Toast Keath to be upgraded and debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't this be more a Brett Burton football operations decision than a Reid List Management decision?
Either way, two inexperienced operators. Let's hope we haven't tripped ourselves up here. Especially with Talia, Otten and Hartigan all with niggles or under injury clouds.

So 39 only allows for 2 players to be upgraded.
Beech and Greenwood?
Maybe try to think about it as you are allowed a maximum of 40 players on your primary list at the start of the season. Mid season you are allowed to upgrade 1 player to your primary list. Players that that are placed onto the LTI list are removed from the primary list for the duration of their treatment and rehabilitation. When the player on the LTI list is ready to play again, the club needs to reinstate him to the primary list.

We started with 39 players on the primary list. CEY and Curtley Hampton were placed on the LTI list. Jono Beech was the mid-season upgrade. Hugh Greenwood was upgraded with place on the primary list vacated by CEY. Alex Keath was upgraded with Curtley Hampton's place on the primary list.

Based on these moves, there should still be 1 place left on the primary list. I am not 100% sure whether or not there is the potential for curve balls in relation to the rules stating that there needs to be direct replacement of player for player.

Reading articles published last year even recruiters weren't 100% sure of how the rules worked in regard to rookies going into last years draft.

Last edited:
Maybe try to think about it as you are allowed a maximum of 40 players on your primary list at the start of the season. Mid season you are allowed to upgrade 1 player to your primary list. Players that that are placed onto the LTI list are removed from the primary list for the duration of their treatment and rehabilitation. When the player on the LTI list is ready to play again, the club needs to reinstate him to the primary list.

We started with 39 players on the primary list. CEY and Curtley Hampton were placed on the LTI list. Jono Beech was the mid-season upgrade. Hugh Greenwood was upgraded with place on the primary list vacated by CEY. Alex Keath was upgraded with Curtley Hampton place on the primary list.

Based on these moves, there should still be 1 place left on the primary list. I am not 100% sure whether or not there is the potential for curve balls in relation to the rules stating that there needs to be direct replacement of player for player.

Reading articles published last year even recruiters weren't 100% sure of how the rules worked in regard to rookies going into last years draft.

Yes excellent this is the way I understood it last night.

The only thing that has led to me otherwise is that Malcolm Ashwood from Facebook, has contacted the club and they of the belief that Keath would need to go back onto the Rookie List.
Now you may say who is Malcolm Ashwood, but he has a fairly good reputation for doing his due diligence, I hope he's wrong and is making up crap or didn't fully probe correctly for a good answer, but seems unlikely.

What is the rule with vacant list spots? Do they mean you can just upgrade a rookie whenever you want?

One thing that does come to mind is Port at the beginning of the season upgraded Brett Eddy to their senior list despite having no long term injuries but they did have 1 or 2 list spots available. I think it's actually 2 list spots available as Houston I believe was also upgraded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the rule with vacant list spots? Do they mean you can just upgrade a rookie whenever you want?
No

10.16 Nominated Rookies
(a) Eligible Club
A Club, if it has:
(i) 39 Players on its Primary List, is eligible to nominate one (1) Rookie
Player; or
(ii) 38 Players on its Primary List, is eligible to nominate two (2) Rookie
Players,
under this Rule and it otherwise satisfies the requirements of this Rule at any
time after the conclusion of the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting and before
2.00pm on the Tuesday after the Pre-Season Grand Final
by lodging with the
AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 36. Player contracts are also to
be lodged with the AFL on or before this date.

I believe the Nominated Rookie is all about Player payments, which is why Beech would be the Nominated rookie less effect on the Cap. But that was only done after they decide to Promote Keath to the main list for Hampton
Greenwood came in for CEY,
In Short, Nominated Rookie all the wage are added to the Cap, LTI it only the match payments that are added to the Cap, Which is why it looks like a dogs breakfast.

Technical the Crows have not used one of the Nominated rookie spots.
The longer Keath is aligned with Hampton the less effect it has on the Cap meaning extra room in the Cap for next year
Note any Cap not used this year can roll into the next year rinse and repeat for 2019
Again the rules are a dog Breakfast but at the end of the day Cap wise the Crow aligns their rookie upgrades to LTI first then use the Nominated rookie last
Vader could you check this as well I may be wrong and another set of eyes would be good.

surely at worst we just say 'sorry Curtly, get ready for pre season'

but hopefully it doesn't come to that

but if a choice of an unproven mid back from 3 months off vs a guy who has almost cemented himself in the side as a KPD then it's a no brainer

No

10.16 Nominated Rookies
(a) Eligible Club
A Club, if it has:
(i) 39 Players on its Primary List, is eligible to nominate one (1) Rookie
Player; or
(ii) 38 Players on its Primary List, is eligible to nominate two (2) Rookie
Players,
under this Rule and it otherwise satisfies the requirements of this Rule at any
time after the conclusion of the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting and before
2.00pm on the Tuesday after the Pre-Season Grand Final
by lodging with the
AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 36. Player contracts are also to
be lodged with the AFL on or before this date.

Believe that rule was modified because of a glaring mistake, there is no Pre-Season Grand Final. just not too sure on whether it aligned to a date or Cap space. for full wage payments.

surely at worst we just say 'sorry Curtly, get ready for pre season'

but hopefully it doesn't come to that

but if a choice of an unproven mid back from 3 months off vs a guy who has almost cemented himself in the side as a KPD then it's a no brainer
You still think he needs a preseason before he can cement his spot?;)
Being tongue in cheek there, but I do agree with another preseason he could be one of the very best CHBs we have ever had.

That may be the case but I'm 99.9% confident that the nominated rookie has to be nominated before Round 1. We didn't do that.
Rule 26.1 (b) is related to LTI list

(c) Primary List during AFL Season

A Player included on a Club’s Rookie List shall not be promoted onto the Primary List of an AFL Club during the Home and Away Matches or while it continues to compete in the Finals Series save and except under Rule 26.1(b) or where an AFL Club demonstrates to the AFL that there are exceptional and compelling circumstances that make it harsh and unconscionable for a Rookie not to be promoted onto that AFL Club’s Primary List and where to do so would not result in that AFL Club exceeding the maximum number of Players on its Primary List.

(d) Maintain Primary List

Where a Club applies to the AFL to transfer a Player from its Rookie List onto its Primary List in accordance with Rule 10.11(b), it must de-list a Player from its Primary List if that is necessary to ensure that the Club does not exceed the number of Players it is able to retain on its Primary List as required under Rule 5.3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back