AFLW Katie Brennan is our Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

1580796079172.png

Katie Brennan becomes Richmond's inaugural AFLW captain

By richmondfc.com.au - Just now ago
brennan_1024.jpg

On the eve of Richmond’s first AFLW season, the Club is proud to announce that Katie Brennan will captain Richmond’s inaugural AFLW team.

A star of the AFLW competition since its inception in 2017, and one of the league’s original marquee signings, Brennan, 27, will lead Richmond’s first ever AFLW team in season 2020.

The midfielder-forward was Richmond’s first AFLW signing in April last year after previously captaining the Bulldog’s AFLW team from 2017-2019, where she played 13 games and kicked 15 goals across three seasons.

Supporting Brennan and the team in leadership roles is Christina Bernardi (vice captain), and Lauren Tesoriero and Phoebe Monahan (deputy vice captains).

The trio are all experienced AFLW campaigners with Bernardi playing for Collingwood (2017-18) and GWS GIANTS in 2019 for a total of 20 games, Tesoriero played 11 games for Collingwood from 2017-18, and Monahan spent two seasons (10 games) with the GIANTS from 2018-19.
Brennan, who was voted in by her peers, said it was a "privilege" to be a part of such a well-rounded leadership group.
"I think we represent the girls really well across the board, we're all slightly different," Brennan said
"'Pheebs' is the standard-setter at the club, she prepares incredibly well, she leads with her actions out there and she will represent us in the backline."
"Lauren is incredible, not only has she formed this group and brought everyone together, she's also someone that makes this team and this place feel like more than a football club, it's more like a family."
"'Benno', she's an incredible person...she's amazing at bringing the girls together and really representing our group. She challenges the girls but she also inspires them."
AFLW-Captains.jpg

Richmond’s Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan said the Club is fortunate to have leaders such as Brennan, Bernardi, Tesoriero and Monahan at the Club.

“We knew that Katie would have a positive impact on our group of players when she arrived at our Club almost a year ago,” Sheahan said.

“It’s wonderful to be able to announce her as our first ever AFLW captain. She has great leadership qualities and elite training standards, which helps to drive our playing group.

“We’re also rapt for Christina, Lauren and Phoebe to support and lead our group, they’re all outstanding young women.

“Announcing our captain and leaders brings us a step closer to starting our AFLW season, which is incredibly exciting for our Club, and we can’t wait to run out in front of our fans for the season opener on February 7.”

Richmond opens the 2020 AFLW season against Carlton at IKON Park on Friday, February 7.
To support Richmond’s inaugural AFLW team, become a Richmond AFLW member today,

Last edited:

Congratulations to Katie and the rest of the leadership group.

I’m not surprised that Katie is our captain, but she’s definitely a good choice, she’ll lead from the front and I can’t wait to see what these ladies do this year! :)

Wow not only did we recruit our list manager, we made her DVC. ACL tendons are so 2019! :p

Seriously though, its a great leadership group. Christina has slipped under the radar a bit as the spotlight has been on Brennan, Conti, and Frederick but her addition to our list is significant. Heard others speak highly of her and as soon as I saw her pull on a Tiger jumper for a few games during our 2018 VFLW season I was hoping she would be a recruiting target.

Last edited:
What do people think about us turning Brennan into a midfielder? I am a bit skeptical about this move to be honest as I only saw her as a forward. If it pays off then it would be amazing as we'd have a tall big-bodied midfielder right there, but if I'd put her anywhere outside of the forward line then it would be our defence because it lacks maturity at the moment IMO.

What do people think about us turning Brennan into a midfielder? I am a bit skeptical about this move to be honest as I only saw her as a forward. If it pays off then it would be amazing as we'd have a tall big-bodied midfielder right there, but if I'd put her anywhere outside of the forward line then it would be our defence because it lacks maturity at the moment IMO.

I think it's a great move, she's one of the smartest players going around
You want players like her around the ball all the times, anyways we have Frederick and Wakefield as our key forwards
As the season goes Brennan will get better and better, need her getting it into our forward line

I think it's a great move, she's one of the smartest players going around
You want players like her around the ball all the times, anyways we have Frederick and Wakefield as our key forwards
As the season goes Brennan will get better and better, need her getting it into our forward line
Yeah she is not only clever, but strong too. I can’t wait for some Conti2Brennan action in the midfield

If she has improved her tank to be a midfielder at AFLW level then it will be a brilliant move. Don’t worry about scoring goals, she’ll still get in positions to kick some goals. Think back to when Matthew Richardson moved up to a wing and still floated forward often kicking multiple goals. I can see a similar thing with Katie. Very smart footballer with amazing skills. One of the few players who is within range from 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FEBRUARY 4 2020 - 1:51PM
Tigers' Brennan primed for AFLW opener
  • Anna Harrington
Star Richmond recruit Katie Brennan is excited to play the AFLW season opener for the first time.

Star Richmond recruit Katie Brennan is excited to play the AFLW season opener for the first time.

Richmond will enter their maiden AFLW season with the weight of expectation on their shoulders but captain Katie Brennan is confident the newcomers can stamp their authority on the competition.
The Tigers will kick off the season against Carlton at Ikon Park on Friday night and former Western Bulldogs star Brennan said she was relishing featuring in the season opener for the first time.

"It's been something that I've looked on in a bit of envy in a sense," Brennan told AAP.
"The first game I just remember being in tears of pride and just being so excited for all the girls running out there, that it was finally possible - we were playing for premiership points in AFLW gear.

"It's something that I've really aspired towards but I've loved watching along the way.
"I'm genuinely so excited and all you want to do is just play footy at this time of year."
After two AFL premierships and a VFL flag in three years, Richmond fans have become accustomed to success but may have to be patient with their AFLW team.
"We certainly want to be really competitive," Brennan said.
"I think every team that comes into the competition wants a genuine shot at winning a premiership.
"But for us it's really about playing our way and I think we'd probably be disappointed if we won games and we weren't playing the style of football we want to play, and I think it'll take a bit of time."
Brennan's time at the Bulldogs was marred by injuries and a grand final suspension, with the forward finding herself falling out of love with the game.
Now fit and ready to fire, the 27-year-old is reinvigorated leading into her fourth campaign.
"I think my big focus over the pre-season was just getting the love for the game back and once you are loving the game you end up playing better footy in a sense," Brennan said.
"I've been really lucky to be able to move up the ground a little bit and have some midfield time and get around the football, and I think that certainly helps the headspace.

"Learning a new position, bringing my forward craft up around the football and working on heaps of different aspects of my game, it's just refreshed my love for the game and refreshed the challenge of getting back to playing some good footy."

AFLW Pocket Profile: Katie Brennan
Get to know a little more about Richmond's AFLW skipper Katie Brennan...
By richmondfc.com.au
brennan_1024.jpg

Guernsey number: 3
Position: Midfielder/forward
Height: 174cm
D.O.B.: 02/10/1992
Nickname: KB
Instagram handle: @_katiebrennan
Local club: Darebin
Club supported growing up: Brisbane
Hidden talent: I can do the forward worm
Favourite pre-game meal: Big banana, berry and protein smoothie with oats
Favourite holiday destination: Byron Bay
Most-used app: Whatsapp
Cats or dogs: Dogs
Favourite type of kick: Barrel
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Brighter - RUFUS
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Nat Fyfe because he’s a jet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back