Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
Anyway how are all clubs grounds looking at this time of year?

After having a practice match at Murchison last night, their ground looked to be in very good condition.:thumbsu: That was until it got dark.:)

Longwood's ground has improved with recent rain, but won't be one of the best in the KDFL. Other facilities are 1st class at Longwood with a renovation and new works being completed.

You don't have to worry about our surface, thanks to our groundsman Dick Feehan Snr., it's always looking good:thumbsu:, but our lights are one of a number of things that we would like to improve amongst other things (like everyone else).

Hope it was a good hit out for you for next week, and I'm sure that you'll be a gracious host to those who go to Longwood this year (You're set up is pretty good, especially that room upstairs).

adambourke1

Rookie
Sep 21, 2008
Nagambie
AFL Club
Richmond
You don't have to worry about our surface, thanks to our groundsman Dick Feehan Snr., it's always looking good:thumbsu:, but our lights are one of a number of things that we would like to improve amongst other things (like everyone else).

Hope it was a good hit out for you for next week, and I'm sure that you'll be a gracious host to those who go to Longwood this year (You're set up is pretty good, especially that room upstairs).

Thanks Cletus Delroy, your hospitality was much appreciated. Escpecially the cold ones and bbq after the match:)

It's bit of a treasure playing on good playing surfaces like Murch, how are the other clubs grounds coming up?

John Carrot

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Redlegs and Blue Country
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks Cletus Delroy, your hospitality was much appreciated. Escpecially the cold ones and bbq after the match:)

It's bit of a treasure playing on good playing surfaces like Murch, how are the other clubs grounds coming up?

Grounds for discussion will come forest but ..

Ouch .. welcome to VCFL footy re-engineering punters!!

Swanpool down 120 by Moyhu and Tatong down 55 by King Valley.
Bonnie Doon played Goorambat on the former slope near Lake Serenity but no scores available on countryfootyscores.com as we write.

But did you read that rubbish in the Herald Sun last week by that nebulous CEO of VCFL; think his name is Scott or something, (maybe ‘sgotnofnidea!) of the VCFL to say that the disbanded Benalla League teams are going leaps and bounds in their new competitions? Everyone in that former country footy league are beside themselves with excitement!

Mate .. watch out for the removal, re-arrangement and replacement of vowels and consonants when you say that ‘cos everyone maybe stepping beside themselves in a state of excrement!

So the other four had to do it over Easter. And how brilliant is that of VCFL fat suit controllers, playing DISTRICT footy while everyone is on holidays!

Now the fifth newbie; called the Longwood Redlegs, meet last year’s premiers at Undera for their baptism of fire at a reasonable date on April 10. Next Satd’y

A week AFTER Easter .. maybe the same fate of the old mates above ..or maybe the resurrection??

Go Redlegs
Cheers.
John Carrot:thumbsu:

adambourke1

Rookie
Sep 21, 2008
Nagambie
AFL Club
Richmond
John, I am still trying to decipher (Catch you up at training Tuesday mate) however; after reading earlier posts and there's quite a few, I would like to extend the invitation for any bigfooty blogger who has a question or rumour, ineundo or a fact in issue re: Longwood FNC, that I will endeavour to get a factual response back to you quickly.

Hopefully now with round one only days away, everyones focus (escepicially the home teams) is on putting an entertaining game of bush footy on for the fans in a family friendly environment. With the away teams returning the favour in due course.

Cheers

John Carrot

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Redlegs and Blue Country
AFL Club
Essendon
Be advised that any comments written under the pseudonym of John Carrot on the Big Footy blog are the opinion of the writer only and have no connection to those of the Longwood Football Netball Club Inc.
Should any person(s) be aggrieved with comment by the said John Carrot; that they may consider to be of a libellous or slanderous nature, full details of the writer can be obtained from the Big Footy site controllers for further action.

"Having said that .. let me say this" Said Big Mal Fraser of "life wasn't meant to easy" fame. I have had a gutful of the treatment of small town country footy by the organisation who run country footy and of the player poseurs who shop around at this time of year for the best payment in DISTRICT footy.
How low is it for a nebutante to play practice matches at Euroa for Longwood, then for Yea and Avenel before settling on a bigger return of payment with the Club that the player is currently registered with.

How about the ROI .. Return on Investment .. for the countless volunteers (ie working for nothing!) who provide a game of DISTRICT footy each week.

Forty years of footy passion has now gone down the gurgler for John Carrot.

But in forty years these same mercenaries won’t have to wonder about passing their footy skills onto their kids who may not be good enough for the “big time” .. small town footy will also be down the gurgler!!
Cheers

sraughny

Draftee
May 25, 2009
country vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Be advised that any comments written under the pseudonym of John Carrot on the Big Footy blog are the opinion of the writer only and have no connection to those of the Longwood Football Netball Club Inc.
Should any person(s) be aggrieved with comment by the said John Carrot; that they may consider to be of a libellous or slanderous nature, full details of the writer can be obtained from the Big Footy site controllers for further action.

"Having said that .. let me say this" Said Big Mal Fraser of "life wasn't meant to easy" fame. I have had a gutful of the treatment of small town country footy by the organisation who run country footy and of the player poseurs who shop around at this time of year for the best payment in DISTRICT footy.
How low is it for a nebutante to play practice matches at Euroa for Longwood, then for Yea and Avenel before settling on a bigger return of payment with the Club that the player is currently registered with.

How about the ROI .. Return on Investment .. for the countless volunteers (ie working for nothing!) who provide a game of DISTRICT footy each week.

But in forty years these same mercenaries won’t have to wonder about passing their footy skills onto their kids who may not be good enough for the “big time” .. small town footy will also be down the gurgler!!
Cheers
well said john. there are far to many players overrating their ability. clubs should hold there grond and only offer what there worth.

John Adams

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
The World
First Round Tip's

Ardy v Violet Town = VT 48

Merrigum v Lancy = Lancy 60 +

Nags v Avenel = Nags 55

Stanhope v Rushy = Rushy 12

Tally v Gig = Gig 35

Undera v Longwood = Undera 80 +

Road Worker

Debutant
Apr 5, 2010
Tatura
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well you want to let Dick know hes doing a great job, I drive past there every couple of days and it looks great.:)

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder

Cheers

Wouldnt exactly put Yea into that same category, I was the one who took him over there and I know the reasons why. Who knows maybe he just thought all three teams aren't gunna be great so keep the travel to a minimum, play with his mates as the club are getting him work which no one else has been able to assist with?

I too share your passion for bush footy JC but unfortunately I think with some of our views are becomming outdated and we're a minority in this day and age. Offer them jobs, cover their memberships, gear, insurances - feed em on a Thursday and give em beers on a Satdy night, I too have pushed for all that jazz outside the need to pay a few imports but its getting harder to run clubs like the old days.

I remember vividly one episdoe during my 3 years back home where we had a 20 year old kid with less than 30 senior games under his belt lured away from our club in 2008 for what our highest (and much more experienced and credentialled) paid footballer was getting . . . . mind you a young guy with one senior game to his name received $$$ elsewhere in '08 too so where this is gunna end I too hold grave fears and have no idea :( ???????????

Blame the clubs, not the players, they're the ones that determine a players worth to their organisation each season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City

Well you want to let Dick know hes doing a great job, I drive past there every couple of days and it looks great.:)

I'll tell him that, He likes the praise :):D:thumbsu:

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
First Round Tip's in BLUE

Ardy v Violet Town = by 6+gls

Merrigum v Lancy = by 30pts

Nagambie v Avenel = by 11gls

Stanhope v Rushy = by 9pts

Tally v Gig = by 11pts

Undera v Longwood = by 15-20gls+

BODZY#32

Team Captain
May 24, 2006
Deep in Defence
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Micky Martin

Tally v Gig = by 11pts

Ardy vs. VT (80pts) - just going off our last match at Ardy

Merrigum vs. Lancy (70pts) - No Wellington, Scarcella or T. Sullivan will leave a massive hole at the gum...

Nagambie vs Avenel (70pts) - Both teams are similar to how they were last year, so Naggaz should easily account for the swannies.

Stanhope vs Rushworth (24pts) - If Rushy are at full strength otherwise Stanny by 1pt in a thriller. "Match of the round"

Tally vs Gig (50pts) - I think it will be a long year for Tally and Gig have had a successful off season in terms of recruiting.

Undera vs Longwood (180pts) - Undera to set the benchmark early for 2010

footy88

Team Captain
Oct 22, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Violet Town (40pts) - VT should get up fairly comfortably.

Lancaster (86pts) - Lancy recruited well to an already good side, will be hard to beat this year.

Nagambie (50pts) - Nagambie will be up there again this year, probably a similar year for the swans.

Rushworth (10pts) - Hopefully the Tigers can get off to a good start in 2010.

Girgarre (30pts) - Gig's new recruits should see them over the line.

Undera (100pts) - Undera would have to go in favourites this year and probably wont give the new Redlegs a very warm welcom to the league.

qwerty

Senior List
Aug 2, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
whats happened?

Just another Perry show Doona, had a crack at the umps and some people from the GVFL because poor old Perry had one to many players on the ground and got pulled up.

We will have to see what comes out of it after the GVFL meet this week.

Well enough with Meka on this thread, he is not the KDFL's problem any more.

John Carrot

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2007
Redlegs and Blue Country
AFL Club
Essendon
G’day Doona
A great response with perfect rationale. Respect mate.
We can’t really blame the Clubs or for that matter; the players with credentials, as it has evolved into market forces.
The VCFL is under the wing of the AFL and one of the first cogs in this money-go-round wheel was started by the then VFL with the introduction of the 10 year rule in the early seventies. That’s how North Melbourne got their first premiership with Doug Wade, Barry Davis etc. With TV becoming involved, the money for elite footballers exploded and has filtered down ever since.

A year or so later at Longwood, farmers outside of the committee formed a coterie which paid “travelling money” to outsiders. Locals and outsiders were then paid $5 a win by the Club, plus the chance to win match day awards and presentation night bonuses.
I was Secretary then and was astounded by two incidents.
~ Two players from Melbourne travelled up each week and stayed on to contribute to the social life as well as the paid footy by the coterie.
Their third mate drank cans during the first few games then asked for $20 “travellin’” money when he decided to have a run .. even tho’ he travelled in the same car.
In those days there was only one team at Longwood .. always short on the day .. so this bloke got his wish.

~The second incident was a year later when an undermanned Leggers faced Bonnie Doon in the “near snow” on the old sloped ground. A key coterie backman rang from Melbourne to advise that he had the flu. On the Satd’y he was spotted topping up with petrol at Bonnie Doon! In his 4WD going skiing to Mt.Buller!!

So this debacle has been around for more years in footy than you and me mate, but it is now spiralling south out of control.

What is the answer we ask?
Don’t ask the VCFL because their agenda is to rationalise, (like any good{?} corporate body should do) to lead to the survival of the fittest and maintain; for instance the Bushies when the Wang Rovers play away.
One thing not on their agenda is to maintain the share in the prize of footy and netball for a town of 200 people, like Longwood, who you will see at the August 7 re-union have the best facilities in the KDFNL and an enthusiasm from “locals” all over the state for the perpetuation of country footy. A social glue for the area.

What is the answer we ask?
One answer would be to recommend players to the ATO for a review of declared income??
Whoa .. back off!!
But payments primarily come from coteries .. at least since the seventies ..and not through a Club’s books. And match day awards, which are regarded like winning Lotto as “fortunate gains” .. are usually donated by Club members. With Club’s being incorporated under the 1983 Incorporated Associations Act the committee can no longer be sued “to their bootstraps” for any untoward, under the counter activities.

But why should players receiving those sort of payments outside of the committee not be held accountable?

The response may be that a Club’s committee should have players under a signed contract.
(But also with withholding tax, Worksafe conditions liability policy, Superannuation as an employee etc. etc.)

Yes .. that happens in the TV AFL but who will monitor that in DISTRICT footy.

“Boards” in Major League footy do to a point, but that standard is a giant step for committees who run DISTRICT level footy.
The VCFL remains silent on this issue.

Doona .. I wanted to make my last post the last post but this post is my last.
Ps Ok .. I may come back as a new poster Dame Nellie Melba if allowed. (If any of you are younger than Doona and I, you will have no idea of Dame Nellie Melba!!:confused:

sraughny

Draftee
May 25, 2009
country vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

Tally v Gig = by 11pts

looks like being a wet weekend so winning margins might not be so high??? vt 35 lanc.25 nags.47 rushy.10 gig.21 undera.93

boofaaa79

Senior List
Jun 30, 2008
IN THE GETTO
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
STORM,VICTORY,MAN UNITED,
ardy v vt :ardy by 15pts

the gum v lancy: Lancy by 10gls

nags v avenel : Nags by 70+ ratray to get 10+

stanhope v rushy : Rushy 7pts

tally v gig : Gig by 7gls snell bog and league medal winner after round 1

undera v longwood : Undera might get over the line by 200+ laporta to kick 15gls

and in my match of the round murch to draw murch and d.freedman to get rubbed out for 6 weeks for hitting his head on the bar and spilling willo's drink...

mainland

Senior List
Nov 23, 2005
Mainland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mainland
ardy v vt :ardy by 15pts

the gum v lancy: Lancy by 10gls

nags v avenel : Nags by 70+ ratray to get 10+

stanhope v rushy : Rushy 7pts

tally v gig : Gig by 7gls snell bog and league medal winner after round 1

undera v longwood : Undera might get over the line by 200+ laporta to kick 15gls

and in my match of the round murch to draw murch and d.freedman to get rubbed out for 6 weeks for hitting his head on the bar and spilling willo's drink...

I know he is good but he aint that good he can get votes from the sidelines, if my mail is correct he wont play till bout Rd 5??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back