Kayo

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The app has popped up on my Telstra TV.

I plan on starting the 14 day trial once the Footy season starts. If there is any risk of buffering/crashes it will be round one.

Also a deal breaker of there are ads between goals. GF day is always a reminder of why I love FoxFooty as they dont broadcast the GF the ads annoy me.

Hopefully no ads and it runs smoothly in HD. Can then ditch the Foxtel Box. Get Kayo and Foxtel Now running through my Telstra TV.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It sucks on Telstra TV due to the audio being so out of sync.

Not bad on mobile devices though

No issues on Telstra TV here.
i found Telstra tv to use much lower quality bitrates in comparison to chromecast, was slightly disappointing

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
theoretically cheaper option, allows greater subscription numbers

(theoretic as in you don't have to bundle with a package first to get sports)

My worry is that it seems very out of character for Foxtel to offer something at a reasonable price. How long before they jack up the prices or make FoxFooty a $10 a month “addition”?

Subscription will then drop off and they’ll then have to jack up costs to cover overheads and drop off further... it’s the Foxtel way.

My worry is that it seems very out of character for Foxtel to offer something at a reasonable price. How long before they jack up the prices or make FoxFooty a $10 a month “addition”?

Subscription will then drop off and they’ll then have to jack up costs to cover overheads and drop off further... it’s the Foxtel way.
hasn't happened with Foxtel Now while I've been a member with them (3 years). it won't happen here either

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Got my trial running last night so far so good would be awesome to be able to cast the mutli screen to my TV.

Also they should make it easier to find the live channels scrolling down to the bottom is a bit painful.

Will wait until footy season starts and if there are no major issues I'll be switching to this and ditching fox

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide

Foxtel subscription numbers have dropped once ever.

hasn't happened with Foxtel Now while I've been a member with them (3 years). it won't happen here either
There are so many that only got fox for the footy. If Kayo becomes a viable option, most will dump Fox and go with Kayo. Reckon you'll see some changes then.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

But Foxtel Now is hardly reasonably priced when conpared to other online services. Wouldn’t show in HD unless you had a Telstra TV, wouldn’t broadcast the true Fox Footy channel(=adds etc), average play back functions with limited functions/content.

Foxtel Now was piss poor attempt to compete with Netflix/Stan and even iTunes/Google and they charged relative top dollar for it.

Foxtel have always tried to gouge as much from the consumer as possible. Kayo goes against the grain, I don’t trust them to keep their fees at an affordable price.

Foxtel subscription numbers have dropped once ever.

Because they’ve always worked to the same model of forcing people to pay for a heap of s**t they don’t need, just to get the 1 or 2 channels/programs they actually want. Thus significant up turns in their product and no significant down turns.

This time Foxtel have actually offered a service where consumers can pay a reasonable price for premium content without forking out significant extra for s**t they don’t need. It’s suddebly attractive to a lot of people whom previously wouldn’t pay for Foxtel.

When Kayo becomes popular, how long before they think “hey, look at the demand, how about we up prices?”

I hope they keep prices reasonable, I guess they I don’t trust them with what is a significant variation from their long standing business model.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Got my trial running last night so far so good would be awesome to be able to cast the mutli screen to my TV.

Also they should make it easier to find the live channels scrolling down to the bottom is a bit painful.

Will wait until footy season starts and if there are no major issues I'll be switching to this and ditching fox

Almost ditched it initially because these weren’t available and I thought the only way to watch was choose the show desired directly, which I’ve found a little glitchy.

Eventually found the channels and I’m happy, but yeah, needs to be easier to find.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
I read that you need a Chromecast Ultra - is this right? I've got a couple of Gen 1 Crhomecasts at home, so not sure if that will be a show stopper? (I get the gen 1 may not give the same resolution, but as long as it still works I don't care).

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone else found the Big bash picture past couple of nights to look a bit "noisy", like grainy dots over the darker parts of the scene? Noticeable for me last 2 days and not before (and not on free to air or other streaming services).

Also noticed last night for the 1st time audio was out of sync with the picture during mid innings commentary (may have been 1 off).

This is with apple TV 4K

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I’ve had it since it was released a few issues early but now it’s awesome. You need at least a 2nd gen chromecast if you don’t have a streaming box you can download the app on. I think my favourite feature is that you can start watching something late and catch up by watching the match highlights up until where it is live. So in the cricket if you have missed the first 10 overs you can watch each 4, 6, wicket etc.
Also the condensed highlight packages they have are great. Will be awesome for the footy.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I read that you need a Chromecast Ultra - is this right? I've got a couple of Gen 1 Crhomecasts at home, so not sure if that will be a show stopper? (I get the gen 1 may not give the same resolution, but as long as it still works I don't care).

You need at least a Gen 2, they are currently up to Gen 3 but if you are going to buy a new one you might as well spend the extra 30 bucks and get an Ultra.

When Kayo becomes popular, how long before they think “hey, look at the demand, how about we up prices?”
that would be business suicide if they did that

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
In the case of why is Foxtel doing this I think they have seen the writing on the wall and know they can’t compete with Netflix, Stan, Amazon etc. Also I see Disney is launching it’s own streaming service next year so all Disney content will obviously end up there exclusively once all their excisting contracts run out.
Foxtel still has exclusive rights to a few decent shows like Game of Thrones but that finishes this year. Music videos you can stream anywhere and all of their Kids stuff is already on Netflix & Stan.
That really only leaves News & Sport and you can get news anywhere.
The set top boxes they have are becoming obsolete because you don’t really need to record anything now as most stuff is on demand, plus the cost of the boxes and installation.
Smart move by them I think going all in with sport.
Kayo (Foxtel) will get the EPL back when the rights finish up with Optus and they will have a monopoly on all Sport coverage in Australia. The only other option you will have is subscribe to the league pass for different sports but not all are available over here and are expensive.

Bender20

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seeing the Strikers game wasn't on free to air I downloaded the android app.
I'm casting through a gen 2 chromecast, nbn running between 18 and 23 mbps
The kayo app is very easy to use, I have found setting up your preferences obviously will show you what's coming up in the home interface, which suits your viewing.
You have the option to watch HD, SD, or Auto, I was set on Auto.
The picture is very high quality, I had a small 30 second period where it pixelated slightly, no big deal.
I will stream the ODI plus the 36ers today through a split screen to see how it goes.
I'm going to close my cleng and AFL live pass accounts, this app makes the former look prehistoric.
This is the most user friendly app I have used to date.

Back