News Keays and Strachan sign contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Two years for Keays

One year for Strachan

It's not clear if Keays will stay rookie listed or not
Love it for Keays, well earned and a great example of a kid who took his opportunity when it finally came up!

Strachan is one I didn't expect. They must see something in him that I don't. But good for him for getting a gig next year. Plenty of people wont be so lucky around the AFL.

Love it for Keays, well earned and a great example of a kid who took his opportunity when it finally came up!

Strachan is one I didn't expect. They must see something in him that I don't. But good for him for getting a gig next year. Plenty of people wont be so lucky around the AFL.

I agree the Strachan extension is a little odd, but maybe they don't rate the backup ruck market this year at all

Strachan shouldn't have been extended, what's the point in having a player that can't play AFL level footy on your list.. list clogger.

I would rather us draft another rookie ruck and see if they will succeed as our back up ruck.

These are the harsh list changes that need to be made to rebuild successfully.

Keays deserved it.

Good to see we've locked up Keays, and two years seems an ideal length for both parties at this juncture.

Yeah, I'm ok with signing on Strachan for another. Covers the back-up/SANFL ruck for another year, just in case ROB goes down.

Good to see we've locked up Keays, and two years seems an ideal length for both parties at this juncture.

Yeah, I'm ok with signing on Strachan for another. Covers the back-up/SANFL ruck for another year, just in case ROB goes down.

This would be a scary thought having Strachan as our main ruck if ROB goes down, I don't think we will be winning many games lol.

Well done, Keays. Proved me wrong; I though his poor kicking in his first couple of games meant he wouldn’t make it.

Strachan looked trash in his debut and is no baby; must be absolutely nothing in the state leagues. Hopefully there’s more to him.

This would be a scary thought having Strachan as our main ruck if ROB goes down, I don't think we will be winning many games lol.

We won't be, regardless.

You only need a body in the ruck to give a contest and take some marks around the ground as the absolute worst case with the position. Strachan can do that if we're in a pinch. Similar to Graham/Lowden could have. Now let's all hope that comment isn't proven correct next year.

Strachan? What is the rush? Surely he is one of those you extend or delist at the latest possible time.
They must know the list sizes for next year, and it won't be a massive reduction next year, gradually over a few maybe?

Two years for Keays

One year for Strachan

It's not clear if Keays will stay rookie listed or not
Well done for Keays. Deserved it. Strachan is garbage. Will likely never play another game for us. Waste of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strachan? What is the rush? Surely he is one of those you extend or delist at the latest possible time.
They must know the list sizes for next year, and it won't be a massive reduction next year, gradually over a few maybe?

Why would you hold a spot for a player that won't ever play AFL level footy? Move on, next.. It's a harsh industry and we need to be ruthless in trying to pick the best available potential talent.

The smart decision is to draft any rookie with potential, the upside is massive if they pull it off.

Imagine us holding Strachan for an extra year and we miss out on picking up a Peter Ladhams type player.

I don't think too many making the unkind comments re Strachan have actually been watching his SANFL games....He was obviously coming off a low fitness base having suffered a badly broken ankle in the VFL mid season 2018 and continued to improve as the year went on. How people can make an informed opinion on just his debut AFL game is beyond the pale. He's better than a lot think, especially when we're talking a break glass emergency back up.

However I would dearly like us to follow our neighbour down the road's path and draft a youngster to develop from scratch and this year's draft offers an excellent opportunity to do just that via local athletic 202cm WWT Forward/Ruck Henry Smith who will not cost a whole lot draft pick wise if I'm any judge....likely pick him up with a late pick.

Why would you hold a spot for a player that won't ever play AFL level footy? Move on, next.. It's a harsh industry and we need to be ruthless in trying to pick the best available potential talent.

The smart decision is to draft any rookie with potential, the upside is massive if they pull it off.

Imagine us holding Strachan for an extra year and we miss out on picking up a Peter Ladhams type player.

You can always draft a ruck as well, they take ages to develop if you're going for a kid.

You can always draft a ruck as well, they take ages to develop if you're going for a kid.

I understand, but why have ROB, Strachan, Frampton, Himmelberg.. and then draft another ruck.

I would use Frampton & Himmelberg before Strachan as a back up ruck..

I don't agree with the Strauchan decision. I'd rather they drafted a young ruck like Harry Smith that at least MIGHT amount to something. You still have Frampton as a "break glass" option.

They're obviously not doing that. I'm REALLY concerned that we're not going to cut enough players this off season. I'd be very worried if I was one of our NGAs.

I don't agree with the Strauchan decision. I'd rather they drafted a young ruck like Harry Smith that at least MIGHT amount to something. You still have Frampton as a "break glass" option.

They're obviously not doing that. I'm REALLY concerned that we're not going to cut enough players this off season. I'd be very worried if I was one of our NGAs.
At Least get his name right, he doesn't come down for breakfast if you call out Harry...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back