not playing.

And Successfully.

Yep. Your right. Hard to get much out of intra club practice matches. Good to see Daniel Harris there too. Past players still keen to see how North are going. Hoping for Ben McKay & Mountford to have a good JLT series.

NMFC taking the piss out of fractions.

Imagine how confused the GoTigers fans were this morning when their intra club game consisted of "two 20 minute halves followed by a ten minute quarter to finish", according to Ash Brown via SEN.

This is exactly as I saw things as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back