Moved Thread Kayo Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, the only reason I considered Kayo was because I have pretty awesome cable internet and unlimited data, so I thought I might aswell put it to use. Streaming HD content probably isn't ideal if you don't have decent internet or don't have unlimited data so it's something else for folks to consider.

At least with monthly payments and no long-term contract, you can get out if things don't work out. I too am happy with my current cable service and have some concern about sub-par internet being forced upon me when the NBN arrives next month.

If you have, say, three devices streaming the same Kayo channel on the same Kayo account, does it require triple the bandwidth? Or is it a single stream which the router then multicasts to the three devices?

Last edited:
Went looking for a telstra Tv2 but the quality on the one in the telstra shop wasn’t as good either. Apple TV is good though. Funny thing I streamed via air server from kayo app on iPhone 6s. Very good. I switched off wifi and 4g on my phone and the air server is still streaming 20 mins later. This is recorded so know idea if it’s just lagging

My broadband is fairly good btw

Edit. Maybe the telstra tv in the shop was badly set up. Can’t believe it could run 4k

I use Kayo via Telstra TV2 and have to admit the picture has well exceeded my expectations. Cannot fault the HD clarity.

I'm sure it's just a streaming thing, but it takes about 10 seconds from when the stream first commences to clear up. Initially, the picture is abit hazy (like watching non-HD footy on foxtel).

As a side note, I have also used Kayo on a Telstra TV Gen 1 and found the HD stream to be just as impressive. There's plenty of peple selling this model on FB marketplace for around $60...

I use Kayo via Telstra TV2 and have to admit the picture has well exceeded my expectations. Cannot fault the HD clarity.

I'm sure it's just a streaming thing, but it takes about 10 seconds from when the stream first commences to clear up. Initially, the picture is abit hazy (like watching non-HD footy on foxtel).

As a side note, I have also used Kayo on a Telstra TV Gen 1 and found the HD stream to be just as impressive. There's plenty of peple selling this model on FB marketplace for around $60...

Maybe when I cast from Ipad/iphone, the buffering is done. I noticed in the shop there was a counter going up to 100% before the picture started streaming

Removal of the ads in replays would be sweet. But apart from that, so far so good. Appears to be way better than AFL app on a kodi media box. Think it's also going to get me hooked on Ice Hockey.

If you have, say, three devices streaming the same Kayo channel on the same Kayo account, does it require triple the bandwidth? Or is it a single stream which the router then multicasts to the three devices?

Haven't quite answered my own question, but have got the cricket running simultaneously on three Apple TV's in different rooms without issue. This is on a steady 57Mbps Telstra cable service. (It's presumably three separate streams, since the audio is slightly out of sync between the three.)

Have to say it doesn't look quite as good on the 55-inch as Foxtel, but that's to be expected given Foxtel is a wired connection and this is wireless. Thought the same thing the first time I watched Kayo on a smaller screen, so perhaps it'll improve once things settle down.

Took a chance at the free trial and it is sooo much better than foxtel now. I tried screencasting it from my samsung s7 but it kept crashing. Hopefully they release an xbox app soon.

I dont have any usb to hdmi adaptors so tonight I am running a rgb cable (lol) fom my laptop to my tv and this looks way better than the bullcrap that foxtel throttles their streaming service down to.

Great value.

Took a chance at the free trial and it is sooo much better than foxtel now. I tried screencasting it from my samsung s7 but it kept crashing. Hopefully they release an xbox app soon.

I dont have any usb to hdmi adaptors so tonight I am running a rgb cable (lol) fom my laptop to my tv and this looks way better than the bullcrap that foxtel throttles their streaming service down to.

Great value.

Foxtel Now is only in SD yeah?

I cant't speak to the facts of that but it definitely looks SD and the footy stream is actually worse quality than the other channels. I think it is meant to be HD but I cant be bothered searching it right now.
Also foxtel now would show the channel 7 stream ads and all if it was a friday night game #%$# Foxtel.

I cant't speak to the facts of that but it definitely looks SD and the footy stream is actually worse quality than the other channels. I think it is meant to be HD but I cant be bothered searching it right now.
Also foxtel now would show the channel 7 stream ads and all if it was a friday night game #%$# Foxtel.

Kayo shows the channel 7 stream too (including ads)

I have an old Chromecast which is incompatible with Kayo so looking to get a new one before signing up for the Kayo trial. Which is better for Kayo- Chromecast Ultra or Chromecast Third Generation ? I’m not bothered by the price difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have an old Chromecast which is incompatible with Kayo so looking to get a new one before signing up for the Kayo trial. Which is better for Kayo- Chromecast Ultra or Chromecast Third Generation ? I’m not bothered by the price difference.
Have you actually tested it out? Unsupported doesn't necessarily mean incompatible.

Have you actually tested it out? Unsupported doesn't necessarily mean incompatible.
Good point. I haven’t , but it’s slow so I’m happy to upgrade and keep the old one for the other (less used) TV. I’d be interested if anyone reading has tried it with an older Chromecast though .

Good point. I haven’t , but it’s slow so I’m happy to upgrade and keep the old one for the other (less used) TV. I’d be interested if anyone reading has tried it with an older Chromecast though .
Older ones work fine. They just can't display anything over 720p. As far as what to get it depends on your TV and what you want. If you have a 4K TV or want one and desire that picture quality then an Ultra is probably best and most future proof. Kayo doesn't yet do greater than 1080p but that could change. Otherwise get a 3rd gen and the current 1080p max streaming works well.

Last edited:
Older Chromecasts work but are limited to 720p, might also pay to force 50Hz in the Chromecast settings as Kayo becomes jittery at 60Hz which the Chromecast defaults too.

I started the 14 day free trial last week, and without fail the page will crash every 30min or so when watching on my laptop (using chrome). Has anybody else had this issue? Can I do something to fix?

I started the 14 day free trial last week, and without fail the page will crash every 30min or so when watching on my laptop (using chrome). Has anybody else had this issue? Can I do something to fix?

Check that Chrome is up to date & also try Firefox. Are you are using Win10? Dont think Win7 is supported. Still having problems then contact kayo support, they usually respond fairly quickly.

Personally I gave up on browsers, too many issues, & went to a chromecast.

Been dropping back to standard definition repeatedly during the last half hour of the Geelong Essendon game, no issues with my internet so looks like its kayo.

Exact same issue with Kayo in last quarter, it wasn't my bandwidth as im running at 80mbps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back