cosby

All Australian
Oct 3, 2005
the Ponds
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Well, we have our own little forum now guys, so instead of cramming everything into one or two threads how about we discuss the state of play for all the grounds in here.

As stated in the main thread, Lancasters ground should be no worries for the year as it gets flood irrigated and I've been told we are allowed to have up to 8 seperate waterings for the year.
Not 100% on it, but it seems we should be ok for league games by round 1( whether that round be taken back or not).

Hows everyone elses grounds shaping up?

zero2hero

Debutant
Feb 4, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, we have our own little forum now guys, so instead of cramming everything into one or two threads how about we discuss the state of play for all the grounds in here.

As stated in the main thread, Lancasters ground should be no worries for the year as it gets flood irrigated and I've been told we are allowed to have up to 8 seperate waterings for the year.
Not 100% on it, but it seems we should be ok for league games by round 1( whether that round be taken back or not).

Hows everyone elses grounds shaping up?
I play cricket at avenel and the ground is firm but quite green and good considering the dry conditions. Will be cherryripe for rd. 1 i'd say:thumbsu:

smoothgroova

Debutant
Jan 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Undera ground isn't looking good, but it never does. I am suprised they got an interleague game there. Close to worst ground and facilities in the league

Feb 6, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Undera ground isn't looking good, but it never does. I am suprised they got an interleague game there. Close to worst ground and facilities in the league

Haven't seen their ground since the interleague game last year and it was ordinary then, and that's just the playing surface. Don't get me started on their facilities. Their scoreboard and away change rooms are up there with the worst in the league. Maybe they could spend a bit more money upgrading than buying players to take them from 10th to 8th on the ladder.

bluey99

Rookie
Jan 24, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
nothing wrong with the ground and can tell you now undera would be spending way less than most other clubs. some good players playing for nothing and others who would get a lot more else where if thats what they were after.so get ya facts right mate.

JD No7

Debutant
Jan 29, 2007
HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
there ground may look good, but they have one of the worst wickets in the comp, they will get a final, b reserve.

Tough call that one from what i've seen around the area all wickets seem as ordinary as each other it would have to be out of gig and stanhope. But I dont think anyone has to worry about the ground for footy unless the Field days has an adverse effect on the ground with no rain.

Peter Dyson

Debutant
Jan 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Saw the Stanhope ground on the weekend and it looks good should get cricket finals

I haven't seen the Stanhope ground for a few years but it was always a great playing surface. Nice and flat and a great coverage of grass. As for cricket finals??? not sure about that. In the past you'd never know what sort of wicket you'd get when you got there, they'd change that much from week to week, usually it depended on whethere Stanhope were batting or bowling as to how much work it got during the week. I couldn't imagine any finals being played there but who knows....wasn't there some sort of issue with the Under 17's final out there last year? something to do with the wicket not being adequately covered or something?

Has the drought affected many grounds in the area or will they all be right to go by round 1?

On The Money

All Australian
Dec 9, 2005
Palm Beach
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bulldogs
OTM, hows the Stanhope ground looking?
Just_Signed, Rushy?

90% of the ground is excellent Cosby although very hard on the outside of the ground and a bare patch in one pocket. The only problem is that the Field days held prior to the season always knocks it around and takes a few weeks to get back in order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smoothgroova

Debutant
Jan 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
nothing wrong with the ground and can tell you now undera would be spending way less than most other clubs. some good players playing for nothing and others who would get a lot more else where if thats what they were after.so get ya facts right mate.

You are kidding yourself Bluey99. There is plenty worng with the ground and Undera are still spending plenty of $$$. I know for a fact that you won the bid for your A/C.

big tony

Team Captain
Nov 1, 2005
Club Jism
AFL Club
Essendon
the kdfl went round and inspected the ovals on sunday and said that all grounds will be right to go at the start of the season accept lancaster!!

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
That's suprising that only Lancaster's ground's not deemed to be adequate, because Undera's ground looked very bare the last time I saw it (Like Lancaster's, but that's what you get when you don't have cricket played on your grounds during the summer).

And what about Violet Town ?, the whole town's on Stage 4 Water Retrictions at the moment, unless they are using bore water, or using recycled water, how are they watering their ground ?.

And I know that Rushy & Merrigum always have trouble getting enough water on their ground (and they have never been great grounds to play on during the cricket season), so unless we start getting some of god's tears soon, the draw will have to be re-jigged.

BTW, Rushy may as well us Murch's ground, at least it might get used a bit more.

flamin homer!

Rookie
Nov 6, 2006
koondrook
AFL Club
Carlton
I did hear Rushy will be right. They have a clause which allows them to fill two rainwater tanks with townwater, which they can then pump onto there ground, it mightn be much, but better than nothin.
I didnt think you would be able to do this.

King Kieran

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2007
Country Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Had a bit of a jog round rushy's ground this morning, they had the sprinkers going, really just watering the dirt at the moment, not much grass on it, but if they they can keep the water on it it wont be too bad i suppose, but im not sure how often they can water it.

bluey99

Rookie
Jan 24, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's suprising that only Lancaster's ground's not deemed to be adequate, because Undera's ground looked very bare the last time I saw it (Like Lancaster's, but that's what you get when you don't have cricket played on your grounds during the summer).
u mustn't of seen it for a while. i cant believe everybody bagging this ground. obviously murch has the best but without being biased i reckon undera would just about be second best.

cosby

All Australian
Oct 3, 2005
the Ponds
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Bluey, obviously something has happened to the ground in the off season if you truly believe that as it would be far from one of the best grounds in the KDL.
Tally, Murch, Gig, Lancaster, Stanhope would all have better grass cover than Undera.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back