News Keays and Strachan sign contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with the Strauchan decision. I'd rather they drafted a young ruck like Harry Smith that at least MIGHT amount to something. You still have Frampton as a "break glass" option.

They're obviously not doing that. I'm REALLY concerned that we're not going to cut enough players this off season. I'd be very worried if I was one of our NGAs.
I agree, would have much rather we drafted a young ruck in and let them develop over the next few years. I don't see Strachan as a long term option, only ever as a backup. So why keep him on the list if he will only ever be a backup? We can use Frampton as the last resort if ROB goes down and the developing ruck isn't ready.

Maybe we are planning on drafting a developing ruck and keeping Strachan on for a year to give them a chance to find their feet? Not sure if we can afford to have Strachan and a developing ruck on the list with the reduced list sizes though.

I don't agree with the Strauchan decision. I'd rather they drafted a young ruck like Harry Smith that at least MIGHT amount to something. You still have Frampton as a "break glass" option.

They're obviously not doing that. I'm REALLY concerned that we're not going to cut enough players this off season. I'd be very worried if I was one of our NGAs.

I think its an indicator that list sides aren't dropping too heavily this off-season (if at all, as this is getting way too late to make a decision on it). That said, Strauchan doesn't impact list spots for the main draft, seeing he's a rookie pick and that didn't get any indication we're upgrading him. Especially as someone like Harry Smith wouldn't even be at the point he'd be a semi-capable backup, seeing he's 20 kg under where he needs to be.

That said, Keays certainly impacts the amount of people we need to cut, though I'm also pretty certain we went under the maximum allowed list spots for the main list in 2019?

I would say with a good degree of certainty, everyone who is currently without a contract is either going to get delisted, or in Galluccis case, probably get demoted down to the rookie list. That gives 8 list spots (+ Atkins + 3 freed up from the rookie draft (Crocker, Taylor, Wilson) if list sizes do not go lower)

I agree, would have much rather we drafted a young ruck in and let them develop over the next few years. I don't see Strachan as a long term option, only ever as a backup. So why keep him on the list if he will only ever be a backup? We can use Frampton as the last resort if ROB goes down and the developing ruck isn't ready.

Maybe we are planning on drafting a developing ruck and keeping Strachan on for a year to give them a chance to find their feet? Not sure if we can afford to have Strachan and a developing ruck on the list with the reduced list sizes though.
First of all congratulations to both, Ben Keays has had as good a season as could have been expected and the new deal is well deserved, as for Kieren Strachan, he showed a fair bit of improvement in 2019 in the SANFL and this season not having the seconds playing really hurt him.

I think we have gone with the ignore the one AFL game performance and kept him for insurance and to see if he continues to improve, at 204cm it is worth it, but I also believe we will try and develop a young ruck as well, as everyone can see guys this size really need time and patience, and a chance to play consistently!

First of all congratulations to both, Ben Keays has had as good a season as could have been expected and the new deal is well deserved, as for Kieren Strachan, he showed a fair bit of improvement in 2019 in the SANFL and this season not having the seconds playing really hurt him.

I think we have gone with the ignore the one AFL game performance and kept him for insurance and to see if he continues to improve, at 204cm it is worth it, but I also believe we will try and develop a young ruck as well, as everyone can see guys this size really need time and patience, and a chance to play consistently!
This especially with Strachan.

I don't think too many making the unkind comments re Strachan have actually been watching his SANFL games....He was obviously coming off a low fitness base having suffered a badly broken ankle in the VFL mid season 2018 and continued to improve as the year went on. How people can make an informed opinion on just his debut AFL game is beyond the pale. He's better than a lot think, especially when we're talking a break glass emergency back up.

However I would dearly like us to follow our neighbour down the road's path and draft a youngster to develop from scratch and this year's draft offers an excellent opportunity to do just that via local athletic 202cm WWT Forward/Ruck Henry Smith who will not cost a whole lot draft pick wise if I'm any judge....likely pick him up with a late pick.

I agree 100%. Well said.

However I would dearly like us to follow our neighbour down the road's path and draft a youngster to develop from scratch and this year's draft offers an excellent opportunity to do just that via local athletic 202cm WWT Forward/Ruck Henry Smith who will not cost a whole lot draft pick wise if I'm any judge....likely pick him up with a late pick.
I don't know why the club is so averse to doing this. It's a low risk for potentially high reward scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the Strachan extension an indicator we won't be taking Tilthorpe?

Wouldn’t have thought so. If anything I think it possibly shows clubs are expecting minimal list reduction this year but perhaps a bit more next year. A one year deal means Thilthorpe has protection in Sanfl next year ( or whatever we are playing), with he and Frampton as the forwards - and then Strachan can be delisted easily with list reduction?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very glad to see Keays given a reward for a good season

As to Strachan - ehh no biggie
Sauce only wished he could have had a season like ROB.
Past history now. Long live ROB. Strachan, break glass measure. Nothing lost.

You may be right but surely that means they'll take McDonald. They won't pass on two tall mobile forwards at the top of this draft, will they?
Unlikely. O'Driscoll flagged that we are most likely looking at McDonald at 1 and the club has been talking to his parents about keeping the mates together. May cost him getting drafted by us. Maybe that was his strategy anyway or he's just dumb.

Hearing a lot of People knock Strachan, and some even saying they would Frampton and Himmelberg before him as back up ruck
Well got new for you Strachan at this time is 2nd best ruck on the Crows List, Then a bit of Daylight Followed by Frampton then, Himmelberg
And I base this after spending a lot of time watching all 3 in the SANFL,

I understand, but why have ROB, Strachan, Frampton, Himmelberg.. and then draft another ruck.

I would use Frampton & Himmelberg before Strachan as a back up ruck..

Himmelberg isn't a ruckman's ar$ehole. You can chuck him in there for 5 minutes a quarter to give ROB a break, but you're not going to play him there full time if ROB is injured.

I'd actually forgotten Frampton was on the list :p But yeah, he'll do as the fallback option - even less point to keeping Strachan now.

Well done, Keays. Proved me wrong; I though his poor kicking in his first couple of games meant he wouldn’t make it.

Strachan looked trash in his debut and is no baby; must be absolutely nothing in the state leagues. Hopefully there’s more to him.

When clubs are fighting to pick up Tom Hickey, keeping Strachan makes sense. Would be on peanuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back