News Keays and Strachan sign contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't that impressed with Keays when he first started, but what won me over was he actually played like he gave a Sh&t when the team were losing and more senior experienced players were just sulking.

Every team needs a great role player with an unflappable attitude that you can rely on when the chips are down to just do their job. Keays is that type of player for us.
Me too

Saw him get smothered a couple of times oblivious to what was around him and thought Great another one of these guys. Wrote him off much much too early

He got better and better as the season wore on. Showed up most of our guys. Won the ball against good midfields. And crucially seemed to cope ok when he was outside the centre square. Crouch, Crouch, Sloane all struggle MASSIVELY with this which is one of the reasons our midfield is so one dimensional. They are centre square or bench guys which doesn't leave much room for anyone else. It's a direct reason that Jones and co have to park at half forward permanently.

Keays spent time on the wing and was still heavily involved in the games.

That footage of ROB getting his knee 'unlocked' by the physio hints at the fact his body has taken a toll over the years.

Like many have mentioned, you need a ruck in the twos, if not only as a backup, but to give your Ressies mids something to work with at that level also rather than having to shark the oppo ruck each week. The setups in the ones and twos would be similar as as ROB is competitive in the ones you may as well train and play your ressies mids in the same vein.

Onya Kizza :thumbsu:
And your #1 ruckman needs someone to ruck against at training too.

That footage of ROB getting his knee 'unlocked' by the physio hints at the fact his body has taken a toll over the years.

Like many have mentioned, you need a ruck in the twos, if not only as a backup, but to give your Ressies mids something to work with at that level also rather than having to shark the oppo ruck each week. The setups in the ones and twos would be similar as as ROB is competitive in the ones you may as well train and play your ressies mids in the same vein.

Onya Kizza :thumbsu:

Reallybwant to find that footage again.

So are they going to be upgraded to the main list on draft night? Or have their rookie deals been extended?

And your #1 ruckman needs someone to ruck against at training too.

Absolutely.

In an ideal football club environment there'd be pressure on every spot on the ground. ROB has blossomed having to 'fight' Sauce for his spot over the years and obviously had his best year of footy. Now ROB needs to become Sauce with the understudies fighting to take his spot and so on etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually thinking something similar - that this signing is pretty strong indication that we're more interested in McDonald than Thilthorpe.
Or Holland is our target and McDonald is only if we get pick 2 and we are not confident Thilthorpe will slip to GWS pick.

Probably the same reason why we feel the need to abuse each other on here when we all support the same side.
Yeah, it's odd, isn't it? :think:
The ad hominem (personally abusive) comments like:
"Only an idiot/w***er/moron/(insert abusive describer) who knows nothing about football would say [whatever is being attacked]" are the worst.

{Come to think of it, they're very Trump-like and almost social-media-trendy eg after the Vice-Presidential debate, Trump called Harris "this monster", here:
""This monster that was on stage with Mike Pence, who destroyed her last night by the way, but this monster, she says no no there won’t be fracking, everything she said is a lie," Trump said ...". :huh:
Very 'Presidential' :rolleyes:.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tru...ng-vice-presidential-debate/story?id=73498918}

1) ... what won me over was he actually played like he gave a Sh&t when the team were losing and more senior experienced players were just sulking.
2) Every team needs a great role player with an unflappable attitude that you can rely on when the chips are down to just do their job. Keays is that type of player for us.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:
1) Yes, won me over too. When I heard he was a de-listed player, I thought there had to be negative reasons for that but he's turned out to be a real asset. Like all players he made some errors, but I never saw him do something that made me think "Jeez, that was weak" like some of the experienced players when the Crows were playing so badly.
2) Keays strikes me as having real footy awareness, gives 100%, and has a knack for getting himself out of tricky situations in traffic with great evasive skills. I was disappointed to see Greenwood go; Keays reminds me of him, but at 23 Keays should get even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back