News Kavanagh, Colyer back for Bendigo

Remove this Banner Ad

According to saladin Kav played three quaters, put his head over the ball, laid a few tackles but generally looked a bit rusty.

Photographs of the boy show that he is paper thin - a long way to go before he is tearing it up at AFL level.

I cannot remember if I've said it here but given his year last year was a write off and he has been plagued by hammy issues I'd be happier for him to play twos all year if he is playing 4 quarters and building the body/engine to play at AFL level rather than have stints as a sub and only play a quarter here and there. Obviously you'd reconsider in the event that he starts consistently dominating at VFL level.

He could go into next year with a 18 months of AFL conditioning (i.e. weaponising) under his belt. I think it could be more beneficial to put him back together properly out of the AFL spotlight.

No need for that Kong.

Just think of it like the Daniher situation. Rather than Kav only being part time he will be conditioning himself properly on a full time basis. Daniher has played 2 games in the last 18 months and it doesn't seem to be bothering too many.

Kav will not be part of any under resourced or outdated strength and conditioning department either (like other prennially injured players were).

I have a really good feeling about it for some strange reason (funny how we delude ourselves when it comes to certain players). I'm expecting for him to have a Heppell-like 2013.

In fairness to the club they made the circumstances under which they drafted him clear from the word go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has nothing to do with him being injured, FWIW.

Just a gut feel based on the very, very limited amount of footage I've seen.

Your just not getting your hopes up that we dont have the best player in the comp from our first pick who wins Brownlows and single handedly wins games off there own boot? When he does, you'll eat your words old boy :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back