Moved Thread Kayo Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

It is cheaper yes but not officially supported by Kayo's android tv app. However it can easily be sideloaded.
True, as you mentioned chromecast thought it might be worth mentioning as has built in chromecast and ethernet, as an alternative usually cheaper than chromecast ultra, unless a dongle is preferred.

Watched the replay of the Richmond v Melbourne practice match tonight/this morning and the best quality it put out was 360P on my 50/20 nbn. Considering I started watching it at around 12am it was disappointing. It's not like this country town of 600 people is firing up at midnight. Quality was better during peak time today.

Got the trial going now. Initial impression is that the picture quality is slightly worse than Foxtel’s - just a fraction “jerky”, typical of internet video.

Watching on second screen (32-inch Sony Bravia via Apple TV) and am expecting it to be harder to live with on a bigger screen. Undecided at this early stage; 14 days to make up my mind.

Check that you've got the Appletv set to 50hz refresh rate (either 1080p50hz or 720p50hz depending on your tv).

Check that you've got the Appletv set to 50hz refresh rate (either 1080p50hz or 720p50hz depending on your tv).

It was on 1080/60, which should be fine for the TV according to the manual. Will give it a run on 1080/50.

The slight choppiness I noticed was minor, I'm very picky. By the end of the game it wasn't causing me any consternation. Not sure whether this was due to the picture settling down after the one brief dropout or just my eyes adjusting a la the cable "burn-in" phenomenon.

Small screen gets a tick, will give it a run on the big screen next.

It was on 1080/60, which should be fine for the TV according to the manual. Will give it a run on 1080/50.

The slight choppiness I noticed was minor, I'm very picky. By the end of the game it wasn't causing me any consternation. Not sure whether this was due to the picture settling down after the one brief dropout or just my eyes adjusting a la the cable "burn-in" phenomenon.

Small screen gets a tick, will give it a run on the big screen next.

If you had it set at 60 that's probably the reason for the slight glitchiness. Have a go at 50hz and see if it runs smoother. (60 is generally better for US content - Netflix will automatically switch to 60 on your ATV so if you leave it at 50 it should be fine. Not sure about Plex though?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about Plex though?

Depends on the receiving app’s playback capabilities. Most of them don’t pay the licence fees for e.g. DTS-HD MA, so Plex almost always transcodes, which decreases audio quality in particular when hooked up to decent hi-fi gear. Plex polls the receiving device/app and asks what are your playback capabilities, the device replies, and Plex almost always transmits a version at lesser quality than the original file (depending on the resolution of the file). Which is fine if you’re the type who listens happily to music in .mp3, but some of us are AV snobs and aspire to better...

That’s the beauty of Infuse - it plays back practically every format natively while integrating with your Plex library, so you can have a NAS full of 30GB lossless Blu-Ray rips and watch them over wireless in full quality. The Apple TV does the rendering work rather than the Plex server.

I found the Plex app on the Sony TV to be unusable with high quality files due to Sony TV’s being underpowered in general, and the Plex app on Apple TV frustrating as Apple TV will not handle .mkv files natively and insists on conversion to (lossy) .mp4.

But back to Kayo...

Last edited:
What we are witnessing is male sports being jammed behind a paywall and womens sport being the replacement on free to air. People need to be lined up and shot starting with the ministers in charge. Sport will die in the pursuit of $$$$ its an outrage

What we are witnessing is male sports being jammed behind a paywall and womens sport being the replacement on free to air. People need to be lined up and shot starting with the ministers in charge. Sport will die in the pursuit of $$$$ its an outrage
I guess because people won't pay for women's but will for mens. It's just business.

Watched the replay of the Richmond v Melbourne practice match tonight/this morning and the best quality it put out was 360P on my 50/20 nbn. Considering I started watching it at around 12am it was disappointing. It's not like this country town of 600 people is firing up at midnight. Quality was better during peak time today.
Who is your RSP?

Who is your RSP?
Optus. I'll add that I've had buffering/quality issues before overnight and suspect the problem's at Kayo's end. Is it possible they shut down some things/servers overnight to save moola?

Optus. I'll add that I've had buffering/quality issues before overnight and suspect the problem's at Kayo's end. Is it possible they shut down some things/servers overnight to save moola?
I haven't tried streaming late at night, but I'd doubt they would do that.

Something like that is often related to congestion with the RSP.

I haven't tried streaming late at night, but I'd doubt they so that.

Something like that is often related to congestion with the RSP.
Yes it usually is but doubt that's the case at 3am Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back