Player Watch Kayle Kirby (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

With something in the same ballpark with Dylan Roberton, maybe the AFL could allow all such players, also to include players with serious illness to be allowed free passage to the rookie list at the clubs discretion.

Wish all players like Kayle best of recovery and health,

Doubt another club would Rookie someone with that Situation

Could understandable psychological issues be at play for Kirby also because of the incident?

I would have assumed when it comes to a heart problem either surgery or medication is required to rectify it and rest only plays a small part in recovery so the outcome positive or negative would be known sooner than 3 months.

Sounds like the doctors aren't overly confident they know what the exact problem is or how it will respond to any treatment.

All the best to Kayle but sadly I'm not filled with much hope we'll see him again.:(

Just hope his he gets well and is looked after. A terrible scare, and would be sobering for all. Lots of thoughts, and of course those all important Kirby hugs :)

Given his struggle to get his fitness up to the required levels, I wonder if his heart problem was a result of pushing himself beyond his limits. Perhaps not all body types can cope with the demands of AFL footy

Given the similar timeframe I assume he's undergoing the same testing as Roberton

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...ts-roberton-amid-ongoing-heart-rhythm/9723144
Dylan said further testing and monitoring, which has involved a device being implanted in his chest, would take about three months.

"[It's] sort of like the size of a battery, just in my chest. It just feeds in what my heart is doing to the doctors and all their computers so they'll be able to pick up what's happening," he said.

"With the testing, they'll be able to put all that information together and make a decision going forward."

Given his struggle to get his fitness up to the required levels, I wonder if his heart problem was a result of pushing himself beyond his limits. Perhaps not all body types can cope with the demands of AFL footy

With most of these cases, it's a pre-existing issue with the heart that comes to the fore. May eventually have surfaced irrespective of whether he played footy or not.

Hopefully it's something they can identify and fix for his longer term health. Be nice to get him back playing footy but that's a secondary consideration.

With most of these cases, it's a pre-existing issue with the heart that comes to the fore. May eventually have surfaced irrespective of whether he played footy or not.

Hopefully it's something they can identify and fix for his longer term health. Be nice to get him back playing footy but that's a secondary consideration.

Maybe. But I've been wondering when a player is going to have a heart attack during a game for a couple of years now. I've felt with players getting pushed harder and harder every year it's only a matter of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe. But I've been wondering when a player is going to have a heart attack during a game for a couple of years now. I've felt with players getting pushed harder and harder every year it's only a matter of time.
why do you say they're getting pushed harder?

His health is the priority not football. He's never been fit and how he has a bad ticker so I hope the club pays him out and uses the list spot on someone who takes things more seriously.
Guessing you would have delisted Swan too who admitted as much due to his party lifestyle. While Kirby was recruited with fitness issues and returned from Christmas 2016 unfit there's nothing to suggest he didn't take his footy seriously during the season proper. He looked pretty trim at the VFL yesterday too, which suggests he's remained focused even with a months lay off while a unknown heart issue is being diagnosed. I hope we stick by him because he's got talent in spades combined with chasing and tackling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back