News Keays and Strachan sign contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing a lot of People knock Strachan, and some even saying they would Frampton and Himmelberg before him as back up ruck
Well got new for you Strachan at this time is 2nd best ruck on the Crows List, Then a bit of Daylight Followed by Frampton then, Himmelberg
And I base this after spending a lot of time watching all 3 in the SANFL,

Leaving Himmelberg out of it (there's more to being a ruckman than just being tall, and he's no ruckman), the main difference between Frampton and Strachan is that Frampton is contracted and Strachan isn't. He may be the next best behind ROB, but it's a distant second. The question is more around is it worth giving him another year or taking a punt on drafting somebody else? Frampton we're stuck with for a couple more years due to his contract status.

Himmelberg isn't a ruckman's ar$ehole. You can chuck him in there for 5 minutes a quarter to give ROB a break, but you're not going to play him there full time if ROB is injured.

I'd actually forgotten Frampton was on the list :p But yeah, he'll do as the fallback option - even less point to keeping Strachan now.

The berg has played ruck minutes, I would play him before Strachan lol.

Leaving Himmelberg out of it (there's more to being a ruckman than just being tall, and he's no ruckman), the main difference between Frampton and Strachan is that Frampton is contracted and Strachan isn't. He may be the next best behind ROB, but it's a distant second. The question is more around is it worth giving him another year or taking a punt on drafting somebody else? Frampton we're stuck with for a couple more years due to his contract status.
Well, the People Close to the Football club-like Nicks and Clarke must see something, and as a replacement for ROB if he gets injured it Strachan then Frampton, Also Strachan would be if they played this year one of the better Rucks in the SANFL.
And it one year on the rookie list, not a big hassle, for the comfort of having a ready to go Back up Ruck trained in your system.

Unlikely. O'Driscoll flagged that we are most likely looking at McDonald at 1 and the club has been talking to his parents about keeping the mates together. May cost him getting drafted by us. Maybe that was his strategy anyway or he's just dumb.
Just heard Kevin Sheahan talking about McDonald on SEN. Said he was superb at WA Combine & has the athleticism of Nick Riewoldt who he models his game on. Grab him Crows - I wonder if Riley Thilthorpe's groin issues will drop him slightly down the priority list?

I'm quietly confident that Keays will end up being a solid best-22 player for us. Have been following him for a fair few years and just feel as though he has enough talent and workrate.

My comment on the day he debutted for the club. Gonna give myself a pat on the back.

Since Keays is a 2 year extension does that means hes being upgraded.
Unsure as Butts received a 2-year deal last year and remains on the rookie list. However in saying that One would assume Keays would be on a higher pay scale than the base Rookie wage for the next 2 years so I am predicting he is on the main list.

I think its an indicator that list sides aren't dropping too heavily this off-season (if at all, as this is getting way too late to make a decision on it). That said, Strauchan doesn't impact list spots for the main draft, seeing he's a rookie pick and that didn't get any indication we're upgrading him. Especially as someone like Harry Smith wouldn't even be at the point he'd be a semi-capable backup, seeing he's 20 kg under where he needs to be.

That said, Keays certainly impacts the amount of people we need to cut, though I'm also pretty certain we went under the maximum allowed list spots for the main list in 2019?

I would say with a good degree of certainty, everyone who is currently without a contract is either going to get delisted, or in Galluccis case, probably get demoted down to the rookie list. That gives 8 list spots (+ Atkins + 3 freed up from the rookie draft (Crocker, Taylor, Wilson) if list sizes do not go lower)

HENRY Smith recently missed 10 weeks with a posterior knee strain, during his down time he managed to put on 15 kgs plus his actual height is now 204 cms.
For his height, he is quite good at ground level and always applies numerous tackles. He is no mug up forward, plays CHF for the EAGLES U18s. I see a lot more in him than Strachan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The berg has played ruck minutes, I would play him before Strachan lol.
The Berg would struggle to play a full game in ruck and would need a chop out, he was gasping after short stints this year, Also the constant clash of bodies would soon see him on the injury list,
But more importantly he just starting to show something as a forward so why would you,

HENRY Smith recently missed 10 weeks with a posterior knee strain, during his down time he managed to put on 15 kgs plus his actual height is now 204 cms.
For his height, he is quite good at ground level and always applies numerous tackles. He is no mug up forward, plays CHF for the EAGLES U18s. I see a lot more in him than Strachan.

My eyes widened at that, if it ends up being true.

Surely there are health/athletic repercussions for adding so much muscle mass in such a short amount of time?

The Berg would struggle to play a full game in ruck and would need a chop out, he was gasping after short stints this year, Also the constant clash of bodies would soon see him on the injury list,
But more importantly he just starting to show something as a forward so why would you,

Spot on. Considering 'Berg as a backup ruck is utter madness at this point in time.

Indeed. But what a dick to predict it - just hours before the club announces his extension,
Opposition supporters are clinging to the notion that everybody at the Crows must be disgruntled. Would have made some sense last year but in 2020 it's just wishful thinking on their part.

Not necessarily, it's a one-year contract and it's not like Tilthorpe would play much ruck in his first year.

I wouldn't have thought a one year contract for a fringe ruckman would have any bearing on who we select with pick 1

Great game. Huge jump in players since it went free to play.
There is some toxicity in the fan base unfortunately. I'm not one of those people though. You attract more bees with honey than vinegar and I've never understood why some people feel the need to berate their own team mates.

Strachan shouldn't have been extended, what's the point in having a player that can't play AFL level footy on your list.. list clogger.

I would rather us draft another rookie ruck and see if they will succeed as our back up ruck.

These are the harsh list changes that need to be made to rebuild successfully.

Keays deserved it.

Strachan was ok in the ruck when played hopelessly out of position. He's a decent enough back up ruck option if ROB misses. I'd guess he's better than what else is available for a similar price. Salary cap doesn't open up until 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back