News Keays and Strachan sign contract extensions

There is some toxicity in the fan base unfortunately. I'm not one of those people though. You attract more bees with honey than vinegar and I've never understood why some people feel the need to berate their own team mates.

Probably the same reason why we feel the need to abuse each other on here when we all support the same side.

But yeah, there were a lot of w***ers playing that game. Best to turn all chat functions off.

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is some toxicity in the fan base unfortunately. I'm not one of those people though. You attract more bees with honey than vinegar and I've never understood why some people feel the need to berate their own team mates.

Yeah that is certainly the worst part of the game. Fair bet many of the toxic players have never played a team sport before.

I usually get people blaming me for their own stuff ups or just pure random throwing.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Yeah that is certainly the worst part of the game. Fair bet many of the toxic players have never played a team sport before.

I usually get people blaming me for their own stuff ups or just pure random throwing.
Seems to get worse the lower you go in the ranks. I dropped from Diamond to Platinum one time and people in plat were assholes who were completely oblivious to their own mistakes. I don't mind taking s**t if my teammate is playing much better than me but it's hard to take when your team mate sucks and is completely oblivious to basic positioning.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I think its an indicator that list sides aren't dropping too heavily this off-season (if at all, as this is getting way too late to make a decision on it). That said, Strauchan doesn't impact list spots for the main draft, seeing he's a rookie pick and that didn't get any indication we're upgrading him. Especially as someone like Harry Smith wouldn't even be at the point he'd be a semi-capable backup, seeing he's 20 kg under where he needs to be.

That said, Keays certainly impacts the amount of people we need to cut, though I'm also pretty certain we went under the maximum allowed list spots for the main list in 2019?

I would say with a good degree of certainty, everyone who is currently without a contract is either going to get delisted, or in Galluccis case, probably get demoted down to the rookie list. That gives 8 list spots (+ Atkins + 3 freed up from the rookie draft (Crocker, Taylor, Wilson) if list sizes do not go lower)
Who is this Harry Smith lad you guys keep mentioning?
I've not seen him play...

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
HENRY Smith recently missed 10 weeks with a posterior knee strain, during his down time he managed to put on 15 kgs plus his actual height is now 204 cms.
For his height, he is quite good at ground level and always applies numerous tackles. He is no mug up forward, plays CHF for the EAGLES U18s. I see a lot more in him than Strachan.
So do I, but he's 2 to 3 years away from rucking in the AFL, might at a pinch play some forward time before then as he is great overhead and pretty mobile for a big lad still growing into his body and usually a reasonable set shot kick.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Oh geez, is Strachan about to turn into the next Paul Hunter

Like sure, if we don’t rate the mature age rucks in this draft then sure, but I don’t really see the point of this, he’s not gonna play many more AFL games, if any at all

Keays re-signing is great but was always going to happen

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jeez, people are acting like Strachan is getting a 500k deal. It is a one year, bare bones back up contract. Guy looked pretty decent in a few matches at SANFL I watched.

Thought he was ok at AFL level when rucking. Went horribly as a key forward, but competed ok in the ruck for a first attempt at the level.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thought he was ok at AFL level when rucking. Went horribly as a key forward, but competed ok in the ruck for a first attempt at the level.

He looked extra bad as a forward because we stacked our forward line with talls that match. TBH, I'd rather have him rucking than Frampton ( and not just because I am sick of Derwayne saying "Frampton comes alive" like he is the first person to have associated Billy with the joke...* he is such a * head) because he looks like a ruck first/forward second.

He looked extra bad as a forward because we stacked our forward line with talls that match. TBH, I'd rather have him rucking than Frampton ( and not just because I am sick of Derwayne saying "Frampton comes alive" like he is the first person to have associated Billy with the joke...fu** he is such a fu** head) because he looks like a ruck first/forward second.

It is hard to believe Derwayne used to be a cop. Too many batons to the head in training.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wasn't that impressed with Keays when he first started, but what won me over was he actually played like he gave a Sh&t when the team were losing and more senior experienced players were just sulking.

Every team needs a great role player with an unflappable attitude that you can rely on when the chips are down to just do their job. Keays is that type of player for us.

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems to get worse the lower you go in the ranks. I dropped from Diamond to Platinum one time and people in plat were assholes who were completely oblivious to their own mistakes. I don't mind taking sh*t if my teammate is playing much better than me but it's hard to take when your team mate sucks and is completely oblivious to basic positioning.

The funniest thing is they act like they are grand Champions.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Good to see we've locked up Keays, and two years seems an ideal length for both parties at this juncture.

Yeah, I'm ok with signing on Strachan for another. Covers the back-up/SANFL ruck for another year, just in case ROB goes down.

That footage of ROB getting his knee 'unlocked' by the physio hints at the fact his body has taken a toll over the years.

Like many have mentioned, you need a ruck in the twos, if not only as a backup, but to give your Ressies mids something to work with at that level also rather than having to shark the oppo ruck each week. The setups in the ones and twos would be similar as as ROB is competitive in the ones you may as well train and play your ressies mids in the same vein.

Onya Kizza :thumbsu:

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He looked extra bad as a forward because we stacked our forward line with talls that match. TBH, I'd rather have him rucking than Frampton ( and not just because I am sick of Derwayne saying "Frampton comes alive" like he is the first person to have associated Billy with the joke...fu** he is such a fu** head) because he looks like a ruck first/forward second.

Pretty hard for 3 key forwards to all have strong games. And that's assuming they're all quality. Much harder when one is a ruckman doing a poor impersonation of a key forward. Mystifying late in that one. But happy to have seen him do a bit of ruckwork.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wasn't that impressed with Keays when he first started, but what won me over was he actually played like he gave a Sh&t when the team were losing and more senior experienced players were just sulking.

Every team needs a great role player with an unflappable attitude that you can rely on when the chips are down to just do their job. Keays is that type of player for us.

His first game was absolutely deplorable, worse than Crocker that day. But we backed him in for a block and he improved every week.

Back