Kayo, Foxtel Now & Optus Sport Subcription Numbers

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton
Kayo

Optus has revealed that its Optus Sport subscription numbers have reached 700,000 after Optus Sport enjoyed its most successful season ever across 2018-19 and broke many customer engagement and viewing records.

Optus has also announced it is introducing a $10 Optus Sport Add On* for Optus prepaid mobile customers. This new offer provides Optus’ large prepaid mobile customer base with access to the premium content available on Optus Sport for up to 28 days. This offer, alongside Optus’ extended football rights including the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Euro 2020 Championships and the Premier League, is expected to drive continued strong customer growth.

Media Release: Premier League Returns Exclusively Live To Optus Sport With A 5G World-First

Foxtel

As of June 30, 2019, Foxtel’s total closing subscribers were 3.144 million, which was 12% higher than the prior year, primarily due to the launch of Kayo, subscriber growth at Foxtel Now and the inclusion of commercial subscribers of Fox Sports Australia beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2019, partially offset by lower broadcast subscribers.

Approximately 2.4 million of the total closing subscribers were broadcast and commercial subscribers, and the remainder consisted of Foxtel Now and Kayo subscribers. Following its launch in November 2018, Kayo grew over 8 months to reach 382,000 subscribers, of which around 331,000 were paying subscribers as of June 30, 2019.

Foxtel Now totalled 460,000 subscribers as of June 30, 2019, of which approximately 446,000 were paying subscribers, up 32% compared to the prior year.

NWS ASX Announcement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kaypee

All Australian
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls
Reads like the switch from cable/satellite to streaming will reduce their revenue per customer, which might make the model more sustainable.
Also reads like fox etc have lost control of broadcast infrastructure, which means why is it even necessary? Kayo is just a rebranding of fox, but totally redundant. Sports can directly stream and tell third party providers to take a hike - or cough up.
Not sure what that means. Ideally the revolting back scratching that goes on between media companies and sports reduces and the spivs get banished. Wishful thinking no doubt.....

Messenger

No, I’m just disappointed
Jun 16, 2007
Nearby
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Also reads like fox etc have lost control of broadcast infrastructure, which means why is it even necessary? Kayo is just a rebranding of fox, but totally redundant. Sports can directly stream and tell third party providers to take a hike - or cough up.
Not sure what that means. Ideally the revolting back scratching that goes on between media companies and sports reduces and the spivs get banished. Wishful thinking no doubt.....
Interestingly you can still buy a sports package on Foxtel Now.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Not sure you can read a lot into Optus' subscription numbers as they give them away with Optus mobile contracts. I'm an Optus sport "subscriber" but I haven't actually watched it yet. I might watch a bit of EPL if I can chromecast it.
Apparently they only counted active subscribers. If they counted all Optus contracts with Optus sports, it would be in the millions.

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Apparently they only counted active subscribers. If they counted all Optus contracts with Optus sports, it would be in the millions.
To subscribe, they sent me an email telling me to click once and create a password, and I had to download the app. Technically it's not automatic for that reason, but i'd expect there would be a lot of subscribers that wouldn't watch much.

It's certainly not comparable to a paid Kayo subscription.

Gigantor

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
On top of what Rob has expressed above, the other thing I noticed about the "numbers" optus made public is that at no point are you able to make a like for like comparison re the ratings they get, as we measure them in TV land.

They'd have the data of course, but my guess is that it would look woeful compared to what SBS was getting last season (they've since lost that game).

Top Bottom