Kayne and able..........;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Screw Jeffrey Archer........arden street should start a new version of this title asap ....starting this friday night, its a perfect time to unleash the lad Kayne Turner as we need an extra person who has some toe to do a number on Hill..... make it happen selection committee, this wednesday/thursday night. We all know he'll have that mongrel that will embarrass those more seasoned than him.

You know I'm not so sure. It's not like he's a 15 year old who's never played against bigger stronger players. What's the difference between Turner and Billy Hartung? Not a lot in terms of weight or age. To me the biggest difference is that we'd be asking Turner to play an important role, whereas Hartung just has to come in, run, be an option, and then run some more. If we want Turner to come in, harass, tackle, and kick goals, it's a different ask.

But really, why not? He's not made of porcelain. Young players come in all the time in every sport. The best ones make a difference right away.

Also, for one game, why not? We played a great game against Hawthorn last year at the MCG with a healthy list and still lost. We know what we're gonna get when we're at our best...and based on last year's results...it still wasn't good enough to win. We also know what we're getting now...and it isn't enough to beat Brisbane on the road.

So if you have a culture problem where guys aren't playing for each other, or with enough desperation or intensity....why exactly wouldn't you shake things up by brining in a young and aggressive player? He's too young to know that he probably shouldn't be playing. But I don't think he'll be scared. He took right up to Schoenmakers when Werribee played Box Hill earlier this year. And by that I mean Turner got in his face and did not take a backward step.

You know I'm not so sure. It's not like he's a 15 year old who's never played against bigger stronger players. What's the difference between Turner and Billy Hartung? Not a lot in terms of weight or age. To me the biggest difference is that we'd be asking Turner to play an important role, whereas Hartung just has to come in, run, be an option, and then run some more. If we want Turner to come in, harass, tackle, and kick goals, it's a different ask.

But really, why not? He's not made of porcelain. Young players come in all the time in every sport. The best ones make a difference right away.

Also, for one game, why not? We played a great game against Hawthorn last year at the MCG with a healthy list and still lost. We know what we're gonna get when we're at our best...and based on last year's results...it still wasn't good enough to win. We also know what we're getting now...and it isn't enough to beat Brisbane on the road.

So if you have a culture problem where guys aren't playing for each other, or with enough desperation or intensity....why exactly wouldn't you shake things up by brining in a young and aggressive player? He's too young to know that he probably shouldn't be playing. But I don't think he'll be scared. He took right up to Schoenmakers when Werribee played Box Hill earlier this year. And by that I mean Turner got in his face and did not take a backward step.

For me it is not so much that I don't think he could, it is more I don't think we will.

Despite not being ready physically, he still needs to get more consistent in the VFL.

Had a couple of good games and showed a lot, but give him the rest of the year and another AFL pre-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So most of you are saying cuddle them til they fill out with a mature body and hope he doesnt break a finger nail......lets see how thats work.
Mckenzie.........stagnated. Whilst a type like Max Warren who really hasnt shown that much gets a game because we need to see what he has to offer at AFL level. This kid has mongrel, our team needs it and and if its not possible to rest after 2 or 3 games until we have more players available.

The scary thing is that so many on here have taken to him and are demanding him as an inclusion, but the majority of posters I've seen are the same kind that will turn as soon as he gets towelled up in his first game and doesn't get a touch (not saying that would happen but if it did).

Can't just play him for the sake of it.

Ridiculous to think he will be included.
Don't get me wrong the kid will be a very good player as I have seen him live about 6 times. He has the courage of ARCHER and I never thought I would ever compare anyone to Archer but unfortunately he needs to put some weight/muscle on or he will get killed. He will attack any contest and put his body on the line without fear and that will be his undoing if we play him when he is physically not ready.
Be patient, I'm sure he will get a crack at it next year.

Youngest player in the league, coming off a 5 day break, to play the regining premiers, on prime time TV.

Im all aboard the Kayno bandwagon but id think this week is unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the kid, and think in time he may be a very good player.

But he need time to learn the game at the top level, in the good old days guys would get time in the twos to let them develop, as good as he was pre season he was still a young kid.

So he's got a considerably lower BMI than a guy who is on the border of being too lightly built to play. Not very convincing Ozzy!
We're not travelling too well..... but if he did he wouldn't be the smallest lightest to debut. Put him on Hill.....see what happens.
We need a spark Im positive this kid can put the fire back in our teams belly.

Imagine he plays, and they drop Bastinac and or Adams in the process.........its what isn't said, (not exactly about Kayne) that rightens the ships of Basti and Patch.

Not many would give us an ounce of hope to win this one.........I'd bring in those who are close and drop those who are sorely out of form to go back to the VFL and see what transpires....those who want to put their hands up will play well in both leagues.

Last edited:
May as well give Wallace and Wilkins a game while we're at it. Shit, play Tom Curran on one foot as well.

Daz, your input is noted....keep fronting up and watching the crud our best 22 atm are serving up.

The guy is averaging 12 touches a game in the 2's. Let's not pretend he's a particularly damaging player with ball in hand, either.

He's also not yet physically capable of playing VFL footy week in week out.

He's fearless, I love that. But he's not even close to AFL standard yet.

Its a lot what he offers outside from football......intangible stuff like 1st game energy and enthusiasm..........rotating door isn't going to work here. Its slaps those who get dropped in the face even if it means we get walloped.........the burners need to be fired up to all who aren't pulling their weight and there's many atm.

Its a lot what he offers outside from football......intangible stuff like 1st game energy and enthusiasm..........rotating door isn't going to work here. Its slaps those who get dropped in the face even if it means we get walloped.........the burners need to be fired up to all who aren't pulling their weight and there's many atm.

While it's great that he offers a lot off the football field, maybe wait unit he can offer something decent ON the field before adding him to the team :p

Pros:
Send a message to the team
Always nice seeing a kid debut
Kid has attitude, that we lack on field

Negatives
He's physically underdeveloped
Coming off a 5 day break
Realistically, he is unlikely, given his from at VFL level, to contribute enough to the team in a big game (his VFL form is good for a kid still in school, but not for a VFL player looking to get a debut)
As it is they're resting him every few weeks at VFL level, just to get him through the year.
If he gets hip and shouldered he'll end up 4 rows back.
Drew will just end up stepping on him and putting him on the injury list for 3 years anyway.

hey Dev, I dunno if you've not noticed but the cupboard is bare mate........and this lad has offered some form worthy to have an opportunity, more so than Warren last week.

So most of you are saying cuddle them til they fill out with a mature body and hope he doesnt break a finger nail......lets see how thats work.
Mckenzie.........stagnated. Whilst a type like Max Warren who really hasnt shown that much gets a game because we need to see what he has to offer at AFL level. This kid has mongrel, our team needs it and and if its not possible to rest after 2 or 3 games until we have more players available.

He makes a pretty good point here

May as well give Wallace and Wilkins a game while we're at it. Shit, play Tom Curran on one foot as well.

I would not be opposed to this at some point this season.

Big bloke with some physicality.

hey Dev, I dunno if you've not noticed but the cupboard is bare mate........and this lad has offered some form worthy to have an opportunity, more so than Warren last week.

That is so unfair on Max Warren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back