Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Players can play harder and longer without fatigue meaning team defense and running both ways is easier which should translate to lower scoring and then they'll come up with a new rule of 16 vs 16 to combat that.

That's my thought. It makes the exhausting defensive tactics easier to sustain. Therefore it favours reduced scoring. Yes it allows the TV to keep the game about the same length and pad it out with ads. But it's not going to make footy better

That's my thought. It makes the exhausting defensive tactics easier to sustain. Therefore it favours reduced scoring. Yes it allows the TV to keep the game about the same length and pad it out with ads. But it's not going to make footy better
The more defensive, the more stoppages, the more playing time chewed up with nothing.
We are losing actual play because coaches are wasting valuable broadcast time with nothing. Less stoppages and more open play is what it needs and please don’t listen to important figures in the game who say zones or reduce player numbers. They’ve lost their marbles.

The reason why the changed it was because the game has continually elongated with all of the stoppages.

A 20min quarter with time on used to mean 28-30min quarter length.

But as coaches used congestion and stoppages as a tactic the actual quarter length now pushed up to well over 30min.

The actual quarter length using the 16min quarter + time on was still ~ 25 minutes.

25-30 minute quarters are what playing length should be, not that big a deal really.

Games were getting too long and quite frankly were tough to watch if your team wasn’t involved.

So let's change the rules for people who don't support either team that's playing? That makes a lot of sense.

I have never met anyone, anywhere, who ever thought games were getting too long.

I think the dynamic of round 1 was completely off
Teams didn’t know if they would be playing til late
The games were played like and felt like pre season games
It was weird to watch

I don’t think we can get a proper picture of the shorter quarters until crowds are back. I will make my judgement then when teams are going 100% not at 75%

He's entitled to view things any way he likes. On this matter he is dead wrong. It was woeful football.

It seems the AFL and coaches (Clarko and other dopey pricks reckon 16 a side!!!) want to try everything under the sun that they can think of other than reverse what caused the problem in the first place: interchange.

The NRL reduced it for the better. Fancy being dumber than the NRL
My old man is big on this "interchange is the problem" also. I think the biggest change to the game has been professionalism, every bloke on the field can run up and back, end to end, all day.

I don't dislike watching footy either way. Let it be what it will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It takes a lot of effort for me to get to a live game, with the kids and coming from a regional area. Why bother for 16 minute quarters? The media types see too much footy, so they’re bored. This is our Australian game. The more we make it generic the worse it is. I smell Craig Hutchison and his stupid American obsession behind this?

hutchy certainly isn’t getting smaller

Players are better prepared than ever, coaches are doing things smarter than ever, and teams are developing better tactics. The key thing is that the old days of one on one are dead. If you want to go back to those days (like the media etc) then you can make all these changes, but unless you outlaw team tactics you cannot unmake the omelette.

These shorter quarters make no sense football wise. They reek of the same mindset that thought AFLX would take over the world. instead it sank due to lack of interest.

My old man is big on this "interchange is the problem" also. I think the biggest change to the game has been professionalism, every bloke on the field can run up and back, end to end, all day.

I don't dislike watching footy either way. Let it be what it will be.
“ I think the biggest change to the game has been professionalism, every bloke on the field can run up and back, end to end, all day.”

No doubt the players are fitter and professional but try doing this without regular rotations on the interchange.

And everything I have said on here re: interchange hasn’t mentioned the ridiculous situation where a player sprints off the ground after kicking a goal - just when his confidence is highest and also that dopey situation where a few of your best players are standing in the interchange area trying to get back on but can’t because play is so far away, and of course if the ball is 100 metres away, so will 36 players be.

It happened to West Coast when they won the premiership, I believe. Players who were supposed to be on the ground, couldn’t get back on.

Maybe the necessary cull of Football Department staff may result in less influence from so-called sport ‘science’. These are the clowns ruining our game.

Yeah, if you follow what the coaches want and produce battering rams going flat out all the time, you need to manage their time on the ground. If you limit interchange they will need to adjust the way they play. If there are any sport science staff left they will have to teach players to conserve energy.

My guess is with reduced interchange, sport science becomes less relevant maybe saving the clubs money.

26 rounds. No byes. 36 more games brings more cash into the game and allows for rolling fixture where over each two year period each team plays all others three times plus one extra derby/showdown. Fixes the finances and delivers a far more equitable fixture.
Simply start a week earlier and have the GF a week later. Easy.
More footy = win/win/win.
AFL fixed.

26 rounds. No byes. 36 more games brings more cash into the game and allows for rolling fixture - over each two year period each team plays all others three times plus one extra derby/showdown. Fixes the finances and delivers a far more equitable fixture.
Simply star a week earlier and have the GF a week later. Easy. More footy = win/win/win.
AFL fixed.
So it's not an even fixture still

26 rounds. No byes. 36 more games brings more cash into the game and allows for rolling fixture where over each two year period each team plays all others three times plus one extra derby/showdown. Fixes the finances and delivers a far more equitable fixture.
Simply start a week earlier and have the GF a week later. Easy.
More footy = win/win/win.
AFL fixed.
Doesn't fix a single thing.

72 rounds and at the Grand final is decided by a coin flip and both teams provide chips and arnottes biscuits.

Group shoey is optional

Back