Carlton
Other Teams
country footy
ardy v vt :ardy by 15pts

the gum v lancy: Lancy by 10gls

nags v avenel : Nags by 70+ ratray to get 10+

stanhope v rushy : Rushy 7pts

tally v gig : Gig by 7gls snell bog and league medal winner after round 1

undera v longwood : Undera might get over the line by 200+ laporta to kick 15gls

and in my match of the round murch to draw murch and d.freedman to get rubbed out for 6 weeks for hitting his head on the bar and spilling willo's drink...

Hey NTTAWWTaaa if you have a bit of cash to spare, I wouldn't mind having an even money bet on VT and Ardy but if you want to give me 15 points in, I'll take it.

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
G’day Doona
A great response with perfect rationale. Respect mate.
We can’t really blame the Clubs or for that matter; the players with credentials, as it has evolved into market forces.
The VCFL is under the wing of the AFL and one of the first cogs in this money-go-round wheel was started by the then VFL with the introduction of the 10 year rule in the early seventies. That’s how North Melbourne got their first premiership with Doug Wade, Barry Davis etc. With TV becoming involved, the money for elite footballers exploded and has filtered down ever since.

A year or so later at Longwood, farmers outside of the committee formed a coterie which paid “travelling money” to outsiders. Locals and outsiders were then paid $5 a win by the Club, plus the chance to win match day awards and presentation night bonuses.
I was Secretary then and was astounded by two incidents.
~ Two players from Melbourne travelled up each week and stayed on to contribute to the social life as well as the paid footy by the coterie.
Their third mate drank cans during the first few games then asked for $20 “travellin’” money when he decided to have a run .. even tho’ he travelled in the same car.
In those days there was only one team at Longwood .. always short on the day .. so this bloke got his wish.

~The second incident was a year later when an undermanned Leggers faced Bonnie Doon in the “near snow” on the old sloped ground. A key coterie backman rang from Melbourne to advise that he had the flu. On the Satd’y he was spotted topping up with petrol at Bonnie Doon! In his 4WD going skiing to Mt.Buller!!

So this debacle has been around for more years in footy than you and me mate, but it is now spiralling south out of control.

What is the answer we ask?
Don’t ask the VCFL because their agenda is to rationalise, (like any good{?} corporate body should do) to lead to the survival of the fittest and maintain; for instance the Bushies when the Wang Rovers play away.
One thing not on their agenda is to maintain the share in the prize of footy and netball for a town of 200 people, like Longwood, who you will see at the August 7 re-union have the best facilities in the KDFNL and an enthusiasm from “locals” all over the state for the perpetuation of country footy. A social glue for the area.

What is the answer we ask?
One answer would be to recommend players to the ATO for a review of declared income??
Whoa .. back off!!
But payments primarily come from coteries .. at least since the seventies ..and not through a Club’s books. And match day awards, which are regarded like winning Lotto as “fortunate gains” .. are usually donated by Club members. With Club’s being incorporated under the 1983 Incorporated Associations Act the committee can no longer be sued “to their bootstraps” for any untoward, under the counter activities.

But why should players receiving those sort of payments outside of the committee not be held accountable?

The response may be that a Club’s committee should have players under a signed contract.
(But also with withholding tax, Worksafe conditions liability policy, Superannuation as an employee etc. etc.)

Yes .. that happens in the TV AFL but who will monitor that in DISTRICT footy.

“Boards” in Major League footy do to a point, but that standard is a giant step for committees who run DISTRICT level footy.
The VCFL remains silent on this issue.

Doona .. I wanted to make my last post the last post but this post is my last.
John Carrot:thumbsu:
Ps Ok .. I may come back as a new poster Dame Nellie Melba if allowed. (If any of you are younger than Doona and I, you will have no idea of Dame Nellie Melba!!:confused:

Thank christ, I had to read back thru that twice ha ha ha :thumbsu:

Oh and by the way, Im only rising 34 but I am aware of who Dame Nellie Melba is ;)

Feb 6, 2010
In the middle
AFL Club
Richmond
dwyane WADE Anyway how are all clubs grounds looking at this time of year?[/quote said:
Hope the swannies have plenty of ankle strapping for Saturday. There going to need it with Nagambie oval unfortunatly having more holes in it than a block of swiss cheese.:eek:

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
ardy v vt :ardy by 15pts

the gum v lancy: Lancy by 10gls

nags v avenel : Nags by 70+ ratray to get 10+

stanhope v rushy : Rushy 7pts

tally v gig : Gig by 7gls snell bog and league medal winner after round 1

undera v longwood : Undera might get over the line by 200+ laporta to kick 15gls

and in my match of the round murch to draw murch and d.freedman to get rubbed out for 6 weeks for hitting his head on the bar and spilling willo's drink...

LOL, :D:thumbsu:, good call.

Anyway I'll do my tips for this week.

Violet Town to beat Ardmona by 34 points.

Nagambie to beat Avenel by 57 points.

Rushworth to beat Stanhope by 7 points.

Girgarre to beat Tallygaroopna by 12 points.

Lancaster to beat Merrigum by 42 points.

Undera to beat Longwood by 15+ goals (minimum), with the potential to be a lot higher if we have a clear day Saturday.

Also, you have to question the logic of having Undera facing Longwood at home in round one, because surely a better match up would be Undera playing Nagambie as a re-match of the grand final, because it would be a better game and would result in a bigger crowd for Undera's double flag unfurling.

And really could Longwood have faced Avenel or Violet Town instead of having to play against the reigning premiers for their first KDFL game ? (which on the surface looks like the greatest mis-match since the Christian XVIII played against the Lions at the Coliseum), for the same reasons why Undera should've played Nagambie in Round One (Crowd, Interest, etc.).

Anyway, I'm glad Murch gets the bye, because I needed the break between Cricket & Footy.:)

qwerty

Senior List
Aug 2, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope the swannies have plenty of ankle strapping for Saturday. There going to need it with Nagambie oval unfortunatly having more holes in it than a block of swiss cheese.:eek:

I have had a look at the Nagambie ground this week and it is not as bad as it looks.

Looks like they have put some kind of spray on it to kill off some weeds so it might take 3 or 4 weeks to get a good grass cover over the whole ground again.

One good thing is that it is soft, they must have put a power of water onto it or maybe the rain over the last month has helped.

It looks much better than the sand pit that they had there in the 2nd half of last year.

Anyone know what Rushy and Longwoods grounds are like?

boofaaa79

Senior List
Jun 30, 2008
IN THE GETTO
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
STORM,VICTORY,MAN UNITED,
Hey NTTAWWTaaa if you have a bit of cash to spare, I wouldn't mind having an even money bet on VT and Ardy but if you want to give me 15 points in, I'll take it.

Sparra my old mate I dont want to take your beer and pie money as I know its your off dole week :D

Naaaah you are on my friend!!! name your price???? and not food stamps from the salvo's :thumbsdown: either K champ!!!!!

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Make sure you blokes shake on it - nothing like a friendly wager on a country footy game, hear stories of it happening all the time years back. Whilst on the topic of funds, if this Undera/Longwood game is gunna be such a blowout, why dont Undera just save some money and only play a percentage of their best side???

Mooroopna Man

Debutant
Oct 5, 2004
Mooroopna
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Make sure you blokes shake on it - nothing like a friendly wager on a country footy game, hear stories of it happening all the time years back. Whilst on the topic of funds, if this Undera/Longwood game is gunna be such a blowout, why dont Undera just save some money and only play a percentage of their best side???

No one from Undera thinks it is going to be a blowout.

adambourke1

Rookie
Sep 21, 2008
Nagambie
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone know what Rushy and Longwoods grounds are like?

Longwoods ground won't be the best around. Murch and Tally from what I have seen and heard are the benchmarks.

We had a bit of rain which has helped, lengthened the ground a couple of metres during pre-season, it will play o.k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sparra

All Australian
Nov 16, 2005
down a dirt track
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
country footy
Sparra my old mate I dont want to take your beer and pie money as I know its your off dole week :D

Naaaah you are on my friend!!! name your price???? and not food stamps from the salvo's :thumbsdown: either K champ!!!!!

No worries NTTAWWTaaa, why don't we go the old lotto ticket around the $50 mark if you can afford it. And good luck with oneyou!

boofaaa79

Senior List
Jun 30, 2008
IN THE GETTO
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
no worries NTTAWWTaaa, why don't we go the old lotto ticket around the $50 mark if you can afford it. And good luck with oneyou!

done parra mate 50 it is and the cash is not a prob my friend......

I look forward to hearing from you after the game mate

and the u will go alright thanks bud

Jan 8, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Gum would have one of the best surfaces this year. Up there with Murch and Tally. New cooch grass has grown through the whole ground and looking a treat!

boofaaa79

Senior List
Jun 30, 2008
IN THE GETTO
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The Gum would have one of the best surfaces this year. Up there with Murch and Tally. New cooch grass has grown through the whole ground and looking a treat!

Mate I played there 2 weeks ago there is still a few patchy spots around the ground but all in all it was not a bad playing surface... You need a few more lights as it was hard to see in the night match we played :thumbsu:
All the best for the season

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
No one from Undera thinks it is going to be a blowout.

Don't be so modest MM :), although it's good that you're not getting too far ahead of yourselves:thumbsu:, In all seriousness though, I hope that all goes well for tomorrow because I can imagine it's going to be a bitter sweet day for the Undera FNC, and I would like to pass on my best wishes to all concerned.

Mooroopna Man

Debutant
Oct 5, 2004
Mooroopna
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Don't be so modest MM :), although it's good that you're not getting too far ahead of yourselves:thumbsu:, In all seriousness though, I hope that all goes well for tomorrow because I can imagine it's going to be a bitter sweet day for the Undera FNC, and I would like to pass on my best wishes to all concerned.

Thanks Cletus and all the best to everyones teams tomorrow.

R

Terry

Dec 21, 2009
The Kitchen
AFL Club
North Melbourne
John, I am still trying to decipher (Catch you up at training Tuesday mate) however; after reading earlier posts and there's quite a few, I would like to extend the invitation for any bigfooty blogger who has a question or rumour, ineundo or a fact in issue re: Longwood FNC, that I will endeavour to get a factual response back to you quickly.

Hopefully now with round one only days away, everyones focus (escepicially the home teams) is on putting an entertaining game of bush footy on for the fans in a family friendly environment. With the away teams returning the favour in due course.

Cheers

Hey Bourkey,
How you and the boys gunna go against the might of UNDERA? From what I have read on these pages you guys are gunna get absolutley pumped.

If we were to put it into perspective, or at least relative terms, if you pay a s**t load of money for imports you would want to see them perform.

So this takes me to the point that WHO has got more to lose outta todays match. The Redlegs or The over priced UNDERA?

sparra

All Australian
Nov 16, 2005
down a dirt track
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
country footy
Hey Bourkey,
How you and the boys gunna go against the might of UNDERA? From what I have read on these pages you guys are gunna get absolutley pumped.

If we were to put it into perspective, or at least relative terms, if you pay a s**t load of money for imports you would want to see them perform.

So this takes me to the point that WHO has got more to lose outta todays match. The Redlegs or The over priced UNDERA?

foodforthought = No Idea

Welcome to the real world

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
All the best with that Tatts ticket Sparra, was a no contest as most expected, except of course for one person!

hank1

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2004
Stanhope
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tongala
Ardmona def. by Violet Town Ardmona Recreation Reserve 6.6-42......21.22-148

Merrigum def. by Lancaster Merigum Recreation Reserve 5.4-34......15.16-106

Nagambie def. Avenel Nagambie Recreation Reserve 28.12-180.....14.6-90

Stanhope def. Rushworth Stanhope Recreation Reserve 17.14-116......8.8-56

Tallygaroopna def. Girgarre Tallygaroopna Recreation Reserve 14.16-100....12.8-80

Undera def. Longwood Undera Recreation Reserve 18.16-124....2.0-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back