Kayo

Yeah, time to change ISP's I think. Getting 2.2Mbps when you're paying for 100 is laughable.
Try Aussie Broadband. They don’t over-subscribe their bandwidth which means very little dropping of speed in peak times. I pay for 100 and average 94. Added bonus of techies being in Australia and not an offshore call centre.

theoretically cheaper option, allows greater subscription numbers

(theoretic as in you don't have to bundle with a package first to get sports)
We just recently cut back to sports only on Foxtel - had been paying for a platinum account on two tvs for years... and just thought it was a ridiculous waste of money. So we managed to cut back from $160 per month to $93 (+ $20 for Netflix) so we are still better off.... but if we could have the sports for $35 a month I’d be much bloody happier!

Try Aussie Broadband. They don’t over-subscribe their bandwidth which means very little dropping of speed in peak times. I pay for 100 and average 94. Added bonus of techies being in Australia and not an offshore call centre.

They're the ones I actually had in mind. Cheers.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
WTF would they put up a cheaper option against themselves?

cheaper but cheaper for them too as they don't have to pay for any of the infrastructure costs of renting the coaxial network or running satellite transmitters. Plus they know internet-based apps will replace the cable model eventually so want to make sure they are the app that replaces cable.

We just recently cut back to sports only on Foxtel - had been paying for a platinum account on two tvs for years... and just thought it was a ridiculous waste of money. So we managed to cut back from $160 per month to $93 (+ $20 for Netflix) so we are still better off.... but if we could have the sports for $35 a month I’d be much bloody happier!
$35 for 3 concurrent streams. $25 for 2. unlimited devices able to be used too

pmar

Senior List
Apr 1, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Quick question .....if you have a weak Wi-Fi signal, does getting the Kayo broadcast & then casting to a television OK ....or in that situation, is it better to simply link via HDMI the IPhone / IPad direct to the TV ?
Both scenarios use wifi so i dont think there will be much difference.
Once you cast Kayo to the TV using a chromecast, the iphone/ipad is no longer used other than to show info on what is being cast. The chromecast handles the actual streaming itself.
If you use a HDMI cable to link the iphone/ipad, you will be mirroring the screen meaning that they cant be used while you watch. Could be annoying if a phone call/message/other notification comes through while you watch.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Both scenarios use wifi so i dont think there will be much difference.
Once you cast Kayo to the TV using a chromecast, the iphone/ipad is no longer used other than to show info on what is being cast. The chromecast handles the actual streaming itself.
If you use a HDMI cable to link the iphone/ipad, you will be mirroring the screen meaning that they cant be used while you watch. Could be annoying if a phone call/message/other notification comes through while you watch.
If I'm watching the Crows, the call wouldn't be answered anyway

WTF would they put up a cheaper option against themselves?

Smart businesses will transition away from provision models that are facing obsolescence. You price the new technology as cheaper to get a foot in the door in the developing market- there's no point pricing yourself above your competitors (TBH, I think they already are doing this- compare the price of this package to just getting the direct stream options like NFL gamepass).

The foxtel model will become obsolete, and streaming will replace it. The only real question is whether they get a piece of the action or not.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Smart businesses will transition away from provision models that are facing obsolescence. You price the new technology as cheaper to get a foot in the door in the developing market- there's no point pricing yourself above your competitors (TBH, I think they already are doing this- compare the price of this package to just getting the direct stream options like NFL gamepass).

The foxtel model will become obsolete, and streaming will replace it. The only real question is whether they get a piece of the action or not.
My concern is the aftermarket price once Foxtel disappears

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Spot on !!

So can you watch sports you missed? For example could I watch the United game from last night? That's a big thing for me with fox is the recording ability
yep

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
So can you watch sports you missed? For example could I watch the United game from last night? That's a big thing for me with fox is the recording ability

Kramer-Yes-Nod.gif

cheaper but cheaper for them too as they don't have to pay for any of the infrastructure costs of renting the coaxial network or running satellite transmitters. Plus they know internet-based apps will replace the cable model eventually so want to make sure they are the app that replaces cable.
Ok... so I currently get Foxtel via satellite because there were no cables to the area, but now have NBN. Would I be able to get it?

Ok... so I currently get Foxtel via satellite because there were no cables to the area, but now have NBN. Would I be able to get it?
all you need is an internet connection. if you want to watch on tv, you'll need a chromecast too

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yeah KAYO is over the internet like Netflix, it's not like Foxtel where you get a set top box and connect it to your TV to get the service.

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mate of mine has recently setup a mini pc, connected via Ethernet with a small wireless keyboard and mouse.
He is smashing both Kayo and Netflix without an issue.
We watched the basket ball recently and it looked ok to me (I had been drinking most of the day though)

I will do the 14 day trial when the footy starts and make a decision from there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back