Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
The Seymour Telegraph have reported 9 new signings at the Swans and apparently some more to come. At least four that I know have played at senior level in the GV and a couple of others that apparently go alright. Hopefully things are looking up for the Swannies.:thumbsu:

Promising debut post Profit :thumbsu: Dont get the Telegraph any chance of reeling off some of the names? Nine newbies and a few more to come, I'd say the two's are gunna be mighty strong also then if everyone from 2011 sticks around.

The Profit

Draftee
Oct 26, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Promising debut post Profit :thumbsu: Dont get the Telegraph any chance of reeling off some of the names? Nine newbies and a few more to come, I'd say the two's are gunna be mighty strong also then if everyone from 2011 sticks around.

The 4 that have played senior GV footy are Dom Russo, Andrew Green, Grant Hateley and David Brain.
The others were Lachie McKenzie, Ryan Lambert (who were the winner and runner up in the b&f at Glenrowan), Daniel Neville, Aaron Quigley and Scott McLeod. McLeod has apparently represented nsw/act.
I don't know who the others to come are, I was just repeating what was said in the article.

hasa

Rookie
Nov 17, 2008
ky
AFL Club
West Coast
Any truth that Heath Barnett has committed for 2012 at Lanky? If so will be good to see the big ezmay back in the league! Still remember watching him run when lanky won the flag in 01 as a young fella!! Any word if many are on the move out there or are they going for it again?

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The 4 that have played senior GV footy are Dom Russo, Andrew Green, Grant Hateley and David Brain.
The others were Lachie McKenzie, Ryan Lambert (who were the winner and runner up in the b&f at Glenrowan), Daniel Neville, Aaron Quigley and Scott McLeod. McLeod has apparently represented nsw/act.
I don't know who the others to come are, I was just repeating what was said in the article.

Is he the dude that played at Yea this year?

T.Perry

All Australian
Oct 26, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Rushy Tigers
Any truth that Heath Barnett has committed for 2012 at Lanky? If so will be good to see the big ezmay back in the league! Still remember watching him run when lanky won the flag in 01 as a young fella!! Any word if many are on the move out there or are they going for it again?

Yeh, apparently it was out of Nathalia and Lancaster and he'll be back with the wombats in 2012, which is a coup for the league. No doubt they'll be looking to go back-to-back and most are staying.

Was saying the other day that it's great to see the league going so well at the moment, the comp will be even more competitive next year as Avenel, Merrigum and Gig will improve, the top teams won't drop off too much and there seems as much interest in the comp as ever.

I honestly reckon the standard's lifting and it'd have to be one of the healthiest district leagues going around at the moment, plenty of teams, most have 3 footy and 3 netty sides, awesome to see.

goechuca

Draftee
Dec 7, 2010
moama
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeh, apparently it was out of Nathalia and Lancaster and he'll be back with the wombats in 2012, which is a coup for the league. No doubt they'll be looking to go back-to-back and most are staying.

Was saying the other day that it's great to see the league going so well at the moment, the comp will be even more competitive next year as Avenel, Merrigum and Gig will improve, the top teams won't drop off too much and there seems as much interest in the comp as ever.

I honestly reckon the standard's lifting and it'd have to be one of the healthiest district leagues going around at the moment, plenty of teams, most have 3 footy and 3 netty sides, awesome to see.

you can,t be serious, barnett is a dud got to much of a bad lifestyle:confused:, also Kdl one of healthiest leagues your kidding!!! one of the worst standards of footy ive ever seen!! and im not alone in saying that!!!

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
you can,t be serious, barnett is a dud got to much of a bad lifestyle:confused:, also Kdl one of healthiest leagues your kidding!!! one of the worst standards of footy ive ever seen!! and im not alone in saying that!!!
Do you have any understanding of what you just said? The KDFL is in good shape in comparison to many of the other district leagues around the place. To discuss your assessment of the standard of the league, I don't think your opinion is really relevant. I probably should have ignored this post but if you're going to de-rail another league's forum, how about you save us all the effort of having to read it.

I'm going to assume you're one of those guys content to ride on the coat tails of the big boys. Run along now and stroke your ego elsewhere, and for the record your prestigious MFL isn't as prestigious as you would like to believe. If you were any sort of footballer you wouldn't need to worry about the lowly KDFL now would you?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For what it's worth a few boys I play with Melb played MFL a year or 2 back and said the standard was 'ok' with the WRFL a step up! Now I have no idea it was just an assesment from this particular corner, I thought the KDFL was alot better than I was expecting. Beazer said it's the same level of EDFL B grade which he played this year and is a pretty decent standard it self in what is the best A grade comp in Metro Melbourne.

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't really think the standard's that much of an issue to be honest, it's pretty well similar to a lot of district leagues. Apart from the bottom 5 who were terrible this year, the top 8 sides weren't too bad. There are some good footballers running around at the different clubs.

I've watched a fair bit of local football this year and watching the Heathcote league's middle sides like North Bendigo and White Hills, the football isn't a world apart like some people seem to believe. Even the likes of LBU and Heathcote, they are good sides without being unbelievable. I'm sure the likes of Lancaster and Rushworth would have been at that level. The KDFL also doesn't have clubs like Huntly and Swanpool, who while I sympathise with, are really in an unenviable position.

As Tav was saying, most clubs fielded an Under 18's this year and even helped out those who didn't quite have the numbers. None of the clubs are facing extinction like Wunghnu, Thornton-Eildon or the old Benalla league clubs, so they're all in good health from that perspective. Even Longwood seem to have adapted well, even though I thought they would be on the verge of folding by now.

T.Perry

All Australian
Oct 26, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Rushy Tigers
For what it's worth a few boys I play with Melb played MFL a year or 2 back and said the standard was 'ok' with the WRFL a step up! Now I have no idea it was just an assesment from this particular corner, I thought the KDFL was alot better than I was expecting. Beazer said it's the same level of EDFL B grade which he played this year and is a pretty decent standard it self in what is the best A grade comp in Metro Melbourne.

Yeh, it's all speculative tige, a grade amateurs, eastern div 1 & essendon district div 1 can all mount a fair case to being regarded as the best comp in Melbourne, but there's not much difference overall I reckon. Same with GV and O&M, GV's probably a bit stronger at the moment, but there's not much between them.

Goechuca, kdl is a district league comp, so in essence should be the worst standard you'll see, though it's still good footy and a few mates I've got who watched the GF and are from 'major' leagues all said it was an entertaining
game and were pleasantly surprised with the standard. My comments about the 'healthy' league was more based on the number of teams, the eveness of the top 8 sides this year and the fact that it looks sustainable going forward. Plus sides like Avenel, merrigum & gig will improve while none of the top 8 look like dropping away too much.

Clubs across the board seem to be putting mirror a focus developing their local talent, which is a massive plus, and Rushy had 16 in the GF side who were a product of their junior teams.

John carrot, as soon as you start lobbying to make all local footy an amateur comp I'll be the first one to support you, no arguements against any of your points, just reckon there should be some recognition of the fact money spent on players is a by product of guys who get delisted from afl clubs, and probably won't stop unless there's a statewide overhaul or the afl becomes amateur, neither of which look like happening any time soon.

John Carrot

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Redlegs and Blue Country
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeh, it's all speculative tige, a grade amateurs, eastern div 1 & essendon district div 1 can all mount a fair case to being regarded as the best comp in Melbourne, but there's not much difference overall I reckon. Same with GV and O&M, GV's probably a bit stronger at the moment, but there's not much between them.

Goechuca, kdl is a district league comp, so in essence should be the worst standard you'll see, though it's still good footy and a few mates I've got who watched the GF and are from 'major' leagues all said it was an entertaining
game and were pleasantly surprised with the standard. My comments about the 'healthy' league was more based on the number of teams, the eveness of the top 8 sides this year and the fact that it looks sustainable going forward. Plus sides like Avenel, merrigum & gig will improve while none of the top 8 look like dropping away too much.

Clubs across the board seem to be putting mirror a focus developing their local talent, which is a massive plus, and Rushy had 16 in the GF side who were a product of their junior teams.

John carrot, as soon as you start lobbying to make all local footy an amateur comp I'll be the first one to support you, no arguements against any of your points, just reckon there should be some recognition of the fact money spent on players is a by product of guys who get delisted from afl clubs, and probably won't stop unless there's a statewide overhaul or the afl becomes amateur, neither of which look like happening any time soon.
Originally Posted by tige19

Goechuca, kdl is a district league comp, so in essence should be the worst standard you'll see, though it's still good footy and a few mates I've got who watched the GF and are from 'major' leagues all said it was an entertaining game and were pleasantly surprised with the standard. My comments about the 'healthy' league was more based on the number of teams, the eveness of the top 8 sides this year and the fact that it looks sustainable going forward. Plus sides like Avenel, merrigum & gig will improve while none of the top 8 look like dropping away too much.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬___________________________________________________________________________________
Good stuff Tav..
For a start, Webbie will tell you that I am a “WHOB” .. a White Haired Old Bustrad .. but I am not an amateur, nor a professional, nor an old “sixties play for the jumper” dumbo!

Firstly, three pros and cons.

Payment pros:
~ 60-70’s : VFL players weren’t “de-listed” in the contractual sense of now. Older players retired to come back as paid coaching/leaders for country clubs. (Bob Rose to Wangaratta, Bluey Shelton to Seymour .. much to the chagrin of my old side, Avenel!). In fact the now VFL is an amalgam of the VFA and the old VFL seconds.
~ I have no qualms with MAJOR league players being paid based on criteria of a paying support/crowd attendance levels .. even One FM footy broadcasts know that value! Major league boards are maybe more “professional” than the best of district league’s and the population size of some regional centres with sponsorship makes a major league a fit under the AFL, VFL, and the TAC Bushwhacker footy for recruiting.
~ “Playing for the jumper” died last century! After WW2 I reckon, ( I’m not THAT old!). So in 2012 Clubs must recognise that players need recompense for cost to get to the Club. Clubs must work with sponsors for food, accommodation and petrol subsidies then reward them (.. and the local players) with sizeable transparent match day awards.

Payment Cons:
~ Players demanding money to play district footy have no respect for the efforts of VOLUNTEERS who provide a game of footy. The committee VOLUNTEERS get paid “SFA” ( .. Sweet Fanny Adams!) and if given an honorarium for expenses usually end up out of pocket anyway.
Don’t speak of the gatekeepers, seconds goal umpires, scoreboard attendants, seconds boundary umpires, water carriers, canteen and bar volunteers etc. etc. Who may get a pie or a can!!
And often the travelling players take their envelope and disappear!
~ Dissipation of the “gene” pool. Floggings in the AFL will get worse with the new 18 sides. I come from a family of 3 blokes and 2 girls. You may talk about thirds level but I ask in 2012; when the average country family now is “2 and a bit” kids per family, where are the cattle coming from.
Meantime. Some GVFL 20 year old seconds player who has sat on the pine for the ones for a couple of seasons walks into a district club and says “Show me the money”!!
~ Finally .. the extent of paying players in a lower district level is a manifestation of the flow down from the AFL of the last 40 years. It is also done outside of a club’s books through coteries and “sponsorships”. Has been like this since the 70’s and I challenge any club to challenge me on that!!

A classic to finish up was of a few years ago when a KDFL hot shot stood in the backline beside a coach I knew and .. predictably .. as the ball was down the other end, he started chatting and asked how much he was being paid as coach.
The coach answered but the mercenary said, “mate .. you’re missing out .. I’m getting $500 a game!!!

..Wonder what the EDFL B Grade pay nowadays in the city?
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

slim18

Premiership Player
May 30, 2005
At the top of the heap
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moose Jaw Warriors, Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by tige19

Goechuca, kdl is a district league comp, so in essence should be the worst standard you'll see, though it's still good footy and a few mates I've got who watched the GF and are from 'major' leagues all said it was an entertaining game and were pleasantly surprised with the standard. My comments about the 'healthy' league was more based on the number of teams, the eveness of the top 8 sides this year and the fact that it looks sustainable going forward. Plus sides like Avenel, merrigum & gig will improve while none of the top 8 look like dropping away too much.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬___________________________________________________________________________________
Good stuff Tav..
For a start, Webbie will tell you that I am a “WHOB” .. a White Haired Old Bustrad .. but I am not an amateur, nor a professional, nor an old “sixties play for the jumper” dumbo!

Firstly, three pros and cons.

Payment pros:
~ 60-70’s : VFL players weren’t “de-listed” in the contractual sense of now. Older players retired to come back as paid coaching/leaders for country clubs. (Bob Rose to Wangaratta, Bluey Shelton to Seymour .. much to the chagrin of my old side, Avenel!). In fact the now VFL is an amalgam of the VFA and the old VFL seconds.
~ I have no qualms with MAJOR league players being paid based on criteria of a paying support/crowd attendance levels .. even One FM footy broadcasts know that value! Major league boards are maybe more “professional” than the best of district league’s and the population size of some regional centres with sponsorship makes a major league a fit under the AFL, VFL, and the TAC Bushwhacker footy for recruiting.
~ “Playing for the jumper” died last century! After WW2 I reckon, ( I’m not THAT old!). So in 2012 Clubs must recognise that players need recompense for cost to get to the Club. Clubs must work with sponsors for food, accommodation and petrol subsidies then reward them (.. and the local players) with sizeable transparent match day awards.

Payment Cons:
~ Players demanding money to play district footy have no respect for the efforts of VOLUNTEERS who provide a game of footy. The committee VOLUNTEERS get paid “SFA” ( .. Sweet Fanny Adams!) and if given an honorarium for expenses usually end up out of pocket anyway.
Don’t speak of the gatekeepers, seconds goal umpires, scoreboard attendants, seconds boundary umpires, water carriers, canteen and bar volunteers etc. etc. Who may get a pie or a can!!
And often the travelling players take their envelope and disappear!
~ Dissipation of the “gene” pool. Floggings in the AFL will get worse with the new 18 sides. I come from a family of 3 blokes and 2 girls. You may talk about thirds level but I ask in 2012; when the average country family now is “2 and a bit” kids per family, where are the cattle coming from.
Meantime. Some GVFL 20 year old seconds player who has sat on the pine for the ones for a couple of seasons walks into a district club and says “Show me the money”!!
~ Finally .. the extent of paying players in a lower district level is a manifestation of the flow down from the AFL of the last 40 years. It is also done outside of a club’s books through coteries and “sponsorships”. Has been like this since the 70’s and I challenge any club to challenge me on that!!

A classic to finish up was of a few years ago when a KDFL hot shot stood in the backline beside a coach I knew and .. predictably .. as the ball was down the other end, he started chatting and asked how much he was being paid as coach.
The coach answered but the mercenary said, “mate .. you’re missing out .. I’m getting $500 a game!!!

..Wonder what the EDFL B Grade pay nowadays in the city?
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu:

Long time no speak oh deep rooted one.....as`you know we share a lot of like minded thoughts, except for music and underwear. I was speaking to some well connected Murray League people recently who were telling me that 100k plus is "average" in that league " AVERAGE".... As you and I have discussed before 50k plus is common in the O&k league, just to make up the numbers in finals.....

Where does country footy go from here.......When a club has to "pay" to get the kids it raised back / or keep at home.......The whole job's F @#$ed.....:confused::confused::confused:

Ps ....Keep your roots moist old timer...

Speedy22

Debutant
Feb 16, 2008
Tally Area
AFL Club
Collingwood

what do you call a bad lifestyle ??? everyone is perfect out lancy so he should fit in well out there :eek:

jobbyav

Senior List
Aug 12, 2007
Avenel
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Avenel Broadford Tongala
J.C good to see you back , l heard that leggers spent 70k or did they turnover 70k for the year ?

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
J.C good to see you back , l heard that leggers spent 70k or did they turnover 70k for the year ?

Surely has to be turnover jobbyav. Avenel wouldn't even be spending anywhere near that much on the entire 2012 list their compiling :confused:

jobbyav

Senior List
Aug 12, 2007
Avenel
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Avenel Broadford Tongala
Surely has to be turnover jobbyav. Avenel wouldn't even be spending anywhere near that much on the entire 2012 list their compiling :confused:

Yer doona ,the coach wouldnt be taking much and the ass/coach is on bugger all compared to what he could get the good thing with the crew they have so far they should be fit. And when it comes to $ in footy adapt or die we can complain but thats the way it is
The roo is now a blue funny how times change lm sure you wouldnt have seen a roo coaching the footy and cricket in the land of the blues;) all you need to do now is to poach a few roos hell they would have to build a wall between the two towns and put armend guards up if that happend:D

Hillite

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2006
Mildura
AFL Club
St Kilda
The review of country footy suggests a points system (for player recruiting) i imagine for all leagues. How do you reckon that will be received in the kdl and nearby leagues?
Im in mildura and it seems to work well here. its been in for about 5 years and other than a few minor tweeks it works ok.

souts

Senior List
Sep 25, 2006
home
AFL Club
Richmond
if they like to party till late sunday arvos, he will fit right in then:rolleyes:

You should try it then, because what ever they do it seems to work for them! You have taken pot shots at people on the gv site, now having a crack at barnett on here, who are u because umust be pretty handy!

John Carrot

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Redlegs and Blue Country
AFL Club
Essendon
G'day Hillite .. Being an old pric .. erm person! I'm out of a lot of loops nowadays. Can you send me a BigFooty private message with more info on this recruiting points scheme. Sounds interesting?
I am not against players in district footy being recompensed for expenses and given the opportunity to EARN a dollar on match day .. and re-cycle some back into a club while getting to know team-mates and characters around a club.
I do detest the way player payments in the last 25 years in small time district footy having become an expectation of small time "legends in their own lunchtime" and complicity by clubs seeking success for their small towns by making these match day payments excessive which is crucifying country footy .. with intials like JC I can use the word "crucify" with authority!!
Cheers
John Carrot
ps If you weren't born Catholic, like me .. (I'm signed with the Mick's but haven't been to training for 45 years) .. the word "crucify" might need definition!!

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
JC, below is a link to the MPNFL setup. http://www.vcfl.com.au/fileadmin/us.../Player_Remuneration_Guide/MPNFL_PPS_2010.pdf
All leagues are a bit different, some have different point allocations for each team in relation to their population, some are all the same. Most have about 40 points per team, each player is worth a minimum of one point. Points are added to each players worth depending on playing/being recruited from a major league, AFL, another club in the same league etc, points are also deducted if the player is returning to a club they have previously played for, amount of time since they have played major league, AFL, TAC cup. Most systems have an addition of 2 points for players coming from a club in the same league, so that would mean a deterrent would occur for clubs to recruit from within the league. An example; Daniel Harris recruited to Rushy, Straight out of AFL with 100 senior games, so max 5points, but because played juniors at the club take off 2 points to make him worth 3 points, if he went to any other club he would be worth 5 points. Each year that a player plays at a club they lose a point, so in the case above Harris would be back to a 1 point player for his 3rd year.
Reckon it would be ok, not sure it would change much though, this year the main club that it may have affected would have been VT as most of there recruits hadn't played at the club before, but in saying that they may have had room to move due to most of the players at the club would have been on the minimum 1 point. It puts an emphasis on recruiting ex players and not recruiting from rival clubs, it also puts an emphasis on clubs to keep recruits as they go down in points each year they are there.

MarchingOnTogether

Senior List
Sep 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LEEDS UNITED
Any mention of some big recruits to Violet Town? Im under the impression that a fair clump of Heidelbergs side is heading that way.
Very handy if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back