Tatsean

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tatura Bulldogs
Finals systems always cause lots of debate. The thinking was that 1/2 the competition should qualify for finals. To compare, the AFL has a final 8 with now 10 teams missing out, IIRC all AFL Grand Final winners in the current final 8 format have been top 4 teams. (The Crows did it from lower in the old system).

The traditional final 5 would have seen VT and Nagambie face off in an Elim Final last Sunday and Merrigum would have played Stanhope with the winner facing Murchison this week.

The GVFL system would have Stanhope playing the winner of Murch and Merrigum this week in a 2nd Semi and the loser of Murch and Merrigum would be playing Nagambie.

Were there any victors in 6th position in any other grade?
Seymour got thru to the Grand final in the GV from 6th last year, only time I know of it happening...

John Carrot

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Redlegs and Blue Country
AFL Club
Essendon
I have no doubt that at some stage over your illustrious career you would have been a club official of a pharwkwitt background that was involved on a committee that would need to be audited by the ATO for dubious payments to 18yr old wankas that piss off early on a saturday
G'day Waz .. firstly I reply to tell you to use puctuation sparra and capitalisation and not when you are speakin or lookin at me but when when Im writing at you .. notice how the last little bit was misspelled and incorrectly punctuated?? I digress .. our mutual mate from tread leather has the similar concepts to me about using the player points system to act as a default salary cap. Ask Tony when we go bald in the summer!! Cheers Sparra .. jc TR's cobber!!

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
But, we don't have the depth like the GVFL, but it will be interesting if the top 6 stays for 2014, because it hasn't showed to have worked so far.

Why would,nt the top 6 stay Just because lancy had a shocker I would have thought all sides have those days just like merrigum had yesterday or do you belong to the perfect club that never has a bad day !! Lancy smashed all 6 sides below them and deserved their chance The 6 was introduced to give another side a chance at finals and who wouldn't take it!!!

foxtrot36

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2010
echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why would,nt the top 6 stay Just because lancy had a shocker I would have thought all sides have those days just like merrigum had yesterday or do you belong to the perfect club that never has a bad day !! Lancy smashed all 6 sides below them and deserved their chance The 6 was introduced to give another side a chance at finals and who wouldn't take it!!!
last weeks news

KDL KINGS

Senior List
Apr 20, 2008
the goal square
AFL Club
Geelong
please mate, the top 5 is the best outcome.for every finals contender. Lancaster put up the worst display of finals footy in history, scrap the 6, for God sake. get on the lions roarrrr.

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
please mate, the top 5 is the best outcome.for every finals contender. Lancaster put up the worst display of finals footy in history, scrap the 6, for God sake. get on the lions roarrrr.
Hope you got the $6.50 on offer a fortnight ago King!!

Footy Spectator

Draftee
Nov 13, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
In regards to the Top 6, the only way that the League can change it back to a Top 5 is if a club forwards a motion 28 days prior to a league meeting for the club delegates to vote on and really how can you decide on a Top 6 after one year!!!!

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
In regards to the Top 6, the only way that the League can change it back to a Top 5 is if a club forwards a motion 28 days prior to a league meeting for the club delegates to vote on and really how can you decide on a Top 6 after one year!!!!
Doesnt need to be trialled, GV and Murray leagues have done that for them (both systems have major flaws). Top 5 from decades of Finals series has shown to be the best & fairest finals system bar none. The only reason to go to a top 6 is to get an extra final and an extra side an opportunity to play finals, thats fine, but don't believe it should be done at the detriment to the fairness of the finals series. Finishing 3rd should not have the same % chance of progressing to a GF as 4th-6th. Also no difference in finishing 1st or 2nd, so no reward for being the best side all season.

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Doesnt need to be trialled, GV and Murray leagues have done that for them (both systems have major flaws). Top 5 from decades of Finals series has shown to be the best & fairest finals system bar none. The only reason to go to a top 6 is to get an extra final and an extra side an opportunity to play finals, thats fine, but don't believe it should be done at the detriment to the fairness of the finals series. Finishing 3rd should not have the same % chance of progressing to a GF as 4th-6th. Also no difference in finishing 1st or 2nd, so no reward for being the best side all season.
There's no doubt that the final five system is the best system. But for a league of 13, having 8 sides miss out is a lot. I'm certainly not advocating 'everybody gets a turn', but 5 out of 13 is probably too few. You definitely don't want a final 8 like the Ovens and King where 8 of 14 teams get to play finals.

On another note, citing Lancaster's poor showing is a bit unfair; they were a lot closer to the teams above them than the teams below them.

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
On another note, citing Lancaster's poor showing is a bit unfair; they were a lot closer to the teams above them than the teams below them.
Yeah the Lancaster thing was just a chance to add to my argument, but in reality my argument isnt based on the 6th side being good enough or not (look at GV past 2 seasons), its more about sides 3-6 starting the finals with the same chance of progressing.
Still believe a 1v4, 2v3 winners to 2nd semi, highest ranked loser to 1st semi to play winner of 5v6 is better than both GV & Murray systems.

Tatsean

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tatura Bulldogs
There's no doubt that the final five system is the best system. But for a league of 13, having 8 sides miss out is a lot. I'm certainly not advocating 'everybody gets a turn', but 5 out of 13 is probably too few. You definitely don't want a final 8 like the Ovens and King where 8 of 14 teams get to play finals.

I have been told that the AFL 8 system is good in the O&K. Haven't heard a negative from it. More teams get to play finals to keep more interest. More matches as well than a 5 or 6 format = more revenue for clubs too. I think if you are going have a 6 format - the Murray/KDFL is better than the GV. But The Final 8 would have worked better than the 6 format for the GV this year. QF1 would have been Ky v Rochy QF2 Benalla v Tat. EF1 United v Mooroopna. EF2 Swans v Seymour. 4 cracker games instead of 3! Plus 2 prelims instead of 1. Rochy and Tat would have got a double chance. I know they both stuffed up, but now United (5th) gets to play Ky this week for a crack straight into the GF. There are too many people that are negative about the final 8 format in saying that it rewards mediocrity for lesser teams. But I think it is a positive that more teams can play and have the finals experience and extra revenue. We are all about promoting excitement in the Game so why not let more clubs experience it? Murch won by 70 pts 1st v 2nd on the weekend... do you want to go to a final 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
Going out on a limb, calling it early. How will the Gum's season be rated after going out in straight sets and losing both finals by over 12 goals?

mickamona136

Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Going out on a limb, calling it early. How will the Gum's season be rated after going out in straight sets and losing both finals by over 12 goals?
Game could change with all the rain coming for Saturday, on a positive side of things if it's raining chalkie can sit in coaches box because it's not anywhere near the canteen at Girgarre .

Jan 8, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

Ok I'll oblige.. let's say you're right then. I'd say its a fair effort from rock bottom and winless 2 seasons ago. Obviously it would be disappointing but hey Violet Town did the same before their flag. Many experts on here didnt have us tipped to make finals this year, so if anything we should be seen to have exceeded expectations!

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
Ok I'll oblige.. let's say you're right then. I'd say its a fair effort from rock bottom and winless 2 seasons ago. Obviously it would be disappointing but hey Violet Town did the same before their flag. Many experts on here didnt have us tipped to make finals this year, so if anything we should be seen to have exceeded expectations!
Agree, awesome effort to go through the season losing only two games, well and truly exceeded everyones expectations, might have been your downfall to finish 2nd though as 3rd would have given you a great opportunity to win 1 maybe 2 finals, then again I might have egg on my face at 5pm tomorrow.:thumbsu:

Jan 8, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, awesome effort to go through the season losing only two games, well and truly exceeded everyones expectations, might have been your downfall to finish 2nd though as 3rd would have given you a great opportunity to win 1 maybe 2 finals, then again I might have egg on my face at 5pm tomorrow.:thumbsu:

Nah. I won't say anything if you're wrong :D

T.Perry

All Australian
Oct 26, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Rushy Tigers
8 goals to 1 point at quarter time. Looks like Hanky was right. The hoppers will have their work cut out next week.

Jan 8, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
must be the coach

Care to elaborate on that thinking idiot? Stanhope to win the Grand Final. Stroobants and Hams are top GVL quality standard, too good for KDFL. The Gum were lambs to the slaughter, limping in to finals and clearly werent up to it, but we certainly didnt expect that smacking!

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
It was a shame that the season had to end that way for Merrigum (I was hoping like anything that they would rise like Lazarus and beat Stanhope and set up a grand final between a side that hasn't won a flag since Thriller was released and when Michael Jackson was alive and still black (Murchison 1982), or when the Challenger exploded, (Merrigum 1986), but sadly dreams and reality rarely meet, but finishing 3rd after being winless in 2011 is a great achievement, and I hope that the Bulldogs can be back again in 2014.

In all seriousness though, Murchison and Stanhope are the best two sides and should be a cracking game, and putting the neutral hat on, this is the Grand Final that should be the most entertaining.

I would've thought that Stanhope may stagger a bit after being forced to play one more game than what they should have, but it seems that this had had the opposite effect and caused them to peak at the right time (allowing more time for their Bendigo Gold players to gel with the rest of the team, etc.), and that should be a big plus for the Lions.

I'm not going to pick a winner (My head says Stanhope, and my heart says, Murchison, and I hope the heart prevails), but I hope that the neutral support favours Murchison because this is like a final between the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, Cronulla and the Brisbane Broncos in the NRL, the Chicago Cubs and the New York Yankees in the MLB, the Detroit Lions and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL, because it a final between a team that's always had the spotlight at the big dance compared to a club that has mainly been a wallflower at the ball looking at others having all the fun.

In the reserves I would have to favour Undera over Avenel, because of the amount of premiership players they have in their line up, and them being the yard stick all season, and Lancaster should prevail over Nagambie in the 3rds, again, Lanky have been so strong in the Under 18's and this should be a sign of a bright future for the club if they can hang onto them

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Care to elaborate on that thinking idiot? Stanhope to win the Grand Final. Stroobants and Hams are top GVL quality standard, too good for KDFL. The Gum were lambs to the slaughter, limping in to finals and clearly werent up to it, but we certainly didnt expect that smacking!

That's coz Hams and Stroobants are VFL players. Stroobants is the captain of a VFL side for christs sake and in all honesty should not be running around with Stanhope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back