Society/Culture Kate Ellis - Minister for woo hoo !!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

With only two photo-clues, can anybody name me the Seinfeld episode?

841457-dtstory-kate-ellis.jpg

midwinter2-600x400.jpg

The one about man hands?

For those unfamiliar with Our Kate, here are some background notes:

Kate spent 7 years at Flinders University, but failed to gain the Arts degree for which she was enrolled. She had however, joined the powerful 'Shoppies' - the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees' Association during a stint as a checkout chick at a supermarket. The Shoppies or SDA is the dominant right-wing union in South Australia and had been run for decades by Don Farrell in SA.

Kate maintained her connection with the SDA and became General Secretary of the Flinders student union. She was an excellent choice for grooming through student politics by the SDA - an attractive figurehead who does what she is told.

Finally leaving university, Kate was cycled through a few offices of the SDA's state and federal parliamentary members, including SA Treasurer Kevin Foley. Kate claimed in her election material to have worked in Canberra 'advising Ministers on matters of international trade'.

When the preselected SDA candidate for the seat of Adelaide industrial lawyer Tim Stanley withdrew from the 2004 election at the last minute 'for family reasons' Don Farrell decided on Kate Ellis as his replacement. A factor in the decision was the poor health of the long-term Liberal member for Adelaide, Trish Worth, who was recuperating on the Gold Coast from cancer, but who, in the normal Liberal fashion had nevertheless held on to her preselection.

Kate was able to state repeatedly during her campaign Farrell's line that 'While she was young and healthy, she would certainly not be using that against the older, sitting Liberal member who was recovering from cancer on the Gold Coast, and to whom Kate extended her very best wishes'.

Don Farrell holds a very powerful position in ALP politics. Here's an item from the Adelaide Advertiser February 28, 2007:

Labor Senator Linda Kirk told The Advertiser that Mr Farrell's influence was "absolute" in deciding who would be preselected by the party's Right wing.

She said this extended to a Right powerbroker pressuring her to resign from the Senate when Mr Farrell's wife, Nimfa, resigned in mid-2003 from a job in Senator Kirk's office.

Asked the extent of Mr Farrell's influence, Senator Kirk said: "Over the Right wing members, it's absolute."

She went on to say this referred to Mr Farrell's control of "your career, whether or not you're here (in Parliament) or not here".

"He really hand picks everybody and I was a beneficiary of that, there's no doubt about that," she said.

Linda Kirk duly lost preselection and was replaced on the Senate ticket by Don Farrell, who now sits in the federal upper house.

Back to Kate. She won the seat in the October 2004 federal election, thanking Don Farrell effusively in her maiden speech.

Kate's arrival in Canberra was marked by her reported late night dalliance in a bar with Mark Latham. Kate was allegedly 'rescued' by Julia Gillard. Kate is a hearty woman, a former netball Goal Attack, who has a reputation for enjoying an ale or three. She was banned from a hotel in Tanunda, SA - and may still be.

Kate's elevation to the outer ministry came after she had, to her credit, held her seat in the 2007 election.

Her performance as minister is not easy to judge. She says and does the right and expected things, almost to the point of cliché. She is the perfect mouthpiece for party policy, which she recites in response to most questions, accompanied by her ready smile.

Kate has been criticised for lacking depth, yet she adequately performs her job of jetting about the nation and the world, being photographed with VIPs and dishing out money to sports administrators, kindergartens and primary schools. Her limited qualifications both academic and in life experience are well up to this. Whether she is worth a couple of hundred thou a year is another matter, but she doesn't set the ministerial pay.

As for physical assets, Kate is certainly well-endowed. She didn't have a choice in that either.

Fate has also placed her at the just the right place at the right time, politically speaking. As Dylan sang in 'Idiot Wind' - 'I can't help it if I'm lucky...'.

If the Liberals have any sense (and that's not a given), they'll run a quality candidate against her this year, one who can counteract the youthful vitality and largesse with taxpayer's cash that together insure Kate's chances.

Who knows, the Libs might get lucky too.

BTW, Blackcat, Kate doesn't sit behind the PM in line with the camera. As a minister, she sits at the junior end of the front bench, out of range of the usual camera shot.

Tim Stanley QC could buy and sell her intellectually fifty times over. Why the hell did'nt they pre-select him?

If he's a lawyer from Adelaide...don't bet on it

I had a case against him last year. He is smart and as smooth as a baby's bum. Smart, good bloke, TV friendly, good politics - of course he is not the sort of guy that should be pre-selected.

I had a case against him last year. He is smart and as smooth as a baby's bum. Smart, good bloke, TV friendly, good politics - of course he is not the sort of guy that should be pre-selected.

He probably makes 10x a ministers wage, why would he bother ;)

In regard to high heels, i think it's a condition of employment for the lads at Minter Ellison

Re Kate's staff turnover - I'd say Hawkamania! is pretty much on the money. Add to this the SDA's penchant for cycling its apparatchiks through friendly political offices to gain experience and contacts (and to keep the income up) and there's your answer. The SDA's Mia Handshin, for example, was seconded to Kate's office. Michael McGiure, currently an Advertiser journalist but formerly a media spokesman for SDA man Kevin Foley was sent to Kate's office to improve her media output. Current SDA federal MP Nick Champion who won the safe ALP seat of Wakefield at the 2007 election is another SDA cyclee of Kate's office. She gets plenty of help. At her kerbside meetings, she has been shielded from difficult questions by the SDA's SA MP John Rau, the member for Enfield, the next seat north of the city.

As to Tim Stanley, there's not much that should be said of lawyers, even on a forum like this. Family reasons can encompass the concerns of a spouse at a partner's absences in Canberra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the fatigue

The workload in political offices varies greatly from time to time in any one office and between offices.

Some offices - eg that of a minor opposition member of a state upper house - are sleepy hollow except at election time. Remember that all staff are paid at the same rates regardless of whose office they're in.

Other offices, say that of a state or federal minister with a domestically focussed portfolio, can be genuinely busy, with only travel or functions such as launches, lunches, dinners etc to give relief.

Of course, all staff will say they work like dogs.

In addition to the work of the office, most staffers spend time on progressing their own careers. An irony is that staying in sleepy hollow is not usually a good career move. You need to be right hand man or woman to a minister under pressure to make an impact and be noticed - and achieve the Holy Grail of pre-selection...

All that said, it's not really much of a job for most people. The workplace can get fairly toxic, and you never know who your friends are. Some staffers use this aspect as a justification for the many perks and junkets available.

In all, I'd say that other than settling into an obscure position with a minor MP in a safe seat, and going nowhere from there, the job of a political staffer suits only a certain type, and not because of any high workload.

Trust me, I know.

I can't believe the uproar over this. Who cares if she does a photo shoot? I'm sick of ugly people telling good looking people that they are doing bad things by showing off their bodies, it happens to me all the time. FFS, get over it people. She is promoting good body image as far as I'm concerned. So what, she has a great body, is that illegal now...should we all aspire to be fat and ugly!!! She looks fit and healthy...that's what we should be aspiring to. She obviously looks after herself.
I,ve got a crush on another labor poli now. She's been on Q&A a couple of times .I think her name is Plebasec, I'm not sure, maybe Tania is her first name she's a darling. She's also a good, smart woman. But I still have a soft spot for that lovely brunette that used to sit behind the chair that the PM speaks from. Sometimes I think she was about to drop of to sleep. I think she's the girl from Tassie. I like the lady from the abc who gave Johnie the flick too . Oh crikey I just like all them labor sheilas..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back