Certified Legendary Thread Keep North South - Eugene pays us a visit

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Big Footy Crew

I continue to feel unconditional warmth from the North Melbourne family, which as you would all have observed, still has a very powerful impact on me some 6 years after leaving as CEO.

First things first - Heath and Ange did a brilliant job with this masterpiece. Hard to believe when I started in early 2008, we had half a full time person doing our media. Appointing Heath in late 2008 was without a doubt one of the most significant decisions I made. I remember that he actually came across for less than what he was earning at Channel 9. Within a very short period of time he improved our media profile and brand significantly and the rest is history. The best media man in the business. Remember also that North was probably the first club to actually employ a journo to manage an AFL club's media - hard to believe!

The doco speaks for itself and by necessity, a number of things ended up on the cutting room floor. That said, it beautifully captured the mood, emotion and circumstances of the time. Bravo Heath and Ange.

It seems bizarre that someone that supported Collingwood for 40 years would fall so hard for North - many of you would not know that I was actually a Board member at Collingwood. The fact is that North has supporters like no other club. I fell in love with the club as soon as I started to meet the supporters - on a stiflingly hot family day (my first real club supporter function) I was embraced by a supporter who was recovering from cancer - she simply came up to me, embraced me in a hug and said "thank you so much for coming to North". She was tired and weak, yet the sheer love from someone who did not know me was overwhelming. That was it - from that time on it became personal.

Two other observations:
  • it was Saverio Rocca's wife Rosa who convinced me to join the Roos. They are friends and I mentioned to them (down at Rye - where else) that I was thinking about joining the Club, but was not 100% sold on the idea - Eddie McGuire had been on the phone trying to convince me to stay at Collingwood and not go "to that mob". Rosa made a point of saying it was the most welcoming and wonderful club. She told me some of the stories about their time at the Roos and that was it - I was sold!;
  • the other "moment" was the phone call I received from Arch once I was accepted the job (before it was made public). He rang within a few hours of me being appointed and immediately made me feel like he was best mate. He welcomed me in such a genuine way, that I knew I made the right decision. He remains a good friend.
There are so many stories that then floated through the 5 years I was at North - the highs (Mazda renewal, the Huddle, Shareholders, Building, the staff, the players, beating Collingwood in my first year) and a few lows (Boris the chicken, the 100 point losses) - but as I have said previously, the most exhilarating, rewarding, challenging and emotional time of my life. There are a few more stories to tell!!

I will forever be grateful for my time at the Roos and it was an honour that is very humbling - to this day. None of it would have been as rewarding without the support of the North faithful - who always made me feel welcome.

Go Roos!!
Euge

PS - I do not live in Adelaide. Melbourne is my home but my work has me travelling a fair bit, so I can't get to as many games as I would like.

Very glad that you came on board.

Hi Big Footy Crew

I continue to feel unconditional warmth from the North Melbourne family, which as you would all have observed, still has a very powerful impact on me some 6 years after leaving as CEO.

First things first - Heath and Ange did a brilliant job with this masterpiece. Hard to believe when I started in early 2008, we had half a full time person doing our media. Appointing Heath in late 2008 was without a doubt one of the most significant decisions I made. I remember that he actually came across for less than what he was earning at Channel 9. Within a very short period of time he improved our media profile and brand significantly and the rest is history. The best media man in the business. Remember also that North was probably the first club to actually employ a journo to manage an AFL club's media - hard to believe!

The doco speaks for itself and by necessity, a number of things ended up on the cutting room floor. That said, it beautifully captured the mood, emotion and circumstances of the time. Bravo Heath and Ange.

It seems bizarre that someone that supported Collingwood for 40 years would fall so hard for North - many of you would not know that I was actually a Board member at Collingwood. The fact is that North has supporters like no other club. I fell in love with the club as soon as I started to meet the supporters - on a stiflingly hot family day (my first real club supporter function) I was embraced by a supporter who was recovering from cancer - she simply came up to me, embraced me in a hug and said "thank you so much for coming to North". She was tired and weak, yet the sheer love from someone who did not know me was overwhelming. That was it - from that time on it became personal.

Two other observations:
  • it was Saverio Rocca's wife Rosa who convinced me to join the Roos. They are friends and I mentioned to them (down at Rye - where else) that I was thinking about joining the Club, but was not 100% sold on the idea - Eddie McGuire had been on the phone trying to convince me to stay at Collingwood and not go "to that mob". Rosa made a point of saying it was the most welcoming and wonderful club. She told me some of the stories about their time at the Roos and that was it - I was sold!;
  • the other "moment" was the phone call I received from Arch once I was accepted the job (before it was made public). He rang within a few hours of me being appointed and immediately made me feel like he was best mate. He welcomed me in such a genuine way, that I knew I made the right decision. He remains a good friend.
There are so many stories that then floated through the 5 years I was at North - the highs (Mazda renewal, the Huddle, Shareholders, Building, the staff, the players, beating Collingwood in my first year) and a few lows (Boris the chicken, the 100 point losses) - but as I have said previously, the most exhilarating, rewarding, challenging and emotional time of my life. There are a few more stories to tell!!

I will forever be grateful for my time at the Roos and it was an honour that is very humbling - to this day. None of it would have been as rewarding without the support of the North faithful - who always made me feel welcome.

Go Roos!!
Euge

PS - I do not live in Adelaide. Melbourne is my home but my work has me travelling a fair bit, so I can't get to as many games as I would like.

Never in doubt Euge :thumbsu:

images

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

Thank you Eugene for responding and for all of your efforts.

You truly are a legend of this club.

images-4.jpg

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

Brilliant stuff Euge!!

Any chance you can get Rosa Rocca to call Josh Kelly on the clubs behalf?

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

Well that has made a lot of people's day. We will always have a special place for you at North. You were always remarkably polite, replied to email when you didn't have to and we felt that we were very much included during your tenure. Hope it all goes well for you trying to herd the CAMS sheep in the same direction. We may not be large but we are unyielding. Go Northerners.

Brilliant stuff Euge!!

Any chance you can get Rosa Rocca to call Josh Kelly on the clubs behalf?
Get her on the books. If she help get a rusted on 40 year Collingwood supporter over to the good guys a few players should be no issue.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Such an emotional roller coaster. Couldn’t believe how close it all came to ending. RJ f***ing legend status for orchestrating. I saw him and DeRauch sitting on a park bench at the new Arden St a couple of years later happily chatting. Should be immortalised in bronze.

Posted this at the time. Still brings a tear to the eye.

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

As an observer more than a contributor on BF over many years, I share the overwhelming positive response to the video, it was well and truly an emotional experience for me to watch it and all those who remember so vividly that very traumatic time as we were under an attack unprecedented by AFL and their chosen media acolytes. There is a lot of discussion about who played there part at the time, and there were plenty, but I just would like to acknowledge the incredible efforts by our team during that year.

It was so important that the team were competitive when we were under such intense attack, and for our coach Dean Laidley to keep the team competitive was so crucial, and with the core senior players of the calibre of Simpson, Archer, Harvey, Rawlings, Petrie, Grant etc to perform at such a consistent level to make a Preliminary Final was truly astonishing.

Such an emotional roller coaster. Couldn’t believe how close it all came to ending. RJ f**king legend status for orchestrating. I saw him and DeRauch sitting on a park bench at the new Arden St a couple of years later happily chatting. Should be immortalised in bronze.

Posted this at the time. Still brings a tear to the eye.

Thanks for the re-post drew. glassy eyes and goosebumps again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

I sent you an email of half a dozen north supporters that weren't members and you personally called each one of them and got them all to sign within a couple of days.

They couldn't believe it.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

From one Euge to another, my wife (who is the Caracas in my life) is often a little bemused, but supportive, of my affection for North. When we watched "Keep North South", she was silent until you appeared. She said how much she admired you all along. At the end, she said the programme nearly brought her to tears and she could understand me now

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

Thanks so much for popping in and giving your time to the supporters, you have no idea how much it means to us to have a person like yourself associated with the club.

I still remember shooting the club an email about a random occurrence at a match, may have been wrongly reported attendance figures or the like. And to my surprise the next day I got an email from the CEO, One Eugene Arocca, assuring me that you were personally looking into it as you "didn't like it" either.

Made my day to know that someone so high up at the club was so ready to engage with the supporters on the level of equals.

So thanks again Eugene, you'll never know just how much you mean to some of us.

Hi Big Footy Crew

Two other observations:

Go Roos!!
Euge

Euge, you brought tears to my eyes when I watched you speaking on the documentary and you’ve just done it once again! Thank you for all your efforts to ensure our great club is now heading in the right direction off-field and we are more than happy that you now consider yourself a Shinboner!

Last edited:
As the very definition of a lurker (<10 posts a year over 16 years) I hope Eugene appreciates that he’s dragged me out of hiding to say thanks for his magnificent (if way too brief) time in the top job. A true hero of the club, who we, and all the current players and coaches owe so much to. Was fantastic to see how emotionally invested he still is in the club, and hopefully his service is properly recognised by the current regime. Thanks.

I read big footy most days and hardly never post but this discussion is to close to my heart not to have my say..

A big thank you to everyone involved for keeping North South..

Go Roos..

Well done 19 posts in 9 years, so you share your thoughts twice a year:)

I am nominating you for the ,' most understated post of the year' award :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back