Player Watch Kayle Kirby (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

My mate was at Barrells, the Swan Hill night club, and on his Snapchat Story, Kirbs was dancing. Not sure what to take out of that
It's part of the plan to vary their pre-season routine.
The impressive part for me is Kirbs has started early.

I think kirby will make it if he works hard. He is in a good position having ability and needing fitness is better than having fitness and lacking ability. A couple of noteable players who had fitness issues at the start of their career are dayne beams and tom rockliff. Theres also been heavy players play afl a few that come to mind are dean rioli, byron pickett, stuart dew and even dane swan. So it can be done as long as the player commits and from what ive seen kirby is doing the right things.

I must say that I do share some of jmac70 concerns.
Personally I was surprised that by the end of the footy season he was still carrying quite a few kilos.
I am no expert about diets and training but I am also not ignorant about the topic either. I do know that if you consider the amount of calories a professional athlete burns per day then the only reason he would still be carrying kilos by the end of the year is that he is not following what the nutritionists are telling him.
With their training loads losing half a kg a week would be a piece of piss. That equates to 500 calories per day.
Yet by the end of the season he was still visibly carrying quite a few excess kg.

I look forward to seeing how he presents himself at the beginning of the pre season. I think it will tell us a lot.
Hope he is disciplined as he is one player that I am excited about.

I must say that I do share some of jmac70 concerns.
Personally I was surprised that by the end of the footy season he was still carrying quite a few kilos.
I am no expert about diets and training but I am also not ignorant about the topic either. I do know that if you consider the amount of calories a professional athlete burns per day then the only reason he would still be carrying kilos by the end of the year is that he is not following what the nutritionists are telling him.
With their training loads losing half a kg a week would be a piece of piss. That equates to 500 calories per day.
Yet by the end of the season he was still visibly carrying quite a few excess kg.

I look forward to seeing how he presents himself at the beginning of the pre season. I think it will tell us a lot.
Hope he is disciplined as he is one player that I am excited about.
It's all laid out at his feet if he wants it otto - has the attributes and skills to become a Collingwood legend.
As you say, how he presents himself in the preseason will tell us all about him.

He will spend the majority of next year in the VFL, still has a long way to go to get an AFL standard fitness

I assume you're talking about Kirby.

Not sure that the club can legally break through any genetic ceilings Kirby may have e.g. lack of slow twitch muscle fibres, but 5 months under a well planned strength & conditioning/nutrition program can result in impressive adaptations; especially in young people. There's some low hanging fruit to be picked when it comes Kirby's fitness. :)

The major factor in all that coming to fruition is how much Kirby commits to it.

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about Kirby.

Not sure that the club can legally break through any genetic ceilings Kirby may have e.g. lack of slow twitch muscle fibres, but 5 months under a well planned strength & conditioning/nutrition program can result in impressive adaptations; especially in young people. There's some low hanging fruit to be picked when it comes Kirby's fitness. :)

The major factor in all that coming to fruition is how much Kirby commits to it.

Yes you can improve lots in an off season, but if you're really far behind it can take 2-3 years to get AFL required fitness. We saw at the end of 2017 he's a long way away, 1 preseason isn't going to magically change that.. it's a long process.

And this is on the assumption that he commits really hard to it, instead of coming back fat like he did last year from his christmas break.

Yes you can improve lots in an off season, but if you're really far behind it can take 2-3 years to get AFL required fitness. We saw at the end of 2017 he's a long way away, 1 preseason isn't going to magically change that.. it's a long process.

And this is on the assumption that he commits really hard to it, instead of coming back fat like he did last year from his christmas break.
Agreed.

He has 1 year under his belt already. Adaptations don't arrive in a steady manner. I'd expect his repeat efforts to be much better by mid season. He won't be an endurance beast anytime soon but I'd argue that it's a bonus if it happens. It's not what we need of him.

On Pixel XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are having weight and discipline problems at 18 then the prospects are bleak, but his talent is so prodigious you roll the dice

I hope he's having a big preseason. The only thing stopping him is his fitness. Get that sorted and he'll explode this year.
The way he came back to preseason last year looked like he was going to explode.

Would have taken months for clean up crew to clean up the meat pie and beer covered crater at the Holden Centre.
4e8fc397fb7d9d913be85d42c39c27c4.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

If you are having weight and discipline problems at 18 then the prospects are bleak, but his talent is so prodigious you roll the dice

Once upon a time, some ill-discipline was seen as a sign of spirit rather than a malignant force to be quarantined or crushed. Happier days long gone, perhaps, but in any case I don't think that the disciplinary issues of an 18 year-old need to be frowned upon too much.

The point is that AFL football is a learning curve, and Kirby has been learning just fine. His issues when he came to the club last season are documented, but he then went on to surprise many by leading the VFL goal kicking coming into the final round. He puffed through an AFL debut, but the fact of that debut was an achievement and a recognition for hard work. I feel confident that the Kirbs will continue to exceed some people's expectations, and that he'll be more footy-ready next season than he was for this one.

Once upon a time, some ill-discipline was seen as a sign of spirit rather than a malignant force to be quarantined or crushed. Happier days long gone, perhaps, but in any case I don't think that the disciplinary issues of an 18 year-old need to be frowned upon too much.
It's a billion dollar business and it doesn't matter if it's an 18 year old or Daniel Wells turning up less than cherry ripe, no free lunches

Kirby's entire career could come down to how he presents for his first training session of his second season.

Even if he turns up in the best shape of his life it's no guarantee of course but, the dream continues.

If he turns up looking like he ate all the pies and drank all the kegs then he might just get his papers handed to him right there and then.

Remember when we had a very talented WA kid named Shannon Cox playing for us around the time Tooves and Dick started their careers, the three of them played a very famous debut game for us all together around a decade ago. Serious talent, could've been anything, just too lazy, buy his own admission he used to love to get on the gas and the turtle meat during the off season and was politely and firmly asked to 'retire' after turning up for what would be his last pre-season (2009/2010) in absolutely shocking condition. Word then was that Bux, as new assistant coach was absolutely appalled and refused to believe anyone could be serious about their football turning up looking that out of shape.

Kirby's entire career could come down to how he presents for his first training session of his second season.

Even if he turns up in the best shape of his life it's no guarantee of course but, the dream continues.

If he turns up looking like he ate all the pies and drank all the kegs then he might just get his papers handed to him right there and then.

Remember when we had a very talented WA kid named Shannon Cox playing for us around the time Tooves and Dick started their careers, the three of them played a very famous debut game for us all together around a decade ago. Serious talent, could've been anything, just too lazy, buy his own admission he used to love to get on the gas and the turtle meat during the off season and was politely and firmly asked to 'retire' after turning up for what would be his last pre-season (2009/2010) in absolutely shocking condition. Word then was that Bux, as new assistant coach was absolutely appalled and refused to believe anyone could be serious about their football turning up looking that out of shape.

Cox has been in the news for some other issues since being out of the game, so not sure if that was also happening/started whilst at the club which wouldve hampered his development.

With Kirby its obviously a learning curve - and one that will be long and arduous... which is exactly why he fell so far in the draft.
I dont expect miracles, or him to show up looking like Bucks, but just to continue to positive trajectory that we saw this season.

Im hoping that playing Rd 23 was a great learning experience for him: 1. That Bucks and the coaching panel see a future for him, and rewarded him for his VFL season and all the work hes put in, but also 2. That he still has a long way to go.

I am quietly confident of his AFL future but its gonna take time. Hopefully in 2018 he can play a handful of AFL games, kick a few goals, and lay some crunching tackles - i don't expect any more than that at this stage.

Cox has been in the news for some other issues since being out of the game, so not sure if that was also happening/started whilst at the club which wouldve hampered his development.

With Kirby its obviously a learning curve - and one that will be long and arduous... which is exactly why he fell so far in the draft.
I dont expect miracles, or him to show up looking like Bucks, but just to continue to positive trajectory that we saw this season.

Im hoping that playing Rd 23 was a great learning experience for him: 1. That Bucks and the coaching panel see a future for him, and rewarded him for his VFL season and all the work hes put in, but also 2. That he still has a long way to go.

I am quietly confident of his AFL future but its gonna take time. Hopefully in 2018 he can play a handful of AFL games, kick a few goals, and lay some crunching tackles - i don't expect any more than that at this stage.
That is the logical outcome but an unexpected upsurge even whilst carrying some weight isn't out of the question, wouldn't be the first player to do so.
You can be match fit whilst still not having acceptable skin folds no matter what the no nothing fitness 'experts' say.

Why do you think Balmey really left?

And look how that turned out: the man took his expansive appetite to Tigerland and won them the ultimate. The occasional free feed/smorgasbord/cheese platter does wonders for organisational morale.

And look how that turned out: the man took his expansive appetite to Tigerland and won them the ultimate. The occasional free feed/smorgasbord/cheese platter does wonders for organisational morale.
Geelong must have fed him too.

Good footy man and even better appetite:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back